Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The belts in CVTs today are 400 plus segmented steel "push belts". The steel segments compress against each other transmitting power and their travel on the faces of the pulleys makes for a fairly even wear pattern. Once the after market repair industry gets "in tune" with the design, it might just be the easiest and least expensive transmission to rebuild of all options.

The very tall overdrive ratios, being computer controlled, make lugging the engine impossible.

regards
mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Nissan also addressed the bad reputation with a 10-120 warranty AND the Murano had a 3500 lb towing capacity with the CVT.

regards
mech
Yes, they seem to be really trying to fix the earlier CVT reputation problems. Our Pathfinder has a tow rating of 5000 lbs but only a 5 yr/ 60k mile warranty. I have no idea if it's a totally different CVT from the Murano or not.

Nissan also seems to be really pushing the CVTs, probably because as you stated, they make them. For instance, my Note only has the manual available in the S trim which is (MSRP) $1250 less than the S PLUS. The S PLUS is an identical car with the CVT and active grill shutters, which aren't even an option for the manual. My manual is listed at 27/36 MPG and the S PLUS is listed at 31/40 MPG.

Reply  Post New Thread