Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I bought a 1992 VX new, with 104 miles on it, and I now have 246k miles on it. I've replaced the distributor, the brake master cylinder, and the high/low beam switch. No other maintenance other than wear parts, and fluid changes.
The VX has a lower coefficient of drag than the HX. It's Cd is 0.3 which was outrageously low in 1992. In fact it was the first car with it's "shape". You see the same shape in so many cars now.
The engine is a VTEC, but it is different than others. Other VTECs vary valve timing with engine speed, but this engine only opens one intake valve below 2500 rpm. This results in very turbulent flow in the cylinder, and gives the engine lots of low end torque, sort of like a Diesel, and allows a very lean burn at idle, and low rpm. You can floor the car in top gear at 800 RPM and it smoothly accelerates.
It is mostly the aerodynamics, and the engine valve gimmick that give the car such high mileage. There is also no power steering pump, so no power steering, no right side mirror, the valve train has ball bearings on the followers, The pistons have only 2 rings, and very light aluminum wheels were standard equipment.
I get 45 mpg in normal driving, except for coasting where possible. I get 50 mpg on long highway trips without hypermileing, just coasting when possible. I also use coreplast to cover the radiator, and AC condenser air inlets in the winter. The engine is so efficient it runs better that way, and the heater is much more efficient.
Popular mileage mods are a whale tail, covering the front, and rear wheel holes, covering the underbody to make it smooth, and an inside the engine compartment air intake.
There is also an electronic modification you can make to use the lean burn more. In the original engine setup, it is used much less than is possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to martae For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-23-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you do decide on a VX look into swapping the control unit for a 49 state version if the car happens to be a California car. It will boost your mpg significantly.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post536850
Old 07-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #93 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Blue Berry - '90 Geo Metro XFi
Welp... guys... i ended up buying a geo metro... a 1990 metro in XFi trim. Always wanted one and now im the owner of one. I might do a build thread on here on it.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie@eco View Post
Welp... guys... i ended up buying a geo metro... a 1990 metro in XFi trim. Always wanted one and now im the owner of one. I might do a build thread on here on it.
Nice! How many miles?

Now go do a (proper) compression test...it will tell you how healthy the engine is.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #95 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Blue Berry - '90 Geo Metro XFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Nice! How many miles?

Now go do a (proper) compression test...it will tell you how healthy the engine is.
167k and change. I was gonna do that yesturday but ran out of time. Pulled the plugs to see what condition they were in, pretty old. Crusty little things. 1 and 3 were easy, number 2 was really hard. It felt like i was going to strip it or break it. Eventually it came out. Cleaned em a little a put em back in for the time being. Ill swap em out this weekend. So far 50 miles since monday going and coming from work and the fuel needle on the gauge moved a little bit. I love this thing haha

Reply  Post New Thread