Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
It makes him your cousin?

I dont think jeeps can do an awful lot to up gas mileage, not without losing

1) Their heritage
2) Their styling (Jeep is a generic term for 4X4)
3) Their off road capability (Why you buy a jeep, supposedly.)

I know people with TJ's and slightly modified (33s, semi aggressive tires, maybe a locker) getting 15 mpg highway and being impressed with that.

The only way I can see them really improving tremendously is diesel or hybrids, and I know a lot of people would refuse to buy them if they did that. No one bought the diesel liberty when it came out, and it was my 2nd choice for a car!
Shew! I thought he was my aunt! And he is a foot taller than me too, I sure would hate to call him that!

Re: Jeeps
Could they not maybe build a "Mild Hybrid" to maybe get a few more miles per gallon out of a jeep? Kinda like what some of the full size trucks are going too now?

Support American
Workers!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
(: I'm glad we got that all sorted out!

I dont know if a mild hybrid would work either. The ones in the GMC trucks arent selling well at all from what I understand.

PS: I grew up in Logan, WV. Only about 30 minutes away from Williamson, KY. Not a bad little hide away.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
(: I'm glad we got that all sorted out!

I dont know if a mild hybrid would work either. The ones in the GMC trucks arent selling well at all from what I understand.

PS: I grew up in Logan, WV. Only about 30 minutes away from Williamson, KY. Not a bad little hide away.
I was born near Prestonsburg and have family between there and Pikeville. It can't be too far from your neck of the woods. (raised in Michigan)

I was wondering how those mild hybrids were selling, after all it seems some of the models only gain about 2 miles per gallon. Golly-Gee, imagine paying extra $$ to gain two whole miles per gallon. I think there comes a limit to these things... I just thought maybe they could get a few more out of a jeep, thats all. What do I know.

Support American
Workers!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Jammer -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

I was wondering how those mild hybrids were selling, after all it seems some of the models only gain about 2 miles per gallon. Golly-Gee, imagine paying extra $$ to gain two whole miles per gallon. I think there comes a limit to these things... I just thought maybe they could get a few more out of a jeep, thats all. What do I know.
I liked the idea of "porting" the Saturn Aura mild-hybrid drivetrain into an Ion. Get it into a compact car and see what happens. At least you get auto stop/start for free, which is what I think BMW is tauting in some of their Efficient Dyamics car designs.

Not worth it, but intriguing nonetheless.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
There's plenty of diesel fans putting 4bts and other various diesels into jeeps and loving it a lot. But for Joe Average diesel is a dirty word and they're completely ignorant of the advantages.

Think of the MPGs possible if the Prius came with a 1.5l diesel instead of the gasser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
ShadeTreeMech -

Yarp :

Saturn S-Series TDI - SaturnFans Forums
Quote:
I got everything out of a Jetta that was being parted out (motor, trans, ECU, wiring, intercooler, various bits, ect) for $2300, plus another $350 to ship it from California to Maine. If you ever have to have something like this shipped, have it shipped to a business, such as your employer like I did with mine. It's cheaper that way, and I just had one of my coworkers bring it to my house in his truck.

A couple of things I've done so far: I made up a new piece to fit the Saturn clutch master cylinder with a 1/8" FPT so I can use it to work the Jetta clutch slave cylinder, and I blew the Saturn shifter apart so I can rework it for the Jetta shift pattern. I'll get some pictures of this up so you can get a visual of what I am talking about.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

Will they build the cars in the US or import them ?

Jeeps and Chryslers have Diesels in Europe - I think from MB or VM. I can count the number of 'Hemi' chryslers I've seen on the roads here with 2 fingers in the last 5 years.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hypermiling rookie

Opel Corsa B - '96 Opel Corsa 1.2 8V
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)

VW Bora 1.6 16V - '02 Volkswagen Bora/Jetta
90 day: 35.84 mpg (US)
Question

Hmm, this sounds like a good idea but I don't know if FIAT is going to fit the bill. Yes, they are great looking little cars and in the past few years they introduces some neat things such as multiair injection technology (the 1.3 engine which was also used on Opel is my favorite engine at the moment that I want to have in my next car) and new models like the Cinquecento.

The problem in my opinions lies with the reliability of FIAT which in Europe doesn't quite stand up to the test of time...
Since I first started reading car magazines and such I always remember FIAT's not exceeding in terms of reliability as well as keeping their value over time. I find the following article edifying towards my point: Article
As a side note to this check this Very Funny Story

I wish Chrysler would've have the opportunity to team up with a Japanese/German "girl" and make a bunch of US grown highly FE babies

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford

Last edited by Laurentiu; 06-27-2010 at 03:48 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread