EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Any Worthwhile Additives? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/any-worthwhile-additives-3211.html)

LaneLester 06-20-2008 10:40 AM

Any Worthwhile Additives?

Are there lubrication and/or fuel additives that provide more value than their cost?

What about additives to the crankcase? At least one forum member is a Tufoil enthusiast; are there others on here who use it?

What about fuel additives? Fuel injector cleaner favorites? How often should they be used?

Lane

rocket 06-20-2008 10:54 AM

synthetic oil.

lasts longer than regular (less oil changes = save money over time), less resistant (less power overcoming friction, more turning wheels)

ebacherville 06-20-2008 10:55 AM

id say fuel injector cleaner int he gas ever few tanks would be a good.. keep the injectors cleaned and spraying at the best possable..

Im also a Seafoam fan.. its amazing what that stuff will clean out of a motor..

MetroMPG 06-20-2008 11:07 AM

Engine oil weight selection will have a larger impact on efficiency than regular vs. synthetic (ever wonder why the synthetic oil makers don't claim improved MPG on their products?). Go for the lightest weight oil recommended for your vehicle use/temperature range.

RH77 06-20-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacherville (Post 36672)
id say fuel injector cleaner int he gas ever few tanks would be a good.. keep the injectors cleaned and spraying at the best possable..

Im also a Seafoam fan.. its amazing what that stuff will clean out of a motor..

I definitely agree. Seafoam is one the best solvents I've come across. You can put it in the fuel tank for the injectors, the crankcase before an oil change, or draw it into a vaccum line to really clear out the gunk/carbon. (Afterwards, it's a good idea to install a PCV "Catch Device" to prevent the oily residue from forming again in the intake manifold, etc.)

SF goes into every internal combustion engine in my garage (including the mower). Some recommend AutoRX, but Seafoam can be bought at most auto parts stores.

I must caution, as the carbon burns-off during the vaccum draw, it produces copious amounts of white smoke. On vehicles that are really loaded-up, it may take a bit of driving (a few miles) before the smoke disappears.

RH77

Zukibot 06-20-2008 12:06 PM

I've been using around 5oz. of 2/3rds Marvel Mystery Oil & 1/3rd Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant every other fill-up or so in the Zuki. The SX4 has a 11.9 gallon capacity fuel tank.

I don't feel comfortable claiming a MPG increase, because it's so subjective, but I have noticed a 1.4 MPG decrease when not using this mix.

I am thinking about trying this locally made fuel additive called E3 Fuels, next.

regor 06-20-2008 09:09 PM

I've been happy with Tufoil. Been using it for 20 years or so. Never had any problems with my vehicles. Always noticed a lower RPM and higher MPG. When I had my 98 Dodge Ram, I had the infamous engine knock. This knock was so bad, it sounded like two sledge hammers hitting each other. Dodge said nothing was wrong and the noise wasn’t hurting my engine. For whatever reason, it wasn’t until the Ram hit 40,000 that I put tufoil in, within 1-2,000 miles, the knocking was gone. Sadly, or happily, Dodge was forced to buy back the Ram (Lemon Law) and that was it.
I use Mobil-1 in all my vehicles, probably just for that added protection. I also tend to put some Marvel Mystery Oil in my fuel tank every other fill up. I will stick a can of B-12 in the fuel tank 1 fill up before my oil changes.
Probably 25 years ago, a friend, whose father was a manager at a local Pep Boys, convinced me to buy a fuel catalyst called “Propel”. I wished another “real” fuel catalyst, such as Propel, which you added to the fuel tank, would come out.

PolyOlefin 06-25-2008 12:41 AM

Everyone should learn about FP+ by LCD, Inc. It is unlike any fuel additive on the market, using a different main ingredient (I don't remember what). It's been around for many decades but only recently been revamped and offered to the average consumer over the internet. It is not a shock dose additive, but a maintenance dose product. I use 1.5 oz. every tankful.

Terry Dyson of Dyson Analysis has repeatedly expressed his positive opinions on FP+'s abilities as an upper cylinder lubricant, combustion chamber/fuel line/fuel injector cleaner, and a fuel pump lubricant. It also acts as a gas stabilizer, though some have claimed it's not so great at that. The home consumer makes up a small portion of their customer base, as the company usually sells in bulk to organizations (Durham Transportation school buses, Bay City, MI school buses, Government of Mexico, etc.). From what I can gather, their main business comes from school bus and trucking companies.

I've been using it for almost a year, though I can't give you any MPG improvement figures. I don't have any records of gas mileage prior to using FP+ so there's nothing to compare. They don't make any outrageous claims; FP+ *may* increase gas mileage because reducing combustion chamber and fuel injector deposits will make for a more efficient engine.

I am a believer because countless UOAs at the BITOG forums have shown improvement with Fuel Power. Tribologists there agree that it works incredibly well. Take a look at the website and the product analysis of FP+ and LC20.

I was planning on starting a whole new thread dedicated to getting people to try FP+ and observe any changes in gas mileage. I have a lot of faith in Terry who does my oil analysis, so some of that confidence spills over into the products he supports.

Buy it! I want to see objective data on this additive.

regor 06-25-2008 08:00 AM

I've read about FP, but I guess what prevents me from trying it is that they want almost $10 for shipping.

Lazarus 06-25-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolyOlefin (Post 38135)

I was planning on starting a whole new thread dedicated to getting people to try FP+ and observe any changes in gas mileage. I have a lot of faith in Terry who does my oil analysis, so some of that confidence spills over into the products he supports.

Buy it! I want to see objective data on this additive.

Probably should start another thread on it because this will get way off topic.