Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arduino + OBDuino32K

Hi,

I'm new to Arduino and MPGuino, OBDuino, etc

I want to install an OBDuino gauge in my car.
So I went to search for OBDuino32K's code and some support on how to program it in the Arduino.
However, I just found information regarding MPGuino.

Can anybody tell me how to get an Arduino + OBDuino32K ready to install in my car, please?

Thank you

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2011, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
- Locate your car's OBDII connector (to ensure you have one).
- Buy an arduino, OBD connector, cable, LCD display, your choice of case / materials.
- Look up the OBDII pinout for your car, as some of the configuration of OBDuino depends on it.
- If you do not have an OBDII port, you'll need to setup with MPGuino - very easy after you find the injector and speed signals.

- If your car is using the ISO standard, buy the MC33290 (or alternative SI9243-AEY) chip and follow the ISO implementation steps on the Opengauge website.

- If your car is using the CAN standard, follow the steps on the opengauge website for that.
Likewise for any others.

Next, build a case for your setup.

I realise this post fragments, but that's because there are a few different implementations and it's mostly specific to your vehicle.
Further, OBDII is not in every vehicle after 1996, outside of the US. Here in Australia, my newer 2003 Pulsar has an OBDII port, but my 1997 Sonata has only an ALDL connector (so I set that up with MPGuino instead).

What car are you driving, go find an OBDII connector in your car, before setting out for OBDuino.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer!

My car is a Seat Ibiza TDI (Diesel) from year 2000.

I've already ordered this: Arduino Nano, HD44780 LCD, MC33290 IC, 2N3906 transistor and two resistors.
I deduced my car's OBD protocol was ISO since its OBD plug has 12V, GND and ISO-K pins. I could also confirm it here.

So far, so good

Just a few minutes ago I found this.
This is ODBuino32K's source code, right?

The main question is: after assembling all the hardware parts how should I proceed to "send" OBDuino32K to the Arduino?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
I didn't realise it was possible on diesel (but I don't know a lot about diesel's).

The source code you linked to is indeed the right source code (here's a cleaner link http://opengauge.googlecode.com/svn/...obduino32K.pde), what you need next is the arduino IDE - you can download it free from the arduino website, right here:
Arduino - Software

The code is easily loaded onto the arduino board via USB - you plug your USB arduino board into your PC, upload the code to it using the arduino software's upload button.

Once done, safely remove the arduino from your PC, and then set the OBDuino up with the other pieces - connect LCD display, ISO driver chip (MC33290 - where are you getting yours from?! - link please!), and resistors.
You might want to find an OBD plug for a cleaner install (i.e. to connect the OBDuino to the OBDII port in your car).

Note: I said in the above to put the code on the arduino board before putting your components in, the reason for that is so that your board is ready to go.
After you upload the code, then connect the display and other pieces.
Then, plug it back into USB so you can see the display works and the buttons work before proceeding further with getting it into the car.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow... I thought it was much more difficult
Thank you very much!

I've ordered MC33290 from eBay. Here's the link: 1 pcs MC33290 SOP-8 33290 IC New | eBay
I haven't ordered the Arduino yet. I think I'll choose this one: Arduino Nano V3.0 With ATMEGA328P Robotics Media Module | eBay
What do you think? Will this do the same as a Duemilanove or an Uno board?

I decided not to buy an OBD plug - I will solder the cables from the Arduino directly in the terminals of the OBD plug (behind).

Reply  Post New Thread