Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Added an *actual* pickup to the fleet...

Yes, I know what I posted before about using the Mazda as my "pickup" with the HF trailer, but due to circumstances, I find myself driving a '99 2.7L auto Toyota Tacoma Prerunner fairly often these days. The 'speed3 may be leaving the stable, but we'll see. Regardless, I'm shifting my focus to improving the consumption level on the Taco. While it does have a mere 4 banger, it also has an automatic, tall 4x4 suspension, 265-75r15 tires, a 4.30 gear ratio, and the aerodynamic profile of an oven. I'll get to posting my gas logs soon enough; suffice it to say that I'm not satisfied with the 20mpg average. I've done a tune-up and the seafoam treatment, I drive with the proverbial egg under the gas pedal, and I am planning on a fan disconnect and grille block (I was too slow for the free ones during the last local election ). But those massive tires are already maxxed at the listed 35psi, and I am not spending the money on swapping out the suspension, or the diff gear. I'd love to get some skinny tires, but I have yet to see anything skinnier that what I have, that still maintain the overall diameter (decreasing that diameter of course would effectively raise the drive ratio, numerically. And that's bad.) A bed cover may be in the future, and I could also be inspired to follow the aerolid thread too.

Just wondering about a couple things: would an undercarriage cover help on a truck that is already on 4x4 stilts? And are there skinny/tall tires available somewhere? I haven't found any through the usual avenues. Seriously, 35 psi max? (yoko geolandar h/s)

[IMG][/IMG]

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
On my old 97 Jeep Cherokee, I replaced the original tires with BFG Off Road TA's. They allowed 55psi, which gained 2mpg, I don't remember the size, but they barely fit with the stock suspension. The Jeep's replacement, 04 Tundra 4x4 has your problem, brand new dealer installed for the sales lot, 35psi max tires. I should have looked more closely at the ratings. I hate to spend $600.00+ or so on tires, when there's probably 30,000 miles left on the ones I have. I am worried in the rocks though, they're not BFG's.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
On my old 97 Jeep Cherokee, I replaced the original tires with BFG Off Road TA's. They allowed 55psi, which gained 2mpg, I don't remember the size, but they barely fit with the stock suspension. The Jeep's replacement, 04 Tundra 4x4 has your problem, brand new dealer installed for the sales lot, 35psi max tires. I should have looked more closely at the ratings. I hate to spend $600.00+ or so on tires, when there's probably 30,000 miles left on the ones I have. I am worried in the rocks though, they're not BFG's.
I've been thinking about replacement tires. These Yokos are pretty skittish in the rain, I assume they will just be scary in the snow. My first idea was to get a set of dedicated winters, but then I'd need another set of rims. Your idea is good though, get a set of severe winter duty A/Ts and run them all year round. I had some of the BFG A/Ts on a Jeep and those things were great in winter and wore like iron. I was just hoping that there would be something just as tall but a little skinnier than 10.5" (or 265 in P metric) to reduce frontal area, rotating mass, etc.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Cruze - '18 chevrolet cruze ls
90 day: 37.98 mpg (US)

The Ram - '22 ram 2500 tradesman
90 day: 12.35 mpg (US)
Is that the orginal tire size? Seems too large to be factory size (tire rack says stock is 225/75/15) . My 2005 taco 4x4came with 265/70/16--smaller than your size. You should check your speedo to see if it's reading right.

The only option I see for you is to go to 16" wheels (craigslist) and 235/85/16 tall narrow 70 to 80 psi and ride like a brick.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick323 View Post
Is that the orginal tire size? Seems too large to be factory size (tire rack says stock is 225/75/15) . My 2005 taco 4x4came with 265/70/16--smaller than your size. You should check your speedo to see if it's reading right.

The only option I see for you is to go to 16" wheels (craigslist) and 235/85/16 tall narrow 70 to 80 psi and ride like a brick.
Yes, that is the correct size for the Prerunner. I've noticed lots of inaccuracies on Tirerack in the past, although they seem to have gotten better. Anyway, the stock size is actually P265-75r15, which are almost exactly the same diameter as your tires. The BFG ATs or Firestone Destination ATs would be great for winter use without having to buy an extra set of wheels for the rest of the year. But then I'm limited on sizes; I'd have to go with the big fat ones.

But your idea for 16s might work. I'll have to see how cheaply I could get some 16" wheels in the 6 lug Taco pattern.

Last edited by Mifunego; 11-21-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread