Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Some things to consider, though not always, or even usually true:

The guy driving the hybrid escalde may often transport 5-7 people and needs the room. Perhaps he has a large family or car pools. Would it be more green to have to have a different vehicle for every situation?

The guy driving the escalade has to carry product or samples for his job and needs the room. You don't really know what's behind the tinted glass. I'm glad he's working and helping us support our tax base.

The guy driving the escalade is determined to buy an American vehicle. Yes it's got parts from all over but at least the profits stay here and are taxed to help support our tax base.

The guy driving the escalade loves his Caddie, and has saved for a long time to own one. Even though he uses his bicycle most of the time, sometimes he just needs a vehicle and wants to roll in style.

We never know anyone's total situation, so shouldn't be too quick to judge. After all, he paid a loooooot extra for a few more mpgs.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Bikin' Ed,

I totally agree with you. That's why I am not outright against SUVs the way some people sound like they are.

However, in the ad, they don't even HINT at any of those things.

He's the only guy in the car, there is no trailer or kayak on the roof, they don't even show groceries in back.

In fact, the only thing they make a point of is how LUXURIOUS it is.

In some ways, I think this goes to why the Prius is such a popular car. (I know there are lots of great Prius drivers on this forum, now don't get me wrong.)

Most Prius' I see driving around are FLYING past me on the road. I believe that the typical Prius driver wants to get better fuel economy, but still wants air-conditioning, plenty of seating, etc. In short, being green without making any other changes to their behavior.

Isn't the Hybrid Escalade the same thing? People want to feel better about themselves and save gas, but without making any other changes?

I think the philosophy of most people on this forum is the opposite of that - first, change your behavior (Yourself), then modify your vehicle or get a different one.

I guess that still brings me back to wondering if a Hybrid Giant SUV is a good idea or not. Is it saving fuel because people would just be driving SUVs anyways, or does it just ENCOURAGE SUV ownership because it's now more socially acceptable?

PS: I also thought it was interesting that the drivetrain on this thing is based on one from a BUS!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
i wish they would do something like this to an suv like mine. even new "compact" suvs look huge compared to mine. i don't get it, i can seat 4 very comfortably, carry enough camping supplies for a weekend with those 4, and tow around 4000 pounds. and its a v-6. and i can park dang near anywhere (think ford ranger, but shorter)

my rig with a setup like this would probably pull 50 mpg easy.... guess i need to build it myself
Old 09-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
In a random, Unscientific poll, I usually observe one person and maybe a baby or other passenger I can't see. I did see one towing a boat one weekend

At a GM testdrive event a couple years ago, I drove one of these land yachts on a mild test course. I honestly can't get over how much it just feels like a dressed-up Chevy truck (which is what it is).

The funniest part, is watching people try to park these things. Reminds me of that electric cart scene from Austin Powers.

RH77

_
_
Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
RH77 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
In a random, Unscientific poll, I usually observe one person and maybe a baby or other passenger I can't see. I did see one towing a boat one weekend

At a GM testdrive event a couple years ago, I drove one of these land yachts on a mild test course. I honestly can't get over how much it just feels like a dressed-up Chevy truck (which is what it is).

The funniest part, is watching people try to park these things. Reminds me of that electric cart scene from Austin Powers.

RH77
Ooooooh, maybe I'll carry a clicker for counting the passengers in SUVs. I think I already know the breakdown, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Bikin' Ed,In some ways, I think this goes to why the Prius is such a popular car. (I know there are lots of great Prius drivers on this forum, now don't get me wrong.)

Most Prius' I see driving around are FLYING past me on the road. I believe that the typical Prius driver wants to get better fuel economy, but still wants air-conditioning, plenty of seating, etc. In short, being green without making any other changes to their behavior.
Yes, same here. Thats what Ive thought for years as just about every Prius Ive seen is just flying down the road and through town. Makes me wonder if theyre really getting much for fuel savings. Then again most of them are here to spend wastefully anyway.

This is the first Ive heard of the Escalade Hybrid too. And I first saw the commercial the other night as well. At least its not limited to a Caddy, it can go into any other GM with a similar platform.

I wouldnt want to think about the repair cost on that motor either. Would probably be cheaper to just drive it around as a non-hybrid.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 09-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
BTW, the system is available in 4 door Chevy pickups and Tahoes. It adds about $10K to the price.

You people continue to amaze me. You complain when GM puts out a system that gets 20 mpg, in the city, on a vehicle that weighs almost 3 tons. We all can't drive 50 mpg spam cans, or want to. Heck, a Tahoe would take the place of 3 vehicles in my yard: the minivan that holds 7 people, the Trooper I use to tow my boat and camper, and my wife's Explorer that barely ekes out 17 mpg.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
BTW, the system is available in 4 door Chevy pickups and Tahoes. It adds about $10K to the price.

You people continue to amaze me. You complain when GM puts out a system that gets 20 mpg, in the city, on a vehicle that weighs almost 3 tons. We all can't drive 50 mpg spam cans, or want to. Heck, a Tahoe would take the place of 3 vehicles in my yard: the minivan that holds 7 people, the Trooper I use to tow my boat and camper, and my wife's Explorer that barely ekes out 17 mpg.
But see, you are one of the rare people who would actually use such a vehicle properly and the way it was intended. I can't speak for the rest of the US, but out here in California, most of those vehicles are just bought for they status they claim to bring. 98% of the time they are used a commuter vehicles hauling 1 idiot to and from work. Rare is the truck that is actually used a truck to haul or tow stuff.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hello,

I saw a regular pearl white Escalade a little while back, with some of those blue plastic "testicles" hanging under the trailer hitch...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
This kinda reminds me of an article I read (and now can't find) about the Lexus hybrid that got worse or the same gas milage as the normal version. It's a hybrid, that means its good right?

As much as I dislike SUVs as the station wagon replacement they've become (bring back the wagon!), I applaud the effort to save some fuel.