Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
All About EVs

[QUOTE=Old Mechanic;202205]What's the best available battery today for an electric vehicle, in the 5K cost range?

Howdy Mech,

That's a simple sounding question but not so simple to answer. Please give us more information, such as desired system voltage, vehicle weight and type etc. Have you chosen a controller yet?

I teach a an EV battery course at a local community college and have tested various lithium cells. I'm quite familiar with Headway, Thundersky, CALB and China Hi Power to name a few of the more "affordable" lithium batteries. Is it possible to get a pack in the $5k range... well yeah but it isn't likely to be very big.

I got a Thundersky pack of 40AH cells for around that price without including the cost of the BMS or cell interconnects or stainless hardware. I chose to go with a very high voltage (104 cells in series) pack in an AC drive application that would not have very high amperage drains. Thundersky cells will generally put out their rated AH capacity if you keep the amperage loads reasonable (like 1C or less). I've got about a 13kW/hr pack and it gives my 3,440 lb S-10E a 30-60 mile realistic range.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread