Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #231 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
How long do you have to wait to see the 40+ rise over ambient? Do you have to wait until the engine is fully warmed up (at least according to the in-dash gauge), or does the exhaust heat give you warm air sooner?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #232 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
It has to warm up, but I am not certain for how long. My guess is quite a while past accomplishing simple running temp. I think heat needs to build up in the associated parts, like the heat shield, the valve cover, and maybe especially the tube itself, which is a typically thick walled ABS plastic pipe.

EDIT: it helps that I have the grill block and ducting, so that the only air coming into the engine area goes first through the rad.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #233 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Update: complete WAI/IAT measurements

WAI readings for end of 11 mile morning commute:
50 degrees ambient, 93 degrees IAT (1/27) +43
57 degrees ambient, 102 degrees IAT (1/26) +45
44 degrees ambient, 86 degrees IAT (1/23) +42
44 degrees ambient, 87 degrees IAT (1/22) +43
55 degrees ambient, 95 degrees IAT (1/21) +40
58 degrees ambient, 100 degrees IAT (1/20) +42

AND on a 60 mile freeway drive the other day with ambient temps in the low sixties I was at IAT 116+ after about 15 miles. Temps stayed 50+ degrees above ambient, rising as ambient temps rose, throughout the drive.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-27-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 05:17 AM   #234 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have also linked that rolled plastic. I use it as a grill block and air dam, but I need to reinforce the back, it must deform fairly easily. I saw something on here about putting black caulk on the edges and was going to try that, but then thought that it would be a bad idea, since I still need to remove it at least once.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #235 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have also linked that rolled plastic. I use it as a grill block and air dam, but I need to reinforce the back, it must deform fairly easily. I saw something on here about putting black caulk on the edges and was going to try that, but then thought that it would be a bad idea, since I still need to remove it at least once.
I have seen something more like "re-forming" (rather than "deforming") back to the curves it had when it came as a roll. I am considering the heat gun for that. I am also thinking of reinforcement, but yesterday i rolled the skirt giving trouble and braced it to hold for hours. I'll soon see what it looks like this a.m. when I leave for work.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #236 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Update: WAI and AFR

So, ever since installing the new WAI and getting markedly higher 40-50 degrees over ambient temps on the intake sensor, I have noticed long term fuel trim greatly leaned-out, as in this photo. I also think I can feel less power in certain routine situations. Oddly, conventional wisdom here has been that the ECU will keep stoich and that gains come from reduced pumping losses. I still think the pumping losses idea makes sense, but my UG is telling me I am running far leaner than I used to. Normally, this long term fuel trim would read +0.78, now it generally reads -6.2 and leaner.

Why, do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150201_104948-1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	16878  

Old 02-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #237 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post

So, ever since installing the new WAI and getting markedly higher 40-50 degrees over ambient temps on the intake sensor, I have noticed long term fuel trim greatly leaned-out, as in this photo. I also think I can feel less power in certain routine situations. Oddly, conventional wisdom here has been that the ECU will keep stoich and that gains come from reduced pumping losses. I still think the pumping losses idea makes sense, but my UG is telling me I am running far leaner than I used to. Normally, this long term fuel trim would read +0.78, now it generally reads -6.2 and leaner.

Why, do you think?
Warmer air is less dense = less fuel to bring it to 14:1 afr, as a result, less power due to less fuel consumption. That's why cold air intakes give more power. Colder air = more dense = more fuel to keep it at 14:1, as a result, more power due to more fuel consumption.

[Edit]: Why is your engine temp at 122F?

Old 02-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #238 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Warmer air is less dense = less fuel to bring it to 14:1 afr, as a result, less power due to less fuel consumption. That's why cold air intakes give more power. Colder air = more dense = more fuel to keep it at 14:1, as a result, more power due to more fuel consumption.

[Edit]: Why is your engine temp at 122F?
Yes, but in numerous discussions on EM that position has been debated, with the argument being that the ECU will compensate. But here, my UG is suggesting that the ECU is not compensating. That I am running lean, consistently. That surprises me, and I am wondering why it is so, or if I am misunderstanding the meaning of this display. ... the coolant temp is low because the car had been sitting for over an hour after running...

Old 02-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #239 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Yes, but in numerous discussions on EM that position has been debated, with the argument being that the ECU will compensate. But here, my UG is suggesting that the ECU is not compensating. That I am running lean, consistently. That surprises me, and I am wondering why it is so, or if I am misunderstanding the meaning of this display. ... the coolant temp is low because the car had been sitting for over an hour after running...
I'm not sure why people would debate that. It's a proven science. The ECU may compensate a little bit, but it's designed to run at 14:1, regardless of what your intake temps are. So when you have less dense air and the ECU detects that you are running too rich, it will automatically drop fuel consumption. It's NOT changing the overall air/fuel ratio, just how much actual fuel is required to keep the desired 14:1. It's like human fat. You can be really fat and look huge, but you can also have someone that's skinny that weights the same if he is all muscle. Why? Because muscle is denser than fat. Warm air = fat, cold air = muscle.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #240 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
What were your average mpg and mph?

Did using the WAI improve your average mpg?

Reply  Post New Thread