Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Blue Berry - '90 Geo Metro XFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
If you're going to change vehicles to get better gas mileage, you'd probably do a lot better buying a hybrid...considering what kind of driving you do. Prius or first gen insight...or maybe the earlier civic hybrid.

Or better yet, buy a Leaf.

Sticking with your vehicle...pumped up tires, grill block, 195f thermostat if it doesn't have one...block heater if you're in a cold enough environment. Or park it in an enclosed/slightly warmer garage. Oh and if you haven't already, tailor your driving style to minimize braking and accelerating. Make sure you have the lightest wheels/tires on it as reasonably possible.

And make sure your car is in tip-top running shape. Advance timing if possible without causing pinging. Put on a warm/hot air intake. If you want to continue from there, it's aero mods and/or more complex work.
I've looked into those. Quite pricey in my area and cant really justify spending 4k plus on one which is the going rate in my area. For that amount of money id rather buy an mk4 tdi jetta. Good mpg with luxury and comfort. But that also is something i cant really justify buying. Good cars dont get me wrong, just too much for me to spend at the moment.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Short trips are probably your main problem. Your city driving is potentially a huge problem as well. City driving can mean just about anything, so it's difficult to compare one person's city MPG to another's.

Unless you could sell your Festiva for more than you pay for a Civic, you'll probably never make up the cost of switching vehicles. MPG gains would likely be low and it sounds like you don't do a whole lot of driving.
True. I love this Festiva its quirky and fun to drive. Im just weighing my options. But as stated above, my main issue apears to be my short commute.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie@eco View Post
I'll most definitely look into buying that! Looks like it plugs in? Instead of screwing in? Hmm
There are a couple different styles from what I've gathered. Never installed one myself (the one on my Subaru was either stock, or installed by a PO), but there are some decent YouTube videos out there. No shame in having it installed by a trusted shop if you aren't sure about doing it yourself.

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
There are a couple different styles from what I've gathered. Never installed one myself (the one on my Subaru was either stock, or installed by a PO), but there are some decent YouTube videos out there. No shame in having it installed by a trusted shop if you aren't sure about doing it yourself.
Oh no, im very mechanicaly enclined. Just never really looked into this sorta thing. Always liked things that make cars faster but never anything to make a car run more efficient as far as fuel consumption goes lol. But yes, indeed i will look at all this tonight once home from work.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
On my Insight, I just used a socket wrench and pulled the coolant drain plug, then quickly stuck the block heater into the hole and tightened it down. I got some warm coolant on my hands but not much. The biggest risk with one of these is that you'd get bubbles in your coolant system and would need to burp it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
willie@eco (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
On my Insight, I just used a socket wrench and pulled the coolant drain plug, then quickly stuck the block heater into the hole and tightened it down. I got some warm coolant on my hands but not much. The biggest risk with one of these is that you'd get bubbles in your coolant system and would need to burp it.
Good to know. So basically any location where there os coolant is good to plug a heater into? Is this correct?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Mine was threaded to fit the hole, there was only one place to put it. Can't speak for your engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
willie@eco (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Mine was threaded to fit the hole, there was only one place to put it. Can't speak for your engine.
Cool, good to know. Ill be doing my homework tonight.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie@eco View Post
Oh no, im very mechanicaly enclined. Just never really looked into this sorta thing. Always liked things that make cars faster but never anything to make a car run more efficient as far as fuel consumption goes lol. But yes, indeed i will look at all this tonight once home from work.
Well then...stuff a little Kubota Diesel engine under the hood instead. On an electric motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
willie@eco (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Well then...stuff a little Kubota Diesel engine under the hood instead. On an electric motor.
Nah, not for me haha. Cool idea but not my cup of tea haha.

Reply  Post New Thread