Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
I argued with Aptera about making a diesel or a 3 seater, they are only focused on CA at the moment, if they would start selling outside CA they should definately make the diesel version they made initially prior to this hybrid nonsense.

The diesel overall did better than their hybrid long term.

Also something the diesel folks never touch is the fact that diesel exhaust can be cleaned up to CO2 & water using tapwater to clean the exhaust, even more effective with driveway salt mixed in, it would be irritating to change water but heck its cheap? My father had to change water for years on the diesel orecars he drove underground.

THeir overall design and cost should be cheaper with a diesel, too bad they lost interest.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
It doesn't do you much good to win the X-Prize if your company goes the way of the Bricklin, DeLorean, or Tucker. In fact, deliberately pursuing some goofball prize at the cost of corporate survival is a betrayal of the concept.

One thing that killed those three marques was the fact they could not get an acceptable engine at reasonable cost. Things are more competitive these days. With demand way less than capacity, Aptera could get a small engine at a reasonable cost.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 06-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
ice

I thought the whole premise of the Aptera was to be a diesel-powered high-mpg vehicle.My apology for not keeping current.In the Air Force I used the term "assumed" in front of a 1st-Sargent and I thought I'd never hear the end of that.Looks like I can no longer "presume" that anything will turn out as mentioned in the press.My hope was that Aptera would push the public mind into a new paradigm,embracing rational commuter vehicle design.Has Aptera lost the pair-of-dimes necessary to underwrite that?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
aerohead -

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I thought the whole premise of the Aptera was to be a diesel-powered high-mpg vehicle.My apology for not keeping current.In the Air Force I used the term "assumed" in front of a 1st-Sargent and I thought I'd never hear the end of that.Looks like I can no longer "presume" that anything will turn out as mentioned in the press.My hope was that Aptera would push the public mind into a new paradigm,embracing rational commuter vehicle design.Has Aptera lost the pair-of-dimes necessary to underwrite that?
I never assumed it would be a diesel. I thought "hybrid first", but capable of any drivetrain that could fit into the engine bay. It's original RWD configuration screamed for a (Tri-Magnum style) motorcycle option.

I agree with the paradigm shift, but I think it's mostly a shift in terms of no-compromise aerodynamics that can (eventually) translate into "pretty" in the mind of the consumer. To me it's basically a wingless Beechcraft. Even the front wheels look like fixed "aero-covered" landing gears.

Also, if you satisfy California emissions, you satisfy *all* markets. The company's based in California, after all.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't understand the concern about a 30 or 40 mile commute with a vehicle like this. Eight years ago I had a US built vehicle (GMs EV-1) that had a range of 120 miles. My commute was only about 40 miles per day but I could have easily commuted 90 miles each way with the car. On my longest day my boss and I went off to an out of town meeting in the car and that day I covered about 240 miles in the car. (We drove off to the meeting and charged the car while we talked and drove back after charging. Granted it was a long meeting.) It is a bit of shift in thinking but the EV-1 typically had a 120 mile range every time I got into it because it was typically on the charger either at work or at home. Now, it is common for me to get into a car with only a 30 mile range and have to stop to fill up. I wouldn't hesitate to use a car like the Aptera for a long commute.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
In such an environment, the Aptera’s excellent aerodynamics are nearly neutralized. An electric xBox or Smart would be just as good in an urban environment – if not better.
Only if we ignore the extra $30,000 in cost, of which a small part, maybe $5,000 or so, could probably upgrade the Aptera to a larger pack.

Besides, it isn't as if we're talking about a huge difference in range. An eBox weighs in at a bit less than twice what the Aptera weighs, and has twice the drag coefficient as well as ~1.5-2 times the reference area, so even with a 35kWh pack, in the city it's probably equivalent to a ~13-15kWh pack in an Aptera. The stated pack sizing for the Aptera seems to be ~10-13kWh, so you're really splitting hairs IMO. The only place it would make a huge difference is when the vehicle isn't moving w/ the AC and accessories on, and even then the Aptera may fare well since it's composite body won't transmit as much energy to the cab and it has to heat/cool less than twice as much interior.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

The current spec on the Aptera battery pack is 17-23kWh, and the stated range is 100+ miles with two adults, luggage, on the highway, and the A/C on. So, 120 miles should be easy with one adult and no A/C; and more if speeds are lower or ecodriving is employed -- who knows?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Shoot, w/ a 17-23kWh pack they'll blow stuff like the ebox out of the water in terms of range. A vehicle with about half the weight, one less wheel, and less than half of the CdA will still perform better than something like the ebox with half the energy all other things being roughly equal, basic physniks.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

An even greater problem for Aptera, and for that matter any other competitor in the FE race is what do you register it as. If it's a car then they have to deal with all those pesky government regulations such as crash standards, etc. I know of one person in the Seattle area creating an all electric kit car that will be registered as a motorcycle (1200# empty) to avoid regulation. You notice Aptera calls it a vehicle and not a car.

Back to the question, gasoline would be about the easiest conversion to make. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear "unusual" designs like the Aptera will suffer a similar fate as the Segway. People as a whole are mostly conservative when it comes to parting with large sums of money.

The practical side to FE is that with the growing standard of living globally and the increase in automobiles, there is just not going to be enough oil to power them all. It doesn't take a genius to know that with future fossil fuels being in short supply electricity is the only real solution. Which by the way is right where Aptera is situated.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Having three wheels is not a savings. Rolling resistance is almost linear with weight. A trike is theoretically a bit lighter, and usually more streamlined, but the wheels all have to break trail on wet or soft surfaces, and they don't draft behind each other.

Reply  Post New Thread