EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   buying new tires for 2 vehicles? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/buying-new-tires-2-vehicles-21065.html)

ccphil55 03-19-2012 05:42 PM

buying new tires for 2 vehicles?

I have a 1995 Chevy G20 van with 235/75/15 tires. I have snow tires for winter, and I need new summer tires (can be all season) It is not used for heavy pulling, and the most weight it will hold inside for a trip would be 1,000lb. or less. What will give me the best mileage possible cost not being a factor, and if I can't spend more than $150 a tire?

Second is my wife's commuter car 2008 Chevy Cobalt Sport running 205/50/17. Here again we have winter tires. So we need summer tires or whatever will give the best mileage. Again cost not an issue choice and $120 or less for a budget minded descision.

ajjct 03-19-2012 07:03 PM

go to tirerack.com thay got a lot of deals. just enter your size or year & make it will bring up the right size that came with it.

euromodder 03-20-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccphil55 (Post 294489)
Second is my wife's commuter car 2008 Chevy Cobalt Sport running 205/50/17.

Choice in 205/50/17 is rather limited - at least on this side of the Atlantic, and especially in low rolling resistance tires.

Like me, you might get more choice in tires and far better prices if you go to the far more common 205/55/16 - if the Cobalt can take them - even despite the fact that you'd need new rims.

slowmover 03-21-2012 11:13 AM

Barry Smith notes that LRR is almost dubious as a reality (if I have not misunderstood him) as across a range of tire choices the mpg effect may or may not coincide with LRR labelling.

I'd spend a good deal of time at TireRack in reading the comments on tires with:

- 20-million miles of survey reports
- For those who have kept the tires in excess of 40k miles
- A tire that places in the top ten categorically

Second, how long one willl keep the vehicle and how many miles it will travel in that time is the most important consideration. MICHELIN is hands down the easy choice for longest lasting truck tires, and this is the better basis for economy over putative "Green" labelling.

While some other brands may be close, I would be looking at others in my climate, terrain and use (also as above) who most closely simulate my projected use to determine the best choice for a work vehicle.

I would spend more time in rebuilding the front end, eliminating steering slop, and replacing bushings (anti roll bars, FF & RR) and installing (at least) BILSTEIN shocks. Bang for the buck comes down to driver feedback and best transient response. Trucks need all they can get. Ergo, even a "lesser" tire will do well with a tight vehicle, and none can overcome one that is worn (100k or just under 10-years that rubber has deteriorated).

Good luck