Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Slowpoke - '06 Saturn Vue Base
90 day: 22.88 mpg (US)
I have an UltraGauge and a Vacuum gauge installed! Kill switch will kill my battery in -20°C temperatures.

I think all I can do on this truck is try to shave some useless weight, as all other things I will do are aeromods wich are kinda useless in city commuting. I might change for a 195° T-stat but Im scared it will overheat in city or traffic with my grille block.

I looked into underdrive pulley to save fuel from accesories sucking up power and a lightweight flywheel but it seems it wont do any good. I thought a an way to turn off the alternator under acceleration.

Thats about all I can think of right now, I looking for some of your experience advice, thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
Pump the tires up to sidewall max +.
Don't idle at all ever.
Get a block heater.
Don't stop moving, keep it rolling.
keep the heater off until the engine is warm.

Last edited by dirtydave; 01-05-2015 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: *strange internet time lapse / black hole
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtydave For This Useful Post:
BenArcher006 (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
I originally started this thread and am glad to see it again.

We still have the Vue and it's proven itself to be a darn good vehicle. It may have a little road noise and some clearly cheap plastic bits but it's been utterly reliable and routinely delivers 25 mpg (give or take) to my wife (80/20 in-town). On top of that it's hugely flexible with it's 5-door layout and comfortable for my family of 5.

As far as tips: unfortunately I don't have many.
The car does seem to be heavily affected by cold temps (losing 2-3mpg in winter time) so I have to believe a well designed warm-air intake could be beneficial in colder weather.
Warm-up times also seem a little long-ish (not terrible, but too long for my liking) but you've already done a grill block.

Other that that keep your shift points low (neither of us typically exceed 2000rpm between shifts), tires inflated and coast for all it's worth (my wife is a master at this). That's all it's taken for us to get mid to high 20's from it on a consistent basis.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Slowpoke - '06 Saturn Vue Base
90 day: 22.88 mpg (US)
Well I've looked into the kill switch mod and will probably install one. I have shop for a block heater and some pan heaters.

I have planned to do all the possible aero mod, antenna removal, passenger side mirror delete, some kind of a spoiler in the back to try to lower drag, lowered and widen lower front air dam, lowered suspension, biggger but narrower lrr tires, rear bumper extensions, rear tires spats, etc.

Will have to wait in the summer as I don't plan on messing with the truck at -26°C! Loll

Thanks DirtyDave for the inputs!

Reply  Post New Thread