Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
It was Edison2 that did amazingly well in the 40% offset head on crash test; mainly because of deflection. The chassis glances off of the object it hits, and this extends the time available to absorb the energy. Also, low weight helps reduce the energy level of the crash.

Combining low weight and longer time frame, is what makes a vehicle safer. Time can be provided by larger size of the crumple zone and/or deflection.

I think the Arcimoto SRK is a good design. It is weakest in the aerodynamic drag aspect. Like the Elio, a large part of the drag is the open front suspension and drive shafts, and that is why the Elio has moved to full wheel fairings. The Elio is much longer, and that helps the aero. In the second video there is a drawing comparing the Arcimoto to the Elio, Smart, previous generation SRK, and Lit:

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-22-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
It makes them do well in the test but nothing can break the laws of physics. The test is always into a barrier which simulates crashing into a car of equal size and weight. The average car one of these things will hit will be 3 times the weight or more. It will be like what a current Mirage or similar looks like after it hits a F350 at speed. Or what a F350 looks like after hitting a cement truck. Basically in a 50 mph collision between 2 cars, the big car goes from 50 mph down to 25 mph, a 25 mph difference, while the small car goes from 50 mph to -25 mph, a 75mph difference.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Thanks N.B., that's helpful. It looks like boat tailing it to the length of the Gen 7 would be about right.

I think the Edison2 had the best solution for the front suspension, but I doubt you could combine the in-wheel steering and a driveshaft.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The momentum equation is just one part of crash safety. Injury comes excessive g loads, impacts, and penetration wounds. Avoidance ability, crush zones, passenger restrains, and passenger cell integrity all play a part.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
The momentum equation is just one part of crash safety. Injury comes excessive g loads, impacts, and penetration wounds. Avoidance ability, crush zones, passenger restrains, and passenger cell integrity all play a part.
True, try telling that to the family suing the company when their 16yo kids get crushed in something like this. I do think Archimoto is doing it right compared to Elio. Elio is pushing to make theirs a car, no special license to drive, no helmet required, while talking safety on their webpage. Archimoto seems to be better embracing it is a motorcycle which everybody agrees is 1/2 way to a death wish already. This is safer then a motorcycle but I still wouldn't let my kid drive one.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
Meh? Aside having three wheels (and being a real thing), I'm not sure how this is in the same league as Elio. The big draw of Elio is the fact that it's a car, with (presumably) the same amenities and finish that that entails.

This thing looks like a toy. The body panels certainly make me think of those bulky, ugly cab enclosures for side by sides.

Image: Biegler's C&S Motorsports Aberdeen, SD (800) 750-4533

Doesn't really appeal to me.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Well, that doesn't appeal to me either. Too bad things bring up these bad associations.

Where was that thing made? What powers it? The Arcimoto has compound curved glass and surfaces and no exposed fasteners. I don't see the similarity.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I studied mechanical engineering and have followed auto safety for forty years, working in the auto body business and later passenger rail car construction. I am designing body shells for scooters and bikes to minimize air drag and injury. With five children on the road I take this very seriously. In most states a tricycle vehicle is to be registered a motorcycle. We can contact our state legislators to change the laws for light vehicles so that trikes that meet federal roll over standards be exempt from helmet use. Lawsuits are for recovering damages for negligent behavior such as knowingly leaving off gas tank shields or not recalling ignition switches known to fail. There is plenty we can do to make sure family members and friends are well informed about vehicle safety. I have lost friends in car and truck crashes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-02-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So the family who got millions from Chrysler when they put 11 people in a 7 passenger van and rolled it a few times were wrong? This is the problem with the legal system in the US. There is no disincentive to sue somebody and juries think corporations have unlimited money to give away to grieving families. I guess nothing makes you feel better about losing a kid then a few million in the bank, actually you will probably just get a little peice while lawyers get the millions. If it's really about justice start ripping engineers away from their families and putting them in prison if it was so bad. If a jury was willing to do that then I would agree it was a serious case. Taking money from a company is nothing to them.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Yes, the Elio is supposed to have all kinds of features that the Arcimoto will not, which just makes the Elio seem less realistic to me. They are promising everything that they can, and Old Mech will have a tadpole first.

Reply  Post New Thread