Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
I have to wear a shirt and tie to work so sweating it out on the way to work is not an option.

Due to that I'm good with just fans to about 85 degrees on way to work and above that cycle the A/C on and off.

Granted on the way home I can just strip to my undershirt and gym shorts and be good with windows up and just the fan running to about 95 or higher.

Think I'm going to get the windows tinted to help be able to tolerate the NC heat better.

2012 mpg
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Humidity / Dew Point is a big factor in A/C usage here...

My problem is that the vent ducts heat up and blow hot air when parked outside. Sometimes I'll kick-on the A/C to cool them down and then just use the vent.

Up to 75 = Vent only (no blower -- maybe the window trick below)

~75-80 = 1-inch pass. window down (or other side depending on wind direction -- it just allows a bunch more air to flow without using the blower fan)

80+ = A/C: (I'm often in work clothes -- long sleeves, sometimes black pants -- I'm not a big fan of the heat to start with).

Recirc, 3/4 Blower, A/C button manual on-off during light loads. Some days, all that's needed is a little compressor action and it's good for a few minutes on recirc.

Even with this technique, I'm losing 3-6% vs. 7-9% if used constantly.

I hear the beaded seat cushion really helps...

RH77

_
_
Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Lots of flammable gasses, like propane and butane, work as refrigerants. They're unsuitable for use in cars, since cracked evaporator + DuraCool + spark = die in a fire.

Cycling jerseys keep you amazingly comfortable, even while you're working hard on a hot, humid day. My summer wardrobe has a few shirts that are made of the same material. A breathable shirt is a must for any summertime road trip.

Fortunately, my employer allows me to wear shorts, athletic socks, and black running shoes with the reflectors colored in with a magic marker. I haven't even thought about turning on the A/C yet this year. I bought a reflective pop-up shade for the windshield and a beaded seat cover, but I haven't need them yet, either.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The clothing actually makes a huge impact as Robert says.

I switched up my CCW carry technique to just use these duofold(its alot like underarmor just its got some cotton so it doesn't itch at all) shirts with built in reinforced pockets(I have molded inserts to keep everything oriented grip out). The shirt I was a fan of anyway because I have several from a fundraiser, but now that I wear one under everything. . .hot days are much more comfortable.

It shows sweat alot faster than a plain cotton T or like synthetic only, so it looks like you are dying but it really feels far superior. If its worn under another layer like I'm doing(hence the concealed part ^_^) it doesn't bleed through to an outershirt(button up, polo whatever).
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Do trailers use them?
It would be handy if they did, and I could squeeze one somewhere. . .
Unfortunately transfer trucks refrigeration unit would be much to large and powerful to use on something like a car.
It seems my laundry list of projects gets longer and I only get to spend no time finishing them. . .-_-
They use them in camping trailers like travel trailer, 5th wheels, some popups too. Probably even boats too. They use propane and/or an electric element to heat the absorption tank. There was a discussion once saying one probably wouldn't be powerful enough for a car, but perhaps you could probably gut the innards of several of them (the fridge box takes the most space) and use your exhaust to heat them. You do have to make sure they are fairly level in order to work, so just mount in the same orientation as the parts were originally. Some RV guys run the fridge when traveling and for them it works fine.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

As high as need be. It's June in South Carolina. Lots of heat, lots of humidity, and lots of bugs. It's on recirculate, which helps a lot. The entire a/c system makes me draw an extra 1/10 gallon per hour.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I haven't driven in two weeks, though I've covered over 100 miles. I love my bikes. Similarly, I haven't used the AC at home either, as my fan does a fine job. My electric bill this month was less than $1 higher this month than last. Bikes and fans are much more fun than cars and air conditioning. :O)
Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
I've had my Prius since the end of March and I've only run the AC once for more than a few minutes (have only run the heat once too)...I'm a little obsessed with getting max mpg...I don't even drive with the windows down unless I'm ready to boil so I can take advantage of the best aero possible.

I do turn the AC and heat on every now and then just to let it run its cycle so it doesn't lock up on me down the line when I really need it.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
Who
UnderModded

Pablo - '07 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD
90 day: 23.62 mpg (US)
My AC uses 0.3 LPH and gets cycles on and off if I get uncomfortable. Car accidents caused by drowsiness or other heat releated distractions seem pretty wasteful as well.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

LOL what a bunch of luddites. AC is a good thing. Just use it.

Reply  Post New Thread