Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

99SL2AT - '99 Saturn SL2

Volvo - '04 Volvo V70 2.5T
My trip is about 20 miles each direction, about 15 at 50 MPH, 4 or so at highway speeds and about 1 at 25. I was able to get 37-41 MPG on a tank during the Summer in my 99 SL2 AT. I just got my 14s back on (lost a tire and had been running the 17s until just a couple days ago). Ethanol-free fuel seems to be good for about 3MPG.
The cold weather does take longer to get to operating temp and I can't get into 4th gear for about a mile. Been about 32 MPG with the 17s lately. They seem to be happier at highway speeds because of the weight. I took a 120 mile highway trip the other afternoon to pick up some different 14s for the front and was able to manage 37.41 for the trip. I'm hoping to get back to my best tank of 41.6 with the 14s and the weather getting warmer.
Mods are 14" aluminum wheels w/185/70R14s. 44 psi front. 40 rear. 1" spacers on rear with smooth wheel covers. Just put Civic wheels on the front (smooth wheel covers were warping with brake heat). Passenger mirror delete. Front grille block with 4 holes about 1" each. 3" front air dam. Alignment : camber close to zero, minimal toe-in. IAC valve was unplugged in the Summer to control idle fluctuations in neutral. Many more mods to come.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayed 01 View Post
ladogaboy, are you doing eoc or p&g? Its tough always killing the engine in the city.
No, I'm not using either. Just choosing routes carefully, timing lights, etc. P&G doesn't work well in my car, and I don't want to turn my engine off while driving. All of my coasting is done in gear or in neutral with the engine on. I could probably gain another 5-10% in fuel economy if I went into extreme hypermiling mode.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well just got work and had the worst commute ever. 12 miles on the highway in traffic. Never got about 20mph, most was 10mph. I got my scan gauge last night so Im able to monitor things. I got 28.0 mpg on this trip. Not to bad considering this is as bad as it gets for commuting,many stand stills. Off the highway around town I do alot of shuting the engine off at lights, I think that hepls.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Sprayed 01 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayed 01 View Post
Well just got work and had the worst commute ever. 12 miles on the highway in traffic. Never got about 20mph, most was 10mph. I got my scan gauge last night so Im able to monitor things. I got 28.0 mpg on this trip. Not to bad considering this is as bad as it gets for commuting,many stand stills. Off the highway around town I do alot of shuting the engine off at lights, I think that hepls.
Arghhhh, I know the feeling. In the good 'ole daze I was allowed to drive in later to work, so I could avoid the worst of the traffic. Those days are gone along with about 3 MPG.

There is a fellow on this forum who salvaged and restored a 1st-gen Honda Insight, which was capable of 60+ MPG :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ater-1263.html

However, he is a student at UCLA, so he is in the MPG black hole of Los Angeles (trust me on this), so he was getting maybe 30 MPG last time I heard.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've had my 1995 SC2 5sp for about 12 years. The best Ive seen is 42mpg, short freeway trip drafting (safely) some trucks. Worst was 15mpg when the ECTS went out, then 25mpg when I was racing around town in college. Pulled a trailer with a small motorcycle and bikes and other stuff cross country, got 22-29mpg. averaged about 37-38mpg doing all highway 65-70mph commutes for work (while making $0.58 a mile, good way to make money)
Now I use it to carry me and my tools to job sites, on my last tank I got 32mpg in 75% stop and go traffic, I turned off engine if 10 seconds or more wait is expected, coasted in neutral.

Reply  Post New Thread