Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
You are most welcome!

Did you not just say you need no fe schooling? What I just gave you -free!!!- was marketing advice.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Lil Sulf - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 47.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
You are most welcome!

Did you not just say you need no fe schooling? What I just gave you -free!!!- was marketing advice.
I was hoping for something else. I don't think my employer will let me deliver pizzas in a skirt. Even the girls can't do that >.>

And that's without a Scangauge o.O
Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Perhaps giant pizza decals on the skirts, or signage for your employer on them, would help? Can't see it effecting tips, but your boss might give you an "atta boy"!

I know: we are fond of pizza pan wheel covers... you make up a set WITH PIZZA ON THEM, clear urethane the pies right on there, drive around with pizza wheels.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Lil Sulf - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 47.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Perhaps giant pizza decals on the skirts, or signage for your employer on them, would help? Can't see it effecting tips, but your boss might give you an "atta boy"!

I know: we are fond of pizza pan wheel covers... you make up a set WITH PIZZA ON THEM, clear urethane the pies right on there, drive around with pizza wheels.
Signage on the wheel skirts . . . hmmm.
Actually a good idea.
Thanks Frank.

And that's without a Scangauge o.O
Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedproductions
About once a month I think "Man I could save a lot of money on gas if I delivered with a scooter. And then I remember I'd have to balance 4 bags at once while driving it. Ah well. I can dream.
In addition to bike delivery solutions like saddle bags/front mounted trays/racks that I would imagine are more pervasive than cars in big cities, an idea comes to me when thinking about alternatives to gas cars here, when all the deliveries are going to be local: Electric car. Depending on how many miles you typically travel during a shift, and how long you plan to make deliveries your source of income, going all electric might be an economical decision as well.

As for improving your car, it really is a bummer that you have an auto, because most of the advantage you can get in a city setting is through P&G. There is absolutely no uneven tread wear nor traction reduction when pumping your tires up, and in fact I put mine to 50psi when my sidewall says 44, but 44 or whatever your tires' sidewall says maximum will suffice. Basically, as thatguitarguy said, the key to efficient city driving is touching any of your pedals as little as possible. The best way to accomplish this is P&G, you have an auto so like others said I wouldn't recommend P&G although if you know of lights that regularly take a bit of time to change, I think it's worth shifting to neutral - I've found driving the automatics my family has (subaru forester & toyota tundra), idle speed goes down and you can tell it's not constantly "trying" to move forward when in Neutral. I also coast in neutral with the engine on on very long stretches (long hills), but other than in these two scenarios, I keep it in drive, and try my best to achieve a quasi pulse and glide in drive. Aero mods have been very effective in my 98 Civic EX (~43-44mpg to ~48-50mpg in the summer), but you need to do a lot of 40+mph travel to see the benefits of aero mods.

The best/easiest thing you can do aside from driving habits in a city setting is reduce as much vehicle weight as possible and keep the tires pumped to max sidewall rating so that when you are stuck in a stop and go situation, it will cost the engine as little energy to get the car moving as possible. Low rolling resistance tires are a big help too if you can find them on craigslist or have money to spend on new ones, but unless you have giant knobby jeep tires, won't afford you nearly as much benefit as driving techniques.

Good luck and welcome to EM!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Aero mods have been very effective in my 98 Civic EX (~43-44mpg to ~48-50mpg in the summer), but you need to do a lot of 40+mph travel to see the benefits of aero mods.
Yeah, that's why I was a little hesitant to endorse the grill block. Slow speeds and lots of stoplights mean that a grill block is probably more risk than reward in this application.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
The only reward a grill block has in a city driving setting is a small thermal benefit during the winter months, but even then if you look at my fuel log, there isn't really much difference from the first winter (no grill block) and this last winter (full grill block). I didn't get on the ball this year about installing a block heater, which is another great suggestion even if it isn't wintertime.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
Do not be afraid to go up to the max tire pressure...not much ride difference between 42 and 44 psi. I have also found that those rim damaging chuck holes will often not damage a rim or tire when pumped up to the max...with less air pressure you bend a rim AND hurt a tire!
fwd honda ..and automatic. those motor mounts must have the bushings buried to rock hard already...

try a 32psi tread.
are they 15 inch?

limit stomps on throttle. about all can do.

tricking electronics is all over the place, find some hacks, pretend it is full WOT (working operating temp) all the time.

Reply  Post New Thread