Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #281 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Good on you.

But... I confuse easily, am I looking at reflections of the tire bottoms on the undertray material.
Hahaha! Yes, I guess you are. The picture has more glare than I realized when I took it. The black plastic has quite a shine, almost as good as new paint.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-22-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2016, 01:17 AM   #282 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
So the bottom of the fender is enclosed. Is there an inner wall behind the tire?
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #283 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
So the bottom of the fender is enclosed. Is there an inner wall behind the tire?
Yes, sort of. I made them, but the one on the driver side is temporary and the one of the muffler side is incomplete because... well there is a hot muffler there.

But the short answer is yes, I have partial inner walls blocking most of the air.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

freebeard (08-22-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #284 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Some confort and "looks" stuff

There are two ecomod projects in the offing, but I am doing several things to my car at my daughter's request before I start taking her to high school in this car five days a week. All looks and comfort, meant to take te pressure off the idea that I should get a different car:

Coverking leatherette seat covers:

Leather steering wheel cover:

Used tint re-purposed on part of the upper windshield:

That last one I will have redo, because I used the wrong adhesive and it bubbled. Grrr...

More to come...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat cover.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	20454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering wheel cover.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	20455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield tint.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	20456  

aerohead (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #285 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
If I was you, I would have looked into adding some sort of seat cooling system since you had the covers off anyway.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #286 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
If I was you, I would have looked into adding some sort of seat cooling system since you had the covers off anyway.
It's a great suggestion. And FWIW, I actually did investigate, and I have notes on Viotek, Wagan, and Sharper Image models. But they all seemed to have the downsides of fan noise, condensation, or relatively high price.

These are just covers, not new upholstery. Very good covers, but removable quite easily. I could still experiment at a later time.

aerohead (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #287 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
In my yellow Squareback with the black interior I had [imitation] sheepskin seat covers. If I was doing it again, I'd get real sheepskin; I think it would wear better.

Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, less clothes the better.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:53 AM   #288 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I just received my new steering wheel cover today: I kind of feel like giving a lower review because it says microfiber while the whole thing is plastic.

Maybe the liner is microfiber!

I guess I will add that to my Civic expenses. It seems like insulated sun shades die and fall down when it gets too hot, so I stopped using mine, and suddenly my steering wheel is crumbling on top. Does your steering wheel cover lace on? I expected one like that, but mine is elastic and very tight. I almost got my spare tire levers!

You can reuse window tint?

My seat cushion wore out over one the rails, I was actually developing an injury from it. Strangely, nobody has asked why I have a big red cushion in my car with a dark interior. I would kind of like to properly address the problem, but also kind of like keeping my money!

A place relatively close has an A grade driver's seat for $40. It would probably cost more than that to redo the padding.

My sister insists the car is ugly. I always think I could fill in some deep scratches and paint, or put that money towards a house, but I do not like the housing market right now.

I do not harass the women in my family, why do they bug me?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #289 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Hi guys,
Freebeard, I had one of those sheepskin covers, a white color. I liked it but it did get dirty and show it and the straps that held it on wore out in two years. These don't rely on strap tricks for the main fit. It is more like a laser-fit glove you slide on.

Hi xist,
yes, that steering wheel cover is a lace on kind. it took a couple hours to get right. My previous one was a leather look plastic lace on. It was so-so. After five or six years it too got old. I coulda kept it though. Btw, my steering wheel is starting to crack at the top. It's just really old polymer. Nothing is foreva!

Let the car rot and save money for a house! Buy less house than you think you need, in worse shape than you think you can stand. Bargain harder than you feel you should. Borrow less than they offer. Rehab with your own sweat more than you thought you'd have time for! ☺

Old 08-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #290 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am pretty sure that allowing my car to rot would cost more in the long run. I wish I could have known how fast-paced the housing market would be moving when I came home from Germany; I do not know if I ever really had a chance.

I would prefer to have a VA loan. As I understand it, the home cannot have any faults whatsoever to qualify. The ones that I see on-line are far less appealing and far more expensive than four years ago.

Some friends that were also in the Army bought a house before I met them. They bought a fixer-upper and then saved more money by not fixing anything!

I do want a smaller home and to pay it off well before thirty years.

Last edited by Xist; 12-31-2016 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: fast-paced, not paved! :)
Reply  Post New Thread