Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
ECOKINETIC DUDE

ECO-DIESEL CABRIOLET - '99 VW GOLF CABRIOLET 1.9 TDI VSV
90 day: 73.66 mpg (US)

STREETGLIDER - '10 VOLKSWAGEN POLO bluemotion
90 day: 80.03 mpg (US)
Wink BICYCLE COMPUTER for easy EOC

I installed a SIGMA bike computer (ca. USD 49.-) with a magnetic sensor attached to the left front wheel for accurate speed and distance reading. The bike computer (operates on one CR2032 battery!) not only accurately displays speeds up to 199,5 km/h or 124 mph but also the exact distance driven (of course the circumference of that wheel has to be properly measured and inserted into the bike computer!).
During EOC with ignition in intermediate position, your car odometer will not add mileage which means your car might achieve a better resale value. I currently do 10-15% EOC -but- depending on the vehicle (stickshift subcompact with easy technology!) this value can be pushed to 40%plus by expert hypermilers...

Last edited by savefuel; 05-04-2009 at 06:25 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Welcome to EcoModder.com
This is a good idea, since most new cars have tons of electronics, instead of the good old mechanical odometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by savefuel View Post
I installed a SIGMA bike computer (ca. USD 49.-) with a magnetic sensor attached to the left front wheel for accurate speed and distance reading.
My advice would be to attach to a rear wheel. The front wheels usually go a longer distance because of turning and slipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by savefuel View Post
(of course the circumference of that wheel has to be properly measured and inserted into the bike computer!)
Calibrating a bike speedo is easy with a GPS:
First, set your wheel circumference (usually in millimeters) to what you estimate is right. Drive around with a GPS and then compare the distance with the speedo. If the speedometer is x% lower than the GPS, then input a circumference x% larger. The farther you go, the more accurate the calibration.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
ECOKINETIC DUDE

ECO-DIESEL CABRIOLET - '99 VW GOLF CABRIOLET 1.9 TDI VSV
90 day: 73.66 mpg (US)

STREETGLIDER - '10 VOLKSWAGEN POLO bluemotion
90 day: 80.03 mpg (US)
BIKE COMPUTER to record EOC

I have chosen the left front wheel in order to have the shortest cable length from sensor to bike computer (the computer is mounted in the forward left corner of the dashboard). After measuring the wheel circumference I calibrated the unit on the autobahn on a 25 mile stretch with highly accurate distance readings on the meridian. GPS, of course is a good calibrating option, too.
The front wheel (drive) slip is neglectible while hypermiling (except for icy surfaces!).
Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Great idea!

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see the Swiss expertise with instrumentation is still alive and well.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
try a bike computer