EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Buying a C-Max soon........ (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/buying-c-max-soon-23521.html)

Recumpence 10-01-2012 07:58 PM

Buying a C-Max soon........

Hey Guys,

I do appliance repair for a living (along with building high-end electric bicycle drive systems). I am ordering a new Ford C-Max sometime this month. This vehicle has the perfect amount of room for my equipment and parts. It is also a perfect family car for my family of five. So, on the weekends, I can take the parts out (easy with a few plastic bins) and use it as a family car to save gas over my wife's car.

Anyway, what I am curious about is, what would you guys do to improve aero without buggering up a brand new car?

Thanks......

Matt

Oh, the gas savings, over my Caravan, will completely pay for the car in 8.8 years. :D

euromodder 10-03-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recumpence (Post 331395)
Anyway, what I am curious about is, what would you guys do to improve aero without buggering up a brand new car?

Stealthy mods.
Like blocking (part of) the grille from the inside.
An air dam or belly pan is also out of sight ;)

Not aero but air : increased tyre inflation.

Can you get the stick-shift C-Max in the US ?

Recumpence 10-03-2012 07:46 AM

Thanks.

Nope, the C-Max is only available as a Hybrid with a CVT.

Matt

Recumpence 10-04-2012 11:12 PM

Hey Guys,

Wish me luck. I found a C-Max in white (rare color for them) with exactly the options I want at a nearby dealer. I am going to look at and drive it tomorrow. Odds are I will come home with it. :)

Let the games begin!

Matt

Recumpence 10-05-2012 03:24 PM

Well, I bought it. But, it was not at the dealer I went to. So, they are dealer trading for me. I will have it in a couple days. :)

Matt

sendler 10-07-2012 08:58 AM

Keep us posted. It looks like a nice package.

Recumpence 10-07-2012 09:25 AM

It may be a week or more. The dealer told me if I was willing to wait for one that is currently inbound, I would get all the options I ordered plus heated seats for $200 less. So, I went with that primarily because I have heard that the heat does not come on until the engine warms up (no electric heat). So, in the winter, heated seats are a good thing. I should have it in a week or so.

Matt

Recumpence 10-31-2012 07:20 AM

Hey Guys,

I finally got my C-Max. The one I reserved had major delays in arrival. So, I bought a silver SEL instead. I put 250 miles on it so far. This thing is absolutely perfect for my needs. The rear is full of my parts and equipment for work. I have been averaging around 44.5mpg so far. Everyone on the C-Max forum insist that it takes a couple thousand miles to see the additional 2 or 3 mpg that the car is capable of giving (break-in and the computer "Learning" your driving habits). So, it looks like the EPA of 47mpg is correct.

I love this car! Due to my use of it for work (carrying a lot of parts and equipment, I.E. weight and needing access to the rear hatch) limits my aero mod possibilities. Never-the-less, I love it and I am quite certain it will live a long life and save me much in gas. I would much rather pay an American car company for a luxurious car, than to pay OPEC for gas for the privilege of driving a beater. :)

Oh, in case you are wondering, the engine runs 47% of the time and it runs EV 53% of the time with my driving. ;)

Matt

sendler 10-31-2012 07:41 AM

It's great to see Ford hit another winner.

Recumpence 11-04-2012 02:30 AM

Well, I have nearly 1,000 miles on the C-Max so far. Right now I am averaging right at the EPA of 47mpg. That is a total average with very mixed driving and my wife and I sharing the miles (she has no clue about hyper-miling). When I drive, I am typically well over 50mpg. 52 to 53mpg is not that terrible to achieve with just a little effort.

I will keep you all posted as I get more used to the car. :)

Matt