Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

sorry this is switch

http://www.cadentech.com/smartswitch.htm

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmithrt View Post
Would simply interupting this field coil wire actually turn alt off and on. I think one of the small wires is for the dash light correct? How much juice goes through this field wire? My thought is to just interupt during acceleration like some do with a/c. I know it would only save a little, but would like to use this switch for both if current not too high.

Yes, interrupting the circuit could (and should) actually turn the alt "off." Supposedly there isn't much juice going through the field circuit, just a few amps.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmithrt View Post
Hmmm -- interesting: a Load-Based A/C auto-disconnect...

RH77

_
_
Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Hmmm -- interesting: a Load-Based A/C auto-disconnect...

RH77
My problem is my a/c is on when my defroster is on, no manual overide other than to turn fan switch off. I remember to hit the a/c button during acceleration during the summer, but always forget during winter.
I figured if I am going to get this switch for my a/c clutch anyways why not have it interupt the field coil of the alternator during acceleration also. This is all dependent on:: Does interupting the field at one wire actually turn off alternator (and is this safe to do) and does the combined amperage of said field and a/c clutch current exceed 8 amp limit of switch. Has anyone safely used this method (for turning off alternator, manually or auto) and what is the avg current of said field. Link to switch again and THANKS!!

http://www.cadentech.com/smartswitch.htm
Old 03-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Why exactly would you want to disable a/c and/or alternator when accelerating vs cruising? What is the logic behind it, cause I can't really figure it. If I was trying to get the most hp to the wheels then it would make perfect sense, but since I'm shooting for FE I would be inclined to do exactly the opposite and disable them when cruising and enable them when accelerating.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Why exactly would you want to disable a/c and/or alternator when accelerating vs cruising? What is the logic behind it, cause I can't really figure it. If I was trying to get the most hp to the wheels then it would make perfect sense, but since I'm shooting for FE I would be inclined to do exactly the opposite and disable them when cruising and enable them when accelerating.
Well maybe I'm wrong. I was taught in 7th grade physics that it takes alot more energy to move something from standstill to x speed than to maintain x speed once attained. Imagine two identical cars. Lets say 3000lbs, both with 2L 4cyl engines, auto trans. On an imaginary 300mi straightaway with stop signs every 2mi. It's a very hot muggy night and there are deer crossing signs everywhere, so both are running a/c and high beams. Both are identical except one has a little electric motor that gives it a 10hp boost from 0-55 and then cuts out everytime it accelerates, (kinda like a Honda Civic Hybrid)
Which car would have used the least gas at the end of the 300mi if they both travel side by side?
I do understand that your way would indeed achieve better overall economy at the end of the same aforementioned trip. But it would first require at least one deep cycle battery and a driver who is not only much more tolerant of heat than I, but also with better night vision. I guess I would rather have the brighter high beam lights and a cooler car interior. That would indeed be a tradeoff on my part.
The little 10hp motor on the imaginary car above can be had (more/less) by cutting off the a/c and alternator during acceleration.
Then again, maybe I'm wrong. If so please point out my flaw before I spend 80 bucks on this switchy thingy. THANKS
Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The way I was thinking about it is that due the the ICE nature to be more efficient at high loads, the fuel cost of an hp at high loads (acceleration) is less than an hp at low loads (cruising).

Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
The way I was thinking about it is that due the the ICE nature to be more efficient at high loads, the fuel cost of an hp at high loads (acceleration) is less than an hp at low loads (cruising).
You're statement about an ICE is indeed true to the best of my knowledge. Ideally I would use you're method and just go WOT between stop signs until I reached a velocity that allowed me to shut engine off and coast to the next stop sign, with a/c and alternator only during that time, it just isn't practical in the real world. I admit that my way is just a workaround to save a little with the way cars are designed today.
I figure coasting as far as I can to a stop sign once doesn't really save me alot of fuel, but do it everytime the oportunity presents itself and it can really add up. Same on the other end, if I relieve my engine of 10hp of work while it is trying to get me up to speed everytime it will also add up.
Honda does it with the aforementioned Civic Hybrid, I believe they call IMA and now even GM has there own little starter/alternator/motor that accomplishes the same principle. The one thing those and even the Prius have in common is they all work to remove work from the ICE during acceleration. For the most part this greatly boost their city numbers. Most of their highway numbers can be beaten with a VW 1.9L turbodiesel.
I don't have the 1000's it would take to re-engineer my little Mazda Protege to work the way these vehicles do, but I figure if I can do at least some of what they do for 80 bucks and some wire that I may actually see my ROI before the car rusts out.
The Mazda is EPA rated for 22 city 28 highway with a 2L auto trans. Mostly through driving technique and a few little mods so far I avg between 29.5 (lowest in winter with winter gas (CNY winters that is) and 34.8mpg my best tank avg I considered accurate. I would just love to break that illusive 35mpg I can't seem to get (w/o royally pissing off other drivers that is)
I did just build one of those PCV condensators. No not the simple air compressor water seperator ones. Pretty neat little device. First day of driving
(40mi or so) collected 4-6 drops of oil. Not bad considering my engine is still pretty tight and only 55k on the odo. I don't believe the MPG claims at all, but if it keeps my engine cleaner and would just give me that 0.3 mpg I need to break 35MPG then it was well worth the 2hrs and $30 for materials.
Sorry so wordy today, but my original question and reason for post was,,,
Has anyone actually used the field coil wire to effectively turn their alternator on/off safely and any idea of the juice involved. THANKS
Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A PCV catchcan is on my todo list. I was going to go with the compressor water separator, but I would like to see how you did yours. Could you please post it in a new diy thread?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
I"m not lurking!

Porthos - '96 Chevrolet Cavalier
90 day: 31.3 mpg (US)
My plan was to disable the alt. except when NC or decelerating (the automatic trans keeps the rpm @1100 during NC on hills). I hadn't thought about the higher engine efficiency during acceleration. Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind if the "free" energy isn't enough to keep the battery charged.

Reply  Post New Thread