Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

FG1 Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic LX

Mnruckus - '11 Honda Ruckus
i just bought a 2000 insight silver-(ofcourse), high miles 220k for 6k sounds high but thats not bad for my area. havent decided wether i did good or not, its a 1 owner car, full car fax clean, real good shape the honda dealer was shocked when they looked at the miles but of course the insight doesnt rust so thats a huge plus up here in mn. i have full service records and in the last 6 months prior to my ownership all this was replaced new ima battery packs, new bridgestone recomended tires, new 12 volt battery, new hatch shocks, few new trim peices, and new clutch kit/throw out.

now for the bad- high miles, tears in the seats, first oil change/stripped oil pan will cost 400-700 to replace i will be installing a quick drain plug, second gear downshift grind, rear spoiler/brake light fell off (easy fix), my rear defrost doesnt work, and last but not least motor mount bushing needs to be replaced (75 for new one).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

FG1 Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic LX

Mnruckus - '11 Honda Ruckus
i forgot the cats and o2 sensors were also just replaced in my car.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For the automatic version of the Insight 1st gen Insight, are there any reports of the CVT transmission going out? I wonder because with the 6th gen Civic HX (lean burn) with the CVT, the CVT was not very reliable, the weak point of the car I've heard all over on forums.
The Insight may use a very similar CVT to the 6th gen Civic HX, though it is under less stress because of the smaller engine.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cracked plastic spoiler, if it rattles when you close the liftgate, most likely it's cracked, it will set you back over $100.

My 04 insight 5 speed when purchased in 2011, had a new Honda oem battery pack, it lasted slightly over two years, evidently Honda only replaces the worn out cells, leaving old cells which test good in the pack. Eventually those cells wear out next, leaving an unusable ima battery in a short time. I went with Bumblebee this time and thus far it's been flawless.

The insight sits low to the ground, in cold rainy fall weather we've had here, squirrels got into the engine compartment (presumably for shelter from the cold and rain) and ate the emissions wiring, to the tune of $300+. If you see squirrels in your neighborhood, garage your Insight!

Other trouble spots: noisy idler, peeling plastic clear coat on the aluminum wheels (cosmetic), window trim rubber cracking/flaking off - plasticoat a temporary fix.

At 162k miles, the clutch, while not slipping, is getting noticeably noisy and jerky especially in reverse. I've considered a CVT, but like others have expressed concerns in long term reliability. If you have to spend 5k on a new CVT that sort of eats up any fuel savings from owning the cvt Insight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric5301 For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-28-2018)
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5301 View Post
Cracked plastic spoiler, if it rattles when you close the liftgate, most likely it's cracked, it will set you back over $100.

My 04 insight 5 speed when purchased in 2011, had a new Honda oem battery pack, it lasted slightly over two years, evidently Honda only replaces the worn out cells, leaving old cells which test good in the pack. Eventually those cells wear out next, leaving an unusable ima battery in a short time. I went with Bumblebee this time and thus far it's been flawless.

The insight sits low to the ground, in cold rainy fall weather we've had here, squirrels got into the engine compartment (presumably for shelter from the cold and rain) and ate the emissions wiring, to the tune of $300+. If you see squirrels in your neighborhood, garage your Insight!

Other trouble spots: noisy idler, peeling plastic clear coat on the aluminum wheels (cosmetic), window trim rubber cracking/flaking off - plasticoat a temporary fix.

At 162k miles, the clutch, while not slipping, is getting noticeably noisy and jerky especially in reverse. I've considered a CVT, but like others have expressed concerns in long term reliability. If you have to spend 5k on a new CVT that sort of eats up any fuel savings from owning the cvt Insight.
Fuel savings for the CVT over the standard? I figured CVT would be better as a cheaper option, with the lower FE balancing it out.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Let me clarify - i am considering a CVT not for increased fuel efficiency versus the manual, but a clutch in the manual 5 speed in Dallas and it's increasingly gridlocked traffic (lots of folks moving here) it can be a challenge as a daily driver.

Two factors - I'm not a spring chicken, and in heavy urban traffic clutches are a form of repetitive strain injury.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No lean burn on the USA CVT models so less MPG.
Maybe buy a new clutch for your manual?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5301 View Post
Let me clarify - i am considering a CVT not for increased fuel efficiency versus the manual, but a clutch in the manual 5 speed in Dallas and it's increasingly gridlocked traffic (lots of folks moving here) it can be a challenge as a daily driver.

Two factors - I'm not a spring chicken, and in heavy urban traffic clutches are a form of repetitive strain injury.
Ah, totally makes sense for your situation. I thought you meant the CVT usually gets better mileage than the standard- I looked like this > lol

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #29 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
MetroMPG Thanks for this thread!!!!!

It help me in making my new purchase.

Last edited by pgfpro; 08-23-2015 at 01:07 PM..
Old 08-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Wow... you're welcome. Did you start a thread? I'm just getting caught up and must have missed it.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (08-24-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread