Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
(freebeard, let me know if I'm getting too wobbly. R.D Laing in one hand, and Polymetal in the other, ha!)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
(freebeard, let me know if I'm getting too wobbly. R.D Laing in one hand, and Polymetal in the other, ha!)
Good thoughts and suggestions. I know illness and injury can happen any time, and always never at a convenient time.
That said, one of my favorite activities is backpacking. I like to go into the wilderness for 3-7 days at a time. So, I will be carrying my tent, sleeping bag Coleman stove (little one burner, not the two burner car camping one) and food. I carry a water purifier. I also have a one ounce White Box Stove. It's great, burns alcohol, and is light. Great for day hikes. But my Peak 1 Coleman backpacking stove will simmer, and one can fix better meals on it.
I will check into the Airstreams more, and also the shorter RV's. I like the Chinook brand -- strong and quiet. But they are not always set up the way I like. We are all picky, I suppose.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Normally I respect slowmover's input; but this worries me:
Quote:
No one but the undertaker is impressed by a neat & tidy graveside service.
I just want to point out some things about the Veep

Hand-Crafted Stainless Steel 3A & 3B Repro Bodies and Parts

The CJ3B is a long wheelbase version. The CJ3A is $4K FOB Myrtle Creek, OR. The Veep chassis is two 2x4" rectangular steel tubes connecting the rear torsion housing to the VW front suspension. For technical reasons I think a Type III front end would be better.

While a 4WD Jeep has a top speed of 45mph, a 2WD Veep can cruise at freeway speeds. With the ground clearance and short overhangs you want off-road. The only place 4WD has an advantage is in crawling boulder-sized rocks. (Or exiting the water, if a Schwimmwagen)

What I would want is something that can travel long distances and then be open to the surrounding environment at rest. Maybe a Veep with Subaru power pulling an Airstream Bambi.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Hmm...Delica, perhaps?
Old 05-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
For those following along at home:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Delica

Why?

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-mods-projects/19433-2-inch-lift-my-2014-xle-awd.html
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Fazer600 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
We're going a big road trip this August. Lugging the pop-up isn't happening because of the time and effort to set up and take down every day with two kids. I suggested renting an RV, but she decided it would cost too much.

We're taking the minivan and "camping" at campgrounds in "rustic cottages." We're getting all the benefits of a basic structure without having to haul it and set it up. We're not spending on hotels and restaurants- we've got grocery stores, coolers and campfires.

There's a lot more space in the minivan for people than in a regular car, and even with 4 people the cargo space is ridiculous. Personal bags, sleeping bags, coolers, plastic totes for cooking gear and food, camp chairs, a kitchen table and a cassette toilet are all going to fit in the back without even blocking the backglass. We can park in regular spaces, we don't have to worry about a trailer being as well locked as the car or some jackass swerving into our small cargo trailer because he wasn't expecting it to be there. And while the mileage isn't as good as a car, what we're getting for the reduced mileage is well worth it.

If you want tenting, there's plenty of room left over for one. And a couple cots. I hate sleeping on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
seifrob (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer600 View Post
Good thoughts and suggestions. I know illness and injury can happen any time, and always never at a convenient time.
That said, one of my favorite activities is backpacking. I like to go into the wilderness for 3-7 days at a time. So, I will be carrying my tent, sleeping bag Coleman stove (little one burner, not the two burner car camping one) and food. I carry a water purifier. I also have a one ounce White Box Stove. It's great, burns alcohol, and is light. Great for day hikes. But my Peak 1 Coleman backpacking stove will simmer, and one can fix better meals on it.
I will check into the Airstreams more, and also the shorter RV's. I like the Chinook brand -- strong and quiet. But they are not always set up the way I like. We are all picky, I suppose.
I also carry those things in my combined rig. Plus, roughly more of the same as I'm on the road for work in an entirely different vehicle.

A motorhome isn't what I'd suggest unless one is always with a group
of people. And if the subject of towing a car comes up, one has effectively driven down a dead end street. No efficiency advantage in any role but perceived comfort. Lousy as hell to drive.

My combined rig is long. Others needn't be. Maneuverability isn't difficult.

Hiking and backpack trips are in no way precluded. In fact they're enhanced by having the larder at hand at beginning and end. Independence from fixed facilities is huge. I got those trips out of my system a long time ago. No more 110-lb backpacks into the far reaches of Big Bend, thank you. Same for humping quartered game back out to a trailhead. Mules are the thing, then.

There are no bonus points for having a Subaru with a Thule roof rack. Indeed, it's the opposite. A better chosen vehicle (as commuter and as vacationer) that will serve solo and towing duties, is the best approach.

Pull up Andrew Thomsons Can Am RV Centre site and the Towing Expertise page.

I've seen some VW Touaregs + Airstream rigs that are handsome, practical (above 20-mpg towing) and satisfactory to the owner in both roles. Their are many vehicles that could be chosen. A Honda Odyssey minivan is another (just lower mpg).

As before, tool defines use. Not otherwise. Greatest adaptability is best parameter set.

Reply  Post New Thread