Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #141 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
As a classic car enthusiast I do realize the safety hazards but I do It anyways because I love it. Motorcyclists take an even larger risk but they still do it because they love it

I'm grateful the OP takes my comments as what they are: context. I like to think about FE matters iin the line of, first, Smart Spec that the vehicle is well-chosen and equipped for actual duty (not fantasy, as with so many 4WD pickups) and, second, through Smart Use where one of the pages of how to drive for economy concerns itself with routing. A DHS study released a few years back describes Americans driving as (approximately) going to 90% of the same places 90% of the time . . and a page from UPS/FedEx is to design a route which eliminates left hand turns altogether. Not only is this FE concious, but safety-concious. One is most likely to be severely injured/killed in a broadside hit.

Has an airbag ever prevented an accident? I think they make them more likely.

I believe this applies more to radial tires and anti-lock brakes than to a passive safety device. Case in point: One of our men was in a 65-mph head-on collision yesterday on the main oilfield highway with another tractor-trailer. Total vehicle destruction of both rigs. In a couple of phone calls to other drivers this is how I described it . . and the response was the likelihood that the drivers were dead. No, both walked away with bruises.

The tractors were so badly damaged that two of our other drivers passed the wreck and did not recognize our own vehicles. Believe me, this is significant. Truck spec is highly company-dependent.

Three point belts are great, yet the airbag is the saving grace.

It isn't skill, but risk minimization that matters in these things. We do as well as we can with Spec, but it is in Use that it all comes together.

Control freaks makes a front subframe kit for this car. It's a tubular type subframe that also converts to rack and pinion and updated coil over suspension. And I believe disc brakes in the front as well. If its not in that kit scarebird makes the conversions. That's probably about the farthest I'd go.

I do hope you make this a reality. No-slop steering is the indirect FE benefit (corrections per 100-miles a measurable concern) and any/all motions that minimize driver inputs over time/distance to maintain lane-centered is to the good. A very high "good".

EFI is great, but R&P steering is greater, IMO. Same for 4-whl disc (plus high tech radials).

Last edited by slowmover; 11-03-2013 at 12:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
slownugly (11-03-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #142 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
Understood, a head on wreck with the rambler as compared to another vehicle with airbags would be a scary thing indeed.

I think the suspension is setup for v8s though. Most guys won't dump that kind of money into a beater 6 cyl so they might not have that option. Could always make an adapter plate. I lm fine with the carb on this. I have experience with the carter yf 1 barrel. The only thing I'm worried about with the carb is what today's fuels will do to it. My 55 Chevy would barely run on it with points if it sat for just a month or 2.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #143 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
Driving sensibly in my rambler, I will be twice as safe than some idiot cruising down the road texting and eating breakfast in a brand new car.
The main issue is of course one of those idiots plowing into you while texting & doing whatever besides driving ...

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
slownugly (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #144 (permalink)

Team Honda
Yes understood.

This week is a big one for parts. Just got a call from the machine shop and the engine is finally ready for me to pickup and assemble!!! Only took 5 months :/ but I'm happy. My freshly acid dipped and sealed gas tank will be delivered tonight. I'm ordering floor pans tonight and I will be getting all the window fuzzies and door weatherstrips in the mail. Pictures to follow
Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #145 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
The only thing I'm worried about with the carb is what today's fuels will do to it. My 55 Chevy would barely run on it with points if it sat for just a month or 2.
I seek out and burn ethanol-free premium. There are two vendors within 10 miles, one on a regular route of mine. Ask for 'clear' or 'neat' premium and if they know what you're talking about, that's a good sign.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #146 (permalink)

Team Honda
There is one ethanol free by me but it's out of my way :/ I've been trying Lucas ethanol treatment in my Honda to see if it makes a difference. I saw in a hot rod mag there was an advertisement for another brand treatment. Would be nice if it works
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #147 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
[QUOTE=slowmover;398067]As a classic car enthusiast I do realize the safety hazards but I do It anyways because I love it. Motorcyclists take an even larger risk but they still do it because they love it

Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #148 (permalink)

Team Honda
First thing I thought I when I saw that video..... What a waste of a bel air!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #149 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
First thing I thought I when I saw that video..... What a waste of a bel air!!!
Sure you were not the only one...
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #150 (permalink)

Team Honda
Yay!!

This is precisely why the wiring has to be updated. I took the instrument cluster out and the corrosion cause several pins to break off. That's going on the back burner. Got lots of other work to do. The dash is coming out so I can find the water leak and start installing the brand new wiring harness. Oh yea and finish painting the pillars and doors.

Also note the gremlin drag car in the backround