Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Speedy Gonzales - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
I think the major petroleum company's sell their products with everything your engine needs...
Putting "snake oil" additives in the mix is just a waste of money and potentially harmful.

A good Injector cleaner once a year is probably a good idea...

As for engine cleaners like seafoam...not in my engines!!

I've torn down engines of mine with over 200,000km on them, and there is absolutely no sludge anywhere, or carbon buildup...Just a nice, even tan discolouration in the combustion chambers.
I run Mobile 1 synthetic, and nothing else....

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I've torn down Nissan-Datsun Z car engines that had a knock, only to find it was carbon. The years were 81-83 inline 6 cylinders. There was about 40% of the top of the flat top piston (earlier models dished) that was just a little more than 1 millimeter from the cylinder head. Add enough carbon and you get a knock that sounds TERMINAL.
The worst trip I ever had was 180 miles to DC to pick up a car for a customer who made that drive to my shop for his service. Hauling a 2900 pound Z car behind a Toyota truck (4cyl) with no trailer brakes at 3 PM in the afternoon, at the intersection of the DC beltway and I95 south, after a flat with no jack is a migraine for sure.
I would take my old Binks Number 7 paint gun and fill it with water, remove the air cleaner and set the gun in front of the intake, use vise grips to lock the throttle at 2k RPM and set the gun to provide a good supply of atomized water. Leave it until the paint gun cup was empty and test drive, rinse and repeat if necessary.
That would clean the carbon up nicely, visual inspection as well as test drive verified the results and I never had any problem with the cat or emissions systems since the water delivery was very well atomized and not excessive to the point of liquid becasue of the paint gun.
I did that to the car I towed for almost 200 miles (DC nightmare trip) and told the customer I fixed it in 1 hours labor. I guess I could have told him I took the head off but he paid me well for the nightmare tow and I did not believe in telling people tales for profit, even when I could without them ever figuring it out.

regards
Mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (12-02-2012), mackerel (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy99 View Post
I am surprised this method of adding Marine Spec TC-3 2 cycle oil. Mixed at 1 oz/5 gallon hasn't been thoroughly disscused here? am I missing a thread. This additive seems too good to be true for states that only have gas diluted with ethanol.
I use this (TC-W3) in my Infinity G35 in every tank.

Last edited by Beau; 12-02-2012 at 11:45 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Beau For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (12-04-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #64 (permalink)
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
Wmjinman

I give you lots of credit for wanting to do this Amsoil P I testing. It is a dedicated scientific method you spelled out. I think Metro will be proud. I know he is not an additive fan, but he is a thorough testing evangelist no matter the idea.

I may ask the chem lab guys, who are always doing diesel fuel testing, say about there knowledge of all things additive. These chemists have a wide background from more than just diesel engine manufacturers, so I have to guess they have encountered either tests or research over the years in their line of work for other Detroit OEMs.

Either way for me, the once and a blue moon upper cylinder lubricant / solvent from chevron, Lucas, or other known manufacturer can not hurt, but won't break th bank. I make sure to avoid the 10% ethanol blend just because you get less energy per gallon anyway. So I don't spend much on additives, but I don't expect an MPG increase either.

Your testing will show if more people should try some testing too.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Thanks WesternStarSCR,

I'm really starting to wonder if this test will just be a huge waste of time, gas & money. But I guess I'm committed to it, now. I was doing some "on-line research" (gotta brush-up my "scientific background" and all), and along with Old Mechanic and others, wondering if the occasional water spray is enough. In fact, some of the stuff I read was saying that along with the unwelcome loss in power per gallon (translating to lower MPG) of the ethenol blends, a BENEFIT of it is it cleans the engine internals really good - making any other steps redundant.

And after reading Wungun's story about finding a 200,000 mile engine to be internally clean, I remember when I blew up my first & second Buick 455 engines in my '71 Riviera. And now that I think about it, I'm not remembering any excessive build-up of any kind of "junk" in there, either. Come to think of it, when we replaced the heads on my '73 Riviera, there wasn't excessive junk in there, either.

