Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Made a "tri-brid" with it (wind/gas/electric): lashed the Minnkota to the swim ladder of a sailboat

It's kind of funny seeing 17 lbs of thrust drive a 5000 lb boat. Mind you, it wasn't fast - a slow walking pace at max power. And that was in flat water with almost no breeze. Change either of those, and fuhgeddaboutit.

With only 17 lbs of thrust, it quickly becomes apparent how much force even the lightest breeze exerts on just the hull & rigging.

I was also thinking: I might be able to cannibalize this to make an e-assist bike kit. Motor cooling issues aside, it's is supposed to supply max power for 3.25 hrs from a 105 amp hour 12v source. That works out to about 32 amps or 384 watts, which is the rating of a med-low powered e-bike.

EDIT: I wonder if the electronics of the Minnkota can handle a stall (or low RPM, high current) situation though... boat motors don't see that, so it may not be designed in....
Darin,I've hung onto one of these motors for years now,thinking it might do in a bike environment.Question,are the health and well-being of these things dependent on being submerged,and if so,even with say,a cluster of thermal -conducting epoxy bonded cooling fins,would we still require forced-air over the fins to keep the rascals alive? They're great motors,I've been reluctant to operate mine until I can do a load/temperature survey.Does 90-degrees C seem like a reasonable upper limit?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

id like to know the answer to this i appolagize for bumping the thread

Reply  Post New Thread