Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
So that I am clear.
I dont believe there is 40lbs of deadening material to be found in the avg english car.
But if there were, AND you completely dismantled the interior to find it, why would you not put the (light weight) insolation INSIDE where it would work w/ 100% effecientcy (what ever that is).
If you don't put it inside then ANY inside noise (like the radio????) will sound like crap.
Remembering thwe the new material has a weight that you have to ADD to the UPTO 40lbs. THen when that material on the OUTSIDE gets wet, it gets heavier. ANd wont dry out in the closed environment of the underbelly pan. So the new weight stays.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938

Last edited by mcrews; 02-03-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
Something to keep in mind. The deadening material that is attached to the sheet metal is simply vibration dampening. It is not there to block noise from entering the car, and is not dense enough to be effective at doing that.

The noise insulation in the car is the carpet padding, and in some cars the heavy vinyl/rubber and foam backed sheet that covers the firewall. To block sound, you need dense material.

The deadening in a 1996 dodge neon weighed 32 pounds, including all of the asphalt based deadening, the carpet padding, the firewall mat, and rubber hole patches that keep noise from the frame rails from entering. It will take several days, a heat gun, and scraper to get all the asphalt deadening out. If your lucky at have a butyl based deadener, you could dry ice it, and tap it out with a mallet.

Your engine noise will increase, especially with the windows closed. The closed environment will create a resonant chamber, that will drone at whatever speed your engine reaches the resonant frequency of the car.

I'll never remove sound deadening again for weight loss, unless building a strict competition car.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
damunk

That's sound advice. I saw some clips where people who were putting dry ice on it, to get it to come off . lol

lol! haha

Last edited by damunk; 02-04-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
I have a belly pan and didn't notice any noise reduction. I removed the back seat, spare and parcel shelf in my hatchback for about 100 lbs of weight reduction in the VW. The downside was INCREASED noise. I added another 11 lbs on Dynamat sound deadener and still my wife would rather not ride in the car with the back seat out because of the tire noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
The Following User Says Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
mcrews (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Im all with toostubborn2fail advice.

I will also throw in, that over the past couple weeks since i added my revised full belly, and additional rear wheel weel inserts.
> Found Here

Mostly the rear wheel inserts have made a bigger difference than the belly in reduced road/tire/wind noise. Essentially.
Moreover added a resonent dampend material between
>Wheel:Wheel well lining/metal<
With 98% added reduction of high pressure air escaping out the wheel.

There's no easy way to reduce a prefab cars, noise level without Adding minute weight in materials specifically made for sound deadening purposes.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
I have a belly pan and didn't notice any noise reduction. I removed the back seat, spare and parcel shelf in my hatchback for about 100 lbs of weight reduction in the VW. The downside was INCREASED noise. I added another 11 lbs on Dynamat sound deadener and still my wife would rather not ride in the car with the back seat out because of the tire noise.
Makes sense, as dynamat is a vibration dampener. The seat, shelf, and spare were better at blocking noise than dynamat is. To block noise, you need a decoupled mass loaded barrier. Something like mass loaded vinyl, separated from the metal by closed cell foam, or lead with closed cell foam on both sides.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Winsight - '06 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.19 mpg (US)
There is indeed over 30lbs of sound deadening material in a small lowly neon. If you counted the undercoating I'm sure it would hover around 40.

40lbs in a larger vehicle is absolutely believable.

For what it's worth you definitely sound like you run management training exercises mcrews.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
40 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by damunk View Post
Thanks for that advice although with a little road car with lower bhp, you would be surprised that 40 lbs would make a difference.

But would be nice to know the answer if you can substitute it with belly pan. 4mm corex with 6 mm acoustic foam layer.
A 1,000-lb weight addition to my Civic cost me 2-mpg at a constant 55-mph.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

220 pounds of audio equipment cost me less than 1mpg at 70, per scangauge. With tolerances, it really wasn't measurable. In town might have been more, but my car doesn't get driven in town much.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Actually I'm surprised that one of our resident math/science/engineer types dont have an equation for this problem.
But we know that the issue is drag. Time is much better spent (and later enjoyed) smoothing out the shape.
That's why we always focus on:
1. increase psi (cheapest fix) worth 2mpg
2. Grill block - warmer engine & some aero gain
3. Belly pan - can improve are dramaticly AND is invisible.

All of my record setting cross country drives were done with more that 500 lbs of luggage in the car and trunk.
And back in Sacramento It was a struggle to get egual (much less better) mileage results.
so here's some math.
2002 Infiniti Q45 3800 lbs. add 500 lbs which is more than 15% of the original weight.
Get 34 mpg.
Remove the 500 lbs when i get home. Never got any better than 33mpg.
Note: went over the Great Divide......lots of down hill coasting!

your potential 30 lbs + new material 7lbs = 23 net loss. I bet it wont make a difference.
but try it your self. Get a spare tire and add it to the car. test run. Then take the tire out. test run. My gut says less that 1/2 a mpg improvement.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Reply  Post New Thread