EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Bought a single motorcycle trailer instead of renting uhaul (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/bought-single-motorcycle-trailer-instead-renting-uhaul-35788.html)

Daschicken 10-31-2017 02:43 PM

Bought a single motorcycle trailer instead of renting uhaul

2 Attachment(s)
A cheap vfr 400 popped up on kijiji.ca, $2000 CAN. CHEAP! So my dad sent his canadian friend to go buy it. Now time to go get it, which is an 1800 mile round trip. We had done this once before, renting a uhaul at the beginning of the trip to pick up my cbr 250r. The uhaul "motorcycle" trailer is a real pig, probably weighs 2000 lbs alone and has a nice barn door at the back to catch the air. (Yes we tried to take it off, pretty sure its welded on.)

Here is what the trailer looks like:
Attachment 22899

On the way up, we got 18 mpg with that empty uhaul trailer...with a mazda cx-5 rated for 32 mpg highway...After picking up the 250, mpg improved slightly, maybe 19 mpg, still terrible. Oh yeah, and I got to see Detroit for the first time in my life. It was ON FIRE. Literally on fire. I think that tells you all you need to know about that city.

Not real excited about doing that again. We didn't have a trailer yet, but were planning to get one in the future. Dad didn't have the money ready to buy one at the moment. So the uhaul almost happened again. Instead I offered to loan MY MONEY to buy a PROPER motorcycle trailer so we aren't stuck getting 18 mpg again. We bought an Ace foldable motorcycle trailer. Tiny little thing that tucks in behind the car nicely. Weighs probably 250-300 lbs. Better yet, it fits inside the car, so no trailer on the way up!

On the way up he got 28 mpg, supposedly going 75-80 mph. On the way back, 29 mpg, slowly at first but later also at 75-80 mph.
Attachment 22900

Doing some simple calculations, here would be the fuel usage for the two trailers.

Uhaul: 97.3 gallons @ 18.5 mpg
Ace: 63.2 @ 28.5 mpg
34.1 gallons saved

So I single handedly saved 34.1 gallons by loaning my money to buy a proper trailer! :thumbup:

Will update with pics of my new baby viffer when I get home.

Daschicken 11-01-2017 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is! I probably should have taken a picture when it still had the tank and seat/other crap on it. Oh well. Not running right now, no spark.

Attachment 22905

I'll tell you what, the nice thing about getting a late 80s sportbike is that they had nice fairing coverage back then. Better aerodynamics!

Daschicken 11-13-2017 11:30 PM

Got it running. It had no spark due to a faulty kill switch, carbs had gas so old in them it turned GREEN, TONS of bolts and clamps missing or loose, rusty coolant. It really seems like it was assembled from a box of parts.

Choke still doesn't work, no rear brake, needs new chain and front sprocket(rear already is new), front dual disc brakes are weak, needs a headlight bulb and a side marker bulb. But other than that, it works! And it makes sexy music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_WvFjeSwxU

M_a_t_t 11-14-2017 12:03 AM

You rode around with a camera in the airbox? It sounds great

Daschicken 11-14-2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_a_t_t (Post 553968)
You rode around with a camera in the airbox? It sounds great

Better, I put my phone in there! I agree, its the best sound i've recorded yet. :D I think it even tops my 18,000 RPM CBR 250R.

Daox 11-14-2017 11:14 AM

Very nice! Congrats on getting it running. :thumbup:

Daschicken 11-14-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 553990)
Very nice! Congrats on getting it running. :thumbup:

Thanks. While you're here, can you help me get access to the wiki? I pm'ed you a while ago with no response, maybe your inbox was full?

Daox 11-14-2017 12:30 PM

Ah yes, I did get the PM... and forgot about it! Sorry! I will get on it for ya.

JSH 01-29-2018 09:45 PM

Cool bike. Not too many of those around.

I bought a KZ400 on Ebay back when I lived in Birmingham, Alabama. The only problem was it was in Fort Wayne, Indiana. My solution was to rent a Dodge Dakota from Enterprise. $40 a day with unlimited miles. I picked it up at 7 am when the office opened, drove 1250 miles round trip to pick up the bike and dropped off the truck a 7 am the next day. The guy checking the car back checked the mileage, took a double take, and asked "Where did you drive this thing"!

rnjason 01-31-2018 01:27 AM

Impressive bike you got there.