Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni87 View Post
Oh okay that makes sense. I wonder what transmission is in the insight and if it would take a d15 �� That would be interesting to find out. Yeah that's the one thing that kills those Hondas is the gearing. Has anybody successfully swapped out the 5th gear or done the spur and pinion? Insights are super hard to find around here. Even online. If I could find one I'd probably go that route.
Looking at engines on eBay, it looks to me like the bolt patterns, ECA1 (Insight) vs. D15 are wildly different. You would have to come up with a custom adapter to make the Insight tranny and D15 engine play nice with each other.

The LDA (HCH1) engine's bolt pattern looks a lot closer, but I'm only looking at eBay pictures - what really is needed here is a measured drawing, and those are pretty hard to come by.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
We used to have a member called Old Mechanic that gave great automotive advice. Unfortunately, he felt it necessary to delete his account, so he now shows up as USER REMOVED.

He was a huge fan of timing chains.

I have had the timing belt replaced on two cars. There used to be places here where you could work on your own car in a repair shop and rent tools, but no longer. I was also crazy busy with summer school, so I paid a different shop a thousand dollars to do it for each car, although I was unsatisfied with both jobs.

One grand worth of gas would have transported me 14,000 miles in the Forester, but 22,000 in the Civic--with low compression!

So, in a car that gets 36 MPG, you would spend 22.5% of your gas bill in current prices on the timing belt.

I love my HX, but I needed to search high and low for her. It took months! I have averaged 44 MPG over 40,000 miles, but everyone insisted I needed to check my compression, my fuel economy was "horrible!"

Sure enough, two cylinders were at the minimum.

Lean burn is great, but although the 2000 Insight with a manual transmission was rated an ultra-low emissions vehicle, they redid emission standards in 2005, and the government decided it was too dirty, so that was the end of lean burn, although a few members have added it to their cars. People like to point out the CVT Insight was a super-low emission vehicle, it does not have lean burn!

The problem is that the oxygen sensors are prone to going bad (or something). I get a check engine light about once a month. I carry an old cell phone and a bluetooth OBD-II dongle. I make sure it is P1162, clear it, and keep driving. Many people consider Majestic Honda to have the best prices. I have found other dealerships with slightly better discounts, but I did not feel it was worth the extra time.

Someone kindly linked this in another forum: Honda Automotive Parts

Majestic shows the part, but my local dealership does not. The list price is $416.08 and many dealerships offer a 10% discount when you order on-line, but they ask $278.77, which is 33% off. Everyone who tried another brand sensor has said it did not work and they needed to purchase the expensive one.

Prices fluctuate, though. Autozone has the exact same one for $255, Amazon has it for $139.90, and here is one on eBay for $115.

Those are much better prices than I had ever seen, though.

Unfortunately, this might not fix the problem, and you may need a $1,000 Honda factory ECU replacement, but I am unsure there is more to the problem than the CEL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I think it was neat how that was handled. USER REMOVED got the disassociation he sought but everything he said is still searchable. The results run ten pages.

I'm a fan of timing gears.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'm a fan of timing gears.
Me too. Their only disadvantage seems to be an eventual impossibility to match them with VVT.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well, if you want to go New School, there's Here's How Koenigsegg's Camless Engine Of The Future Works
Old 04-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #36 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Not so far, I actually still like some old-school tech, no wonder I like timing gears

But you know, everything has its compromises, and VVT could be a valuable asset for a flexfuel engine in order to adjust its dynamic compression
Old 04-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I still like flatheads— the Fords, the BMW flat twin.

They are compact and quiet. Because they don't very breath well.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #38 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
I still like flatheads— the Fords, the BMW flat twin.
I still like flatheads too. Sure they have their limitations, but are still interesting to say the least. Sometimes when I look at the outdated engines still available here in Brazil, even though they're not so old-school as a flathead, I actually don't think the flathead layout would be so worthless at all. Eventually, a lower-revving flathead could remain quite competitive against some random higher-revving modern engine with a smaller displacement, and then comes also the lower stress provided by the lower compression ratio and eventually could also be easier to run leaner... But I'm sure Ni87 wouldn't be willing to do some backyard-engineering to a flathead and drop it into his XTerra
Old 04-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Compact for their size.

http://www.tbucketplans.com/bird-t-bucket-kit/

What were we talking about, again?
Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
What were we talking about, again?
Some way to improve Ni87's ride fuel-efficiency. I'm not sure if his XTerra has a mechanically-driven fan or a thermostatically-activated electric one, but the later is inherently more efficient.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-06-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread