Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Micromachine - '94 Honda Civic DX hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
No extra pedal take up that I have noticed, but I was not paying attention. They're ridiculously easy to install. But even easy is too hard if they're not effective. And I just can't know for certain. Seems logical that they benefit at some level.
Are these the clips that suppose to push the brake pads away from the rotor?
They may help at some point if you put some grease at the caliper guides and at the end of the brake pads but if the caliper piston is stuck they are worthless unless you replace the calipers.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
Are these the clips that suppose to push the brake pads away from the rotor?
Yes they are. I need to do some brake maintenance, possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
so as far as you can tell, the wheels dont seem to turn more "freely" due to less brake drag?
I just put the car up on stands and tested. They are a little freer than before the hub bearing replacement and the clips, but I expected even freer rolling than I am seeing. So I think some brake bleeding and caliper inspection is in order. See what shakes-out.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Vansquish - '06 Mazda Mazdaspeed6 Grand Touring
90 day: 32.63 mpg (US)
Quote:
I don't know what you game is, but again, you simply are not reading at all, or are reading poorly. The tire size you list is not my tire size. My front tires are the stock 185/65-14s. So your point is moot. It's not semantics to point out that you're wrong on the basic facts.

Jedi-sol here offers you some good advice:

If you don't mind, "Vansquish," maybe you could take your critiques of lowered suspension onto a thread for a car that actually is lowered? I'd like to have my build thread back.
First, I apologize from diverting from your build thread, it's interesting stuff, and some of it is applicable to what I'm hoping to do over the long haul (political-sign undertray, and a taller gear set from the European Diesel model of my car, etc.). I'm happy to let you go back to it.

Second, I know that the basics of hypermiling require a few things: smaller frontal area, less airflow under the car, narrower tires, harder tires (e.g. more overinflated tires), and less contact patch. So of course this is going to be prevalent on here.

Third, and most importantly, the only reason I had a bug up my bum on this was because I couldn't square this:

...with your claims that you hadn't modified the suspension, and that everything was OEM up front (at least height-wise). FYI, I did see the 185/65/14s, but couldn't understand how "your" car looked so low if nothing had been changed.

The problem was simple, IT WASN'T YOUR CAR! I feel like a dumbass, and I apologize for cluttering up your thread. Back to it, I'm interested to see how things go in the long haul.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
The problem was simple, IT WASN'T YOUR CAR! I feel like a dumbass
I sometimes feel like a dumbass too. Mistakes happen. Thanks for your interest. And who knows... maybe I'll lower mine too!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Previous Car - '12 Chevrolet Cruze Eco MT
Team Chevy
90 day: 44.29 mpg (US)

535d XDrive - '16 BMW 535d M-Sport
Quote:
And who knows... maybe I'll lower mine too!
As long as the guy about to t-bone you is on the brakes before contact his bumper will drop slightly and line up nicely with the impact structure of your car.

Let us know if you come up with a definitive conclusion on those brake clips... seems like a neat mod.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #36 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
Let us know if you come up with a definitive conclusion on those brake clips... seems like a neat mod.
Unfortunately the brake clips did not work out. Amazon said they fit the EX/Si but would also fit the 1998 Civic DX and Raybestos just said they fit the "1998 Honda Civic" without any trim info. Another site said they were for the EX and Si and said nothing about the DX. I now think the last site was correct. They scraped a little as the wheels turned. I took em off and gifted 'em to a good home (somebody on EM with a Civic EX). I might try the NAPA ones, later in the summer/fall when I'm done with bellypan, wheel skirts, and diffuser (and when I have finished several home repair projects).

Too much to do!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
My justification for saying that your 60psi over-inflation is unsafe was based on the listed maximum inflation pressures
That's what listed, nothing more.
Burst pressures for tyres are WAY higher than 60psi - think double.

Exploded tyres were typically underinflated, got too hot, and disintegrated or blew off .

Quote:
Additionally, with a tire so over-inflated, your braking distances will be negatively impacted, as will your ability to make evasive maneuvers if necessary.
In my experience, the main issue with high inflation is in keeping the wheels on the road rather than bouncing about.
So it's more of a suspension and road issue than a tyre issue.

Tyres etc. are always a compromise, and as a driver, you live with that choice and compensate for it.
Wether you're hypermiling or shooting for pole in F1.
There's always a stickier tyre than what you're running ... or one that uses less fuel ... or lasts longer.

The best tyres, the best suspension, the best brakes ... all still have their limits. The limit may be further away, but if you don't drive within the limits, you're out.

So regardless, you always have to compensate one way or another, and drive within the capabilities of what you've got - and rest assured, that's what 99+% of us are all doing

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
wmjinman (10-31-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
I expected even freer rolling than I am seeing.
Could it be an issue of expectations ?

I've always been surprised by how much drag there is on a car wheel.
Even when it's still fairly new.
They just don't roll all that freely.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #39 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Could it be an issue of expectations ?

I've always been surprised by how much drag there is on a car wheel.
Even when it's still fairly new.
They just don't roll all that freely.
I think I probably had excessive expectations. But it was also the fact that the clips were of the wrong type, not fit properly, and therefore not working.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #40 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
subscribed, great thread.

Reply  Post New Thread