Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Bad Flat but made it home :)

I think this is the worst flat I have ever had!

It bike is related right and there are pics

I rode to work & started to notice a bad shimmy coming from the rear tire, but it was dark & I was almost to work. I left work & forgot to check the tire & the shimmy got really bad on the way home. When I got home I noticed the tire a bit low, so tried to pump up the tire, but it would leak air anything above 60PSI.

Hmmm weird? I inspected the tire and this is what I found...but first let me tell you how I protect fromm flats. I use a tube protector strip 2X thick version, 5x thick inner-tube With Slime to boot & supposedly a protector tire with 5,000 plus miles. Maybe the tires were just a bit worn out!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
radioranger

I think you got your money out of that tire, one reason i sold my gs 1000 was the tires and constant oil changes I did cost me almost as much as fuel, every 8k miles about 200 for tires and 4 oil changes since the trans and engine - clutch share the same oil , got pretty easy 50 mpg on the highway though
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Haha, I think the ranger is right- you got your money`s worth from that set!
I`ve worn through tire and tube before, but not through a Mr Tuffy while I was at it. Kind of weird how it held at low pressure, but I guess that was really lucky for you since you were able to get it home and deal with it in relative comfort.

Ride safe, now!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
Tires don't last forever. Someday my IRS tire will blow up. A dollar bill wrapped around the tube will get you home on a blow out.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I usually get 3-6 flats a year. Once had a flat on the last 10 miles of a century. Had 3 flats during the ride and was out of tubes. Two of us would sprint together could go a mile almost. I would ride the last hundred yards leaned over the bars as the rear tire was bottoming out. My friend would stop pump my tire enought and we would take off for another dash.We kept up with the group.

One thing that is always good is a bit of Tyvec, duct tape or a piece of plastic wrapper. Makes a boot enough to get you home. Had a friend who would super glue pin holes shut.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Btw there is nothing weird about wearing a hole in the tire. Pay more attention to what keeps you off the pavement in the future.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Two of us would sprint together could go a mile almost. I would ride the last hundred yards leaned over the bars as the rear tire was bottoming out. My friend would stop pump my tire enought and we would take off for another dash.We kept up with the group.
Far out!

My best flat story was due to a total brain fart that I can hardly believe I committed. An acquaintence with a cross bike asked about conditions a particular dirt road route that I had ridden many times on fat tires. Would he be able to get through okay with 32mm cross tires? I told him he probably could, but decided to check for myself by riding it on 26 x 1.25 Paselas. I took off with one tube in addition to my standard fixit stuff, which included pump, one extra tube, and no patches. How stupid! When I got the first flat, I was about 15 paved miles plus 6 or 7 dirt miles from home and it suddenly dawned on me what an idiot I was. I fixed that one and imposed a 5 MPH speed limit on myself in order to (hopefully) prevent any more pinches. That did get me home, but I sure felt like an idiot! After that trip, I started carrying a little box of self adhesive patches in my bag- just in case

Reply  Post New Thread