Well, anyway, I'll soldier-on with the test. Actually, that kind of driving might really raise my lifetime MPG averages!! Whoa - and if the Amsoil works.....

Wungun, one question: Why no Seafoam in your engine? Maybe I shouldn't do it any more, but why? Just a waste, or does it do harm?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #66 (permalink)
Busting Knuckles Often

Team Chevy

Team Toyota
TC-W 3 instead of Amsoil additive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Thanks WesternStarSCR,

I'm really starting to wonder if this test will just be a huge waste of time, gas & money. But I guess I'm committed to it, now.
Well, anyway, I'll soldier-on with the test. Actually, that kind of driving might really raise my lifetime MPG averages!! Whoa - and if the Amsoil works.....
Wmjinman: if I were you I would go with the TC W 3 2 stroke oil if you want to test. Easy and cheap, caveat is measure carefully and shake before pouring. Look at prophecy99 posts above, and the one that references the testing started on the LS1 forums in 2008.

I am going to join the ranks of 1 oz. per 5 gallons like a lot of other folks.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post343402

Whoever starts a thread, I will follow.

This mod almost ranks on being so cheap and already researched so much on so many forums that an MPG gain is bonus, it's use as a UCL and to help against E10 issues being the main reason it caught on.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #67 (permalink)
Enigmatic

Black Beauty - '09 Dodge Ram 1500 BigHorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Thanks WesternStarSCR,

I'm really starting to wonder if this test will just be a huge waste of time, gas & money. But I guess I'm committed to it, now. I was doing some "on-line research" (gotta brush-up my "scientific background" and all), and along with Old Mechanic and others, wondering if the occasional water spray is enough. In fact, some of the stuff I read was saying that along with the unwelcome loss in power per gallon (translating to lower MPG) of the ethenol blends, a BENEFIT of it is it cleans the engine internals really good - making any other steps redundant.
I'm new around here but I've been an Amsoil user for two decades and a rep for quite a while now.

I don't think your planned test is a waste of time but you might not get the same results advertised, although you probably will get some positive results if you haven't used a fuel cleaner in a while. Here's why, any product like the Amsoil PI (or insert your favourite fuel additive here) is tested on a cross section of "average" vehicles, not vehicles owned by enthusiasts who are manic about vehicle maintenance. That said, if your vehicle has the conditions the product is designed to alleviate then you will likely see a bigger improvement. If your vehicle is in good condition any gains may be minimal but you help prevent the condition from building. You will likely also find more benefit in older vehicles. Newer motors are less susceptible to buildup.

I do use the product, about twice a year in my truck (every 10 - 12k miles) and once a year in my VW Cabriolet prior to inspection because it does help with emissions. Because I use it regularly I don't perceive a difference after using it. However I have definitely observed MPG benefits in used vehicles I have acquired over the years. Because of my observations I feel it is useful as a preventative.

As far as any other additives I think they are snake oil at best and in many cases will do more harm than good, particularly in you oil. My opinion on oil, switch to a full synthetic and use 0w - XX (with XX being whatever the higher number the manufacturer calls for). Even in warm climates the 0w will help at startups increasing the lubrication at start up, decreasing wear and increasing mpg early in your trip.
mcrews (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #68 (permalink)
Busting Knuckles Often

Team Chevy

Team Toyota
Welcome to Ecomodder

Thanks for the info, and for your candor on the subject regarding being a rep for Amsoil.

You make a great point that a lot of testing results never seem to mention the CONTEXT that they were tested in.

Pouring any decent cleaner / lubricant into a well tuned car will be hard pressed to work as well as if it was poured into an obviously negleted car.

We have a discussion going on using TC-W3 as a readily available, inexpensive gasoline additive with a long positive history of DIY testing and results from other internet forums:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post343706

Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to WesternStarSCR For This Useful Post:
mcrews (12-18-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread