EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Autospeed article "Diesel LPG - an Amazing Breakthrough" (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/autospeed-article-diesel-lpg-amazing-breakthrough-21074.html)

meelis11 03-21-2012 04:33 AM

Autospeed article "Diesel LPG - an Amazing Breakthrough"

Hi,
I just read this article about LPG as diesel additive fuel.
Diesel LPG - an Amazing Breakthrough

Anyone wants to experiment with DIY solution? :)
If it would be cheaper, then it looks good.

Meelis

mechman600 03-21-2012 09:52 AM

technocarb.com

I saw a demo on this product in a training course I was in. I know a couple of people who have used similar systems and they work well. Fanning LPG into diesel engines is an age-old trick. Farmers used to make homemade propane injections for their tractors to help pull them through tough spots in the field.

oil pan 4 03-21-2012 10:15 AM

Been there done that.
LPG + Diesel is nothing new.

I don't recomend home made LPG. I gave up on it a long time ago.
If you can get the LPG at little to no cost then go for it.

I think water injection or water/methanol injection is the way to go.

Water injection - EcoModder

slowmover 03-21-2012 10:24 AM

Wow, talk about a press release posing as journalism. (Longer, thicker, and greater endurance).

There are already some discussions hereabouts on LPG conversions, not to mention extensive discussions on vehicle specific boards. So, outside of what appears to be sophisticated software/electronics/mapping (worth knowing about) this conversion has a lot to do with taking advantage of a substantial price rebate (gee, caveat emptor, wonder who lobbied that into existence?), and, short of knowing the price differential between LPG and diesel in AU (the key factor), not to mention availability nationwide, one is left with a few points to consider:

- In N.A. diesel engined personal vehicles are overlarge, not at all lacking in power.

- The network of roads existing is such that, despite rough terrain, there is not an analogy to "the Outback" where an entire trip may take place on unpaved surfaces outside of the first and last miles.

- The energy content of diesel versus the energy content of LPG is about a one-third advantage to diesel. But prices here are that LPG is three-quarters the cost of diesel.

Thus, as "we" need neither a performance boost, nor are in great need of extending the range of diesel fuel carried aboard -- less do we have a tax advantage for making such a change -- this "article" as it applies to N.A. is worthy for the potential electronic mapping data (which for pickups can be understood by pursuing that around EFI LIVE) and issues of reliability (if only we had similar drivetrains to compare) by noting suppliers names. That's about it.

euromodder 03-21-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meelis11 (Post 294729)
Hi,
Anyone wants to experiment with DIY solution? :)

You can't DIY it in Europe as all LPG installations need to be installed by certified installers - just like on a petrol car.

I'd be surprised if the US allow DIY LPG systems.
Over there, I wouldn't like to face the liability by tinkering with LPG.

For personal vehicles, the ecological advantage is still there, but economically it's cost-prohibitive as only about 30% of the diesel is replaced by LPG. It's even less economical on a vehicle that's already some years old.
I informed about it some ime ago ;)

It works out well for high fuel consumption vehicles though - busses, trucks - in an environment where LPG is a lot cheaper than diesel and readily available.

For anyone doing the investment, mixing diesel and CNG or even LNG is more attractive as you can substitute about 70% of the diesel with CNG/LNG.
And it's most worthwhile when doing it right away when getting a new vehicle.

oil pan 4 03-21-2012 01:50 PM

Propane is expensive and some what hazardous.
Water is cheap and nearly harmless.

In europe and the EU would the government have a strangle hold on a water injection systems like they do with LPG based conversions or modifications?

Peter7307 03-21-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 294779)
You can't DIY it in Europe as all LPG installations need to be installed by certified installers - just like on a petrol car.

I'd be surprised if the US allow DIY LPG systems.
Over there, I wouldn't like to face the liability by tinkering with LPG.

Essentially the same regs apply here.

DIY installation IS legal BUT the system must still meet legal requirements and the owner of the vehicle must provide evidence of that.

So realistically it means a certified installer inspecting and issuing an approval certificate for your DIY work. Good luck with that one!

By the way no certificate or approval number means no registration for driving on public roads and no insurance either.

As a further aside having the work done and certified did not alter my insurance premium. I handed the certificate to my insurance company they amended the computer records and it was done.
Took about three minutes.

Peter.

oil pan 4 03-21-2012 11:19 PM

My propane install was DIY.

Tesla 03-22-2012 04:57 AM

I looked into this a few years back, and every time I asked the question of economy and reliability, the installers sterted "speaking in tongues", and deduced from this it was, as said above one of those energy rebate schemes, didn't make it any better for the engine or the drivers pocket, just a loop hole for the installers to get some additional cash turnover.