Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Looking to do a Digital Fuel Adjuster

As above, found a old JayCar Digital Fuel Adjuster that really can work.

I have two ways I can change the Air/Fuel Ratio and get about 30% better MPG in a 2000 Mercury Grand Marques running a mainly stock 4.6, that is I can go from 27/30 MPG to 35 to 39 MPG.

Looking for a better less complex sampler than the old JayCar unit...

Rich

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

How do you define "better"? A quick Google search shows that the Jaycar unit works by fiddling the air-flow signal (primary load measurement) going to the fuel injection, telling the car that less fuel is going in than actually is. That makes the engine run lean, producing less power and using less fuel.

If you run lean enough for long enough, you can damage your engine. Combustion temps will generally go up, and hot spots can form on head or piston. Those can eventually fail, leading to a loss of compression, and extra metal parts bouncing around inside the engine. Not exactly what you want.

So what kind of "better" unit are you looking for? One that works on a different principle? One that has more manual control? Less manual control? One that gives you more range of adjustment? Something else?

I suspect that for most of those, you'll have to design and/or build them yourself.

Also note that lean mixtures produce high NOx, and may be bad for your catalyst in the long term.

-soD
Old 12-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
How do you define "better"? A quick Google search shows that the Jaycar unit works by fiddling the air-flow signal (primary load measurement) going to the fuel injection, telling the car that less fuel is going in than actually is. That makes the engine run lean, producing less power and using less fuel.

If you run lean enough for long enough, you can damage your engine. Combustion temps will generally go up, and hot spots can form on head or piston. Those can eventually fail, leading to a loss of compression, and extra metal parts bouncing around inside the engine. Not exactly what you want.

I have found my Ford can run 16.5:1 which is not all that lean...

So what kind of "better" unit are you looking for? One that works on a different principle? One that has more manual control? Less manual control? One that gives you more range of adjustment? Something else?

All of the above: JayCar no longer offers these units so I will need to recreat a new one, I was thinking a less complex board and chip set might be out there.

I suspect that for most of those, you'll have to design and/or build them yourself.

Also note that lean mixtures produce high NOx, and may be bad for your catalyst in the long term.

-soD
I only want it to run lean at a light cruse setting, just like the 80s TPI Camaro could do, specially the ones sold down under.

Rich
Old 12-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
Apexi AFC is what I use. It's a load based air fuel controller. Can go lean or rich. You can find them on craig's list or ebay. Craig's List is usually cheaper, you don't need a later model, an older one works just fine. I get mine from $60 - $100.
The Following User Says Thank You to iveyjh For This Useful Post:
oldtamiyaphile (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks. Those look good.

IS there any other such devices?

Rich

Last edited by racprops; 12-10-2014 at 02:35 AM..
Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyjh View Post
Apexi AFC is what I use. It's a load based air fuel controller. Can go lean or rich. You can find them on craig's list or ebay. Craig's List is usually cheaper, you don't need a later model, an older one works just fine. I get mine from $60 - $100.
I'm just wondering why this isn't a more common mod. After all DIY LB for $100, that's go to be tempting

Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
A 30% improvement would break all the laws of thermodynamics.
I would guess maybe a 5-10% improvement at most.
The Following User Says Thank You to mechman600 For This Useful Post:
Cobb (12-13-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
A 30% improvement would break all the laws of thermodynamics.
I would guess maybe a 5-10% improvement at most.
That is insane.

There are many on this very site claiming such improvements and more.

Anyone that has done ANY research KNOWS the 14.7 A/F ratios are NOT the best for the car or MPG it is correct for the Cat, it insures left over gas to keep the cat hot and running.

The 1980's Camaro TPI system could do it outside the USA with the hidden Lean Burn Cruse setting turned on, in the USA they got 20/25 MPG outside the USA same car could do 30/35 MPG.

When turned on within the USA the car could also do 30/35 MPG.

Rich
Old 12-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The following might be useful:

The Jaycar DFA is one of three similar units.

A Digital Pulse Adjuster - PWM signal in, altered PWM signal out with the PWM input frequency the same as the output.

An Independent Electronic Boost Controller - PWM signal in (intended to be injector pulse width), programmable PWM signal out with the PWM output frequency fixed at a constant, programmable, value.

The DPA - voltage in, altered voltage out with 0-1V, 0-5V and 0-12V ranges.

All three units require a Hand Controller unit to program them so the cost of that will have to be factored in. (One unit can do all three.)

They are listed in Jaycar's back catalogue so should still be available, from Australia at least.

The kits were developed in conjunction with Silicon Chip magazine and descriptions of them - complete with how they work, circuit diagrams, full scale PCB images, schematics and assembly instructions - are available in book form in "Performance Electronics for Cars". (There are a number of other interesting/useful kits in that publication similarly described.)

Silicon Chip makes available, accessible from a link on the company's website, programmable PICs for projects that are described in the magazine. It's possible that the programmed PICs for these units are available that way i.e. it's possible the kits can be duplicated.

You won't be able to use the DPA to alter air:fuel ratios at part load by altering an air flow meter signal. That is because you can have high or low engine loads at less than full air flow and can't distinguish between them. You should be able to use an altered MAP signal voltage to do so, if you have speed-density based engine management. (I think the Ford 4.6 does not.)

Using the DPA for introducing lean burn with an air flow meter, you would use the 0-1V range on the adjuster to change the O2 sensor voltage the ECU sees. That would only affect closed loop - by definition light load - air:fuel mixtures, so should be safe. Be careful though because the air:fuel ratios learned in closed loop may be extrapolated into high load open loop. You will also be limited to changes within the fault code error parameters of the ECU self learning.

Consider that when used to alter the O2 sensor signal it is only the air:fuel ratio that can be altered, not the ignition timing. Altering a MAP or air flow meter signal will alter the ignition timing because it moves the engine load:rpm point on both ignition timing and fuel maps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Occasionally6 For This Useful Post:
oldtamiyaphile (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
The following might be useful:

The Jaycar DFA is one of three similar units.

A Digital Pulse Adjuster - PWM signal in, altered PWM signal out with the PWM input frequency the same as the output.

An Independent Electronic Boost Controller - PWM signal in (intended to be injector pulse width), programmable PWM signal out with the PWM output frequency fixed at a constant, programmable, value.

The DPA - voltage in, altered voltage out with 0-1V, 0-5V and 0-12V ranges.

I have two of each of these, I don't have the boost Controller..

All three units require a Hand Controller unit to program them so the cost of that will have to be factored in. (One unit can do all three.)

I have two of these.

They are listed in Jaycar's back catalogue so should still be available, from Australia at least.

They do not have the DPA any more.

The kits were developed in conjunction with Silicon Chip magazine and descriptions of them - complete with how they work, circuit diagrams, full scale PCB images, schematics and assembly instructions - are available in book form in "Performance Electronics for Cars". (There are a number of other interesting/useful kits in that publication similarly described.)

Silicon Chip makes available, accessible from a link on the company's website, programmable PICs for projects that are described in the magazine. It's possible that the programmed PICs for these units are available that way i.e. it's possible the kits can be duplicated.

You won't be able to use the DPA to alter air:fuel ratios at part load by altering an air flow meter signal. That is because you can have high or low engine loads at less than full air flow and can't distinguish between them. You should be able to use an altered MAP signal voltage to do so, if you have speed-density based engine management. (I think the Ford 4.6 does not.)

The Ford has a voltage changing MAF. Range is 1 to 5 volts.

Here I would like more info..That is what they said it was for and I can seemly cause the A/F Ratios to change BUT the fuel trims seem to correct for it by adding fuel YET the A/F ratios stay lean...

Using the DPA for introducing lean burn with an air flow meter, you would use the 0-1V range on the adjuster to change the O2 sensor voltage the ECU sees. That would only affect closed loop - by definition light load - air:fuel mixtures, so should be safe. Be careful though because the air:fuel ratios learned in closed loop may be extrapolated into high load open loop. You will also be limited to changes within the fault code error parameters of the ECU self learning.

It is the 1 to 5 volt range.

Consider that when used to alter the O2 sensor signal it is only the air:fuel ratio that can be altered, not the ignition timing. Altering a MAP or air flow meter signal will alter the ignition timing because it moves the engine load:rpm point on both ignition timing and fuel maps.
I also have devices that will change the O2 response...

Rich

Reply  Post New Thread