Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aerodynamics of DIY Camper/Tiny Home

I am seeking feedback - if it is possible.

I am looking at the likely possibility of working on the road for a couple years. One of the options to do that would be to live in a camper of some sort with my partner. So I am looking at options for building something for that purpose.

For various reasons I am looking at doing something in the following dimensions/specs for a camper trailer:

Interior height - 6.5 to 8 feet tall
Exterior width - 6 to 8 feet wide
Length - 16 to 24 feet
Weight - 3000 lbs or less to be towable by 4 cylinder tacoma or a ridgeline

From what I have read, I get that keeping the height and width as small as possible (so that the trailer is as close to within the dimensions of the tow vehicle as possible) are probably the two biggest factors. I had originally wanted to do something that would be a pop up style for this reason but feel a bit overwhelmed by figuring out the mechanics of that. I haven’t ruled it out but for the moment I am leaning against it.

I am also aware that a fifth wheel would probably be better aerodynamically but for the moment I am just considering a basic trailer model.

I guess my main question has to do with which of the following four shapes are the best aerodynamically if they were all the same dimension? Or are there too many other factors to make this an answerable question?

1. Airstream/Casita shape

2. Bow Top Wagon Style

3. Large Teardrop

4. Or modified Traditional Tiny Home Box Style with angled front and roof pitches designed to improve aerodynamics.

Thanks, Bill

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread