Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 31.25 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Camry - '98 Toyota Camry
90 day: 27.09 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 71.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post

I have not come across the auto climate control comments - can you summarize this?
Some people have experienced problems where the temperature fluctuates all over the place by tens of degrees F. It appears this might be caused by damaged wiring on some cars.

I haven't even seen a Bolt in person, so I'm only relaying other things I've read.

As far as seat comfort and interior go, I'm not that interested in discussing it. As you say, it's subjective, and the only way I'll know if it meets my expectations is to sit in the car. I have very low standards for interior design too. Plastic is fine by me as long as the cabin noise is low. I'm more concerned with having a logical layout of controls and efficient use of space.

One thing I heard mentioned is that the Bolt uses resistance heating instead of a heat pump. If so, that is disappointing.

The AC is a heat pump, so reversing it to provide heat should be a fairly straightforward task. Nissan figured it out for the Leaf 4 years ago.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (05-16-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #32 (permalink)
JSH
EcoModding Lurker

Spark - '16 Chevy Spark EV
90 day: 158.02 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota Prius Package 6
90 day: 46.95 mpg (US)
The Bolt using resistance heating instead of a heat pump is a bit of a letdown but the car has so much extra range it likely won't be much of an issue in actual use. My Spark also has resistance heat at can consume 30% of the battery during my commute. However even with "only" 82 miles of range I get by OK.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Some people have experienced problems where the temperature fluctuates all over the place by tens of degrees F. It appears this might be caused by damaged wiring on some cars.

I haven't even seen a Bolt in person, so I'm only relaying other things I've read.

One thing I heard mentioned is that the Bolt uses resistance heating instead of a heat pump. If so, that is disappointing.

The AC is a heat pump, so reversing it to provide heat should be a fairly straightforward task. Nissan figured it out for the Leaf 4 years ago.
I have never liked the "auto " climate setting on any car I've ridden in, manual seems the way to go.

The only time a "heatpump" is in a usable temperature range here in mid Wisconsin is during November and March, all other months are too hot or too cold for it to operate (aka above 40 or below 15)

Heat pumps are less efficient than AC in cooling and I op below 15f

That said I have no use for resistance heating, rather have a diesel heater.

Reply  Post New Thread