Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Uber Geek

Mr. Scary - '07 Ford Mustang GT Race Car

The Truck - '12 Ford F-150 Scab EcoBoost FX4

The 5.0 - '12 Ford Mustang GT Vert Brembo Premium

Da Foci - '14 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsworld View Post
I'm in love with this thing... Truly a great car, a great project, and amazing fit and finish!

Please do post up pics of the axle pan when completed! I am planning a full body pan for my SUV, and the axle causes me trouble when thinking about air flow under the truck.

~C
Thanks!

I have a love-hate relationship with it, LOL! This summer I was "out of love". It didn't get much attention. But, I'm falling back in love again. This winter will be the last "go-through" on the car. I need to:

-Build a fresh motor (which is really the easy part)
-Finish the diffuser, axle skis and button up the aero
-Mount the new hood
-Up-size the entire fuel system (it's right on the edge now)
-Do some tin work on the interior to dress it out a bit
-Up-size all of the intercooler water lines from 3/4" to 1 1/4"
-Cut and weld the heat exchangers for the bigger water lines
-Switch out the intercooler water pumps for some others I found that work better
-Re-locate the trans and diff coolers
-And do a lot of powdercoating, anodizing and painting so it looks pretty

.....now that I think about it that is a LOT of work!

I'll have it stripped almost all the way down to the tub before I start putting it back together. I don't know why I do this to myself.

I will absolutely post pics of the rear axle treatment. I think what I came up with is going to be pretty sano.

The Following User Says Thank You to sqidd For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-24-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Uber Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Since you haven't posted your diffuser yet, I'll throw this out there:

Saweeeeetttttt!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm glad I don't live out west. There is another form of fast I wouldn't be able to stay away from.

How about some details/more info on that car? Motor? Class? Speed?

Quote:
It is a divergent duct. If the top were similarly curved it would mimic half of an exponential horn speaker. Those couple to the ambient air very well
Do you have more pics of this? I have an image in my head, I'm not sure if I understand 100% though.

Quote:
I wonder whether your speed whisker abaft the rear tire does much.
That's actually my partners car (just sold it). I put a pic of that up because my diffuser isn't 100% done yet but it's a lot like the one we built for him. That car was/is mostly about looking cool. He doesn't drive fast at all. He just likes to fiddle with stuff and see what he can come up with. That said, the car has plenty of "GO". It makes 450/450 to the wheels on 93 and runs like stock. Big brakes, really nice suspension, etc, etc.

I doubt those wiskers/spats behind the tires are doing anything to help. They may even be hurting it.

Quote:
I think pulling the underbody air out to the sides would eliminate a lot of wheelwell turbulence.
Exactly! This is what will be different on the blue car. The bumper cover (which wraps around behind the wheels) is getting trimmed up 4-5" to "exhaust" the rear tires. A lot like that Vette in the pic you posted. The diffuser will come down between the tires.....a lot like the Vette in the picture (I see a trend here).

Quote:
Do you think the speed whiskers on the front corners help?
Partners car again. I think those are a good thing depending on what you're doing with the car. For high speed roadrace stuff (over 100mph) I would wager they will help with front downforce. All the Time Attack cars have them, DTM cars, I'm pretty sure the Ozzy V-8 Supercars do to. Of course throwing them on there willy nilly with no data got have you doing as much harm as good. They look cool and fit the look of that car though.

Quote:
And have you worked with materials like Polymetal/Alumilite/OmegaPanel (aluminum skinned themoplastic)? Thanks for the Plascore link. Here's another: inrekor™ | ultra lightweight sandwich panel technology
I've never seen the Polymetal before. I just looked it up. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that. How much does it cost?

The downsides to the honeycomb stuff is that you can't bend it (well, not much). And if you want the edges sealed it takes FOREVER! I sealed all the edges up on my belly pan with really thin aluminum "tape". I almost lost my mind by the time I was done, LOL! Then I sprayed a thin coat of truck bed liner (Home Depot special) to seal it up real good. It tuned out great, but I am no "body man". That kind of work drives me crazy. I'm to OCD for it. I never know when to walk away.

I've never worked with the Alumilite, but some of the roadrace guys I know swear by it. A lot of them make splitters, diffusers, etc out of it.

I'm not a huge fan of aluminum splitters/diffusers though. I spent a lot of years racing......and crashing. I tend to build my stuff to crash. Aluminum panels will bend, but won't break. So they tend to tear stuff up they are attached to. The sintra is real nice for stuff that you may tag a curb (at the track, I don't hit curbs on the road) like splitters and diffusers because it will flex a bit and then pop back into shape. And if you whack something hard enough to tear stuff up it will just break off. Not take the entire front of the car with it for example.

I do get that planning to crash is not the way most people go about stuff. I'm the kind of guy who plans to crash, and brings enough stuff to fix everything quickly.

Ok, more Vette pics!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
How about some details/more info on that car? Motor? Class? Speed?
In the other shots it reduces down to a dot on the horizon. Here's Bombshell Betty:

The talk I heard was that fences have to be longitudinal, as above; but the 'Vette passed tech inspection, so—who knows?

Quote:
Do you have more pics of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_loudspeaker

Most of the wind tunnel results you see assume a flat plate:

Horn loudspeaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's an example from Bonneville that attempts to exploit the principle.

I think the air expands and slows, raising the pressure, but aerohead is the one to explain that.

I see the 'bonnevette' as having a full height wheel spat with the outer half removed (which I believe is redundant); bleeding turbulence out the side where it's at the mercy of the ambient flow, instead of under the bottom where it can mix with underbody air.

Edit:
Quote:
I've never seen the Polymetal before. I just looked it up. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that. How much does it cost?
Oh, right. The three materials are similar—plastic sheet with aluminum skin on one or both sides. Generally 3mm w/.007" skins, but 6mm is available and Grimco MaxMetal (which I haven't seen) has skins twice as thick. Generally available in 4x8, 4x12 and 5x10 sheets. Those choices are handy for fitting your patterns, or for example a 5x10 sheet would make a one-piece bellypan for a VW from the front bumper to the rear torsion bar housing in one piece.

I buy scraps for testing at the local hippy recyclers. Full or partial sheets are available locally at Multi-Craft Plastics at three price points: Walk-in, business, or Bu$ine$$. As I recall a 4x8 sheet was US$100-150.

I have have successfully rolled, braked and sheared Polymetal by hand (with an 18" lever arm). What I'm working on now is through-fastening.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-03-2014 at 11:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
sqidd (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Uber Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
In the other shots it reduces down to a dot on the horizon. Here's Bombshell Betty:

Way COOL^^^^^^^^
Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
Nice cars! I love that silver one!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I just came back to say 'Polymetal is like Sintra covered in beer cans.'

bombshell betty buick - Google Search

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
sqidd (09-04-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread