Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.89 mpg (US)
newhavenpatriot, I sympathize with you about CT drivers.

One technique I've been playing with lately is trying to load the engine more effectively by tricking the transmission into upshifting by lifting off the throttle, than adding as much throttle as I can without causing it to downshift back to the previous gear. It's really a half assed solution though, a manual is key to loading the engine effectively. I test drove a car with a stick recently, and fell in love with how easy it is to do. I'm itching to get a new (used) car with a stick, but I happen to be very picky with cars, so I have to be patient.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
newhavenpatriot, I sympathize with you about CT drivers.

One technique I've been playing with lately is trying to load the engine more effectively by tricking the transmission into upshifting by lifting off the throttle, than adding as much throttle as I can without causing it to downshift back to the previous gear. It's really a half assed solution though, a manual is key to loading the engine effectively. I test drove a car with a stick recently, and fell in love with how easy it is to do. I'm itching to get a new (used) car with a stick, but I happen to be very picky with cars, so I have to be patient.
A trick I learned with non-e transmissions is to adjust/remove the kickdown device. This will disallow the transmission from downshifting at all, though, so whatever gear you're in, you're in, until the governor takes you down a gear. You can manually upshift at a much lower RPM, though.

The kickdown (TV cable, in come cases) relates the Throttle position (relative load) to the transmission governor.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
automatic, automatic transmission