EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Civic GX (CNG) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/civic-gx-cng-36466.html)

Andrey 05-15-2018 11:40 PM

Civic GX (CNG)

Hello all,
My name is Andrey from Southern California. I'm starting a new job soon that will increase my commute from 10 to almost 30 miles (each way). For the first several months to a year I'll need to drive an additional 30-100 miles a couple of times per week. This extra driving will be reimbursed by my employer. I'm a Honda guy, so I had to get one as a new commuter. The hybrids are impressive but I really like the idea of cheap gas that doesn't fluctuate wildly like gasoline. There are a good number of CNG stations around me and along my commute to make this a viable option. Without further adue, introducing the new gas/cash/environment saver here, my new (to me) 2011 Civic GX. It is in great shape, one owner, dealer maintained car. The first two tanks yielded in the high 30's which I'm really happy with. First mod will be hybrid wheels. I'll post some pics soon. This Honda is being added to my fleet consisting of a 1995 del Sol VTEC, 2005 Odyssey, and a 2010 BF60 outboard. I'm looking forward to participating and getting my MPG up a bit.

California98Civic 05-16-2018 12:57 AM

Welcome, fellow Californian. I am down in OC on the coast.

jcp123 05-16-2018 01:07 AM

Hello from a former Californian! Born and raised NorCal :) CNG would be an interesting thing to watch. Please do keep us posted.

Also, re: being a Honda guy: I spent most of my car guy years hating Hondas, until I bought one as a beater. Everything is so light and tossable, but never fragile-feeling. I now get why people are so into them.

jcp123 05-16-2018 01:08 AM

Hello from a former Californian! Born and raised NorCal :) CNG would be an interesting thing to watch. Please do keep us posted.

Also, re: being a Honda guy: I spent most of my car guy years hating Hondas, until I bought one as a beater. Everything is so light and tossable, but never fragile-feeling. I now get why people are so into them.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-17-2018 12:47 AM

CNG is quite popular in my country, but Honda has never offered the Civic GX here. Is it a dedicated-CNG vehicle, right?

Andrey 05-17-2018 02:26 AM

Thank you for the warm welcomes. The Civic GX is a dedicated CNG vehicle, not many of those in the US either rooster.... In LA county, many municipalities operate these but not much private ownership. I'm surprised not to see more GXers here.

Daschicken 05-17-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrey (Post 569842)
Hello all,
My name is Andrey from Southern California. I'm starting a new job soon that will increase my commute from 10 to almost 30 miles (each way). For the first several months to a year I'll need to drive an additional 30-100 miles a couple of times per week. This extra driving will be reimbursed by my employer. I'm a Honda guy, so I had to get one as a new commuter. The hybrids are impressive but I really like the idea of cheap gas that doesn't fluctuate wildly like gasoline. There are a good number of CNG stations around me and along my commute to make this a viable option. Without further adue, introducing the new gas/cash/environment saver here, my new (to me) 2011 Civic GX. It is in great shape, one owner, dealer maintained car. The first two tanks yielded in the high 30's which I'm really happy with. First mod will be hybrid wheels. I'll post some pics soon. This Honda is being added to my fleet consisting of a 1995 del Sol VTEC, 2005 Odyssey, and a 2010 BF60 outboard. I'm looking forward to participating and getting my MPG up a bit.

Hybrid wheels would be a good choice, probably cheap too since I can see people ditching them for cooler options. Are they 15" or 16"? I have 16" Acura RSX rims on my accord right now, which are 7.5 pounds lighter PER RIM than my previous OEM 17" rims. They are very open rims which are terrible for aero, and I was planning to make wheel covers for them, but........parents.

I believe the BF60 is based on the 1st gen insight engine, it even retains lean burn. :thumbup:

Andrey 05-17-2018 10:55 PM

The wheels are Enkei 15s and are pretty light. Are all Honda wheels made by Enkei?
My total cost (including install and balance) is $235 and I'm reusing the tires that came with the car. They were used as winter wheels and actually had studded tires. They were obviously put away dirty and were pretty etched and pitted with salt.... Cleaned up nicely though, I'll wash the car and take some pics. Still have to paint the center caps which are pretty faded. I considered the RSX wheels but decided against them because of the size and aero differences.

Interesting point on the BF60 / Insight engine connection. Specs look close enough to make it true. It is extremely efficient on my 1995 Boston Whaler Dauntless 15, yielding 8-10mpg (which is great for boats).

Andrey 05-20-2018 08:28 PM

Need two more posts to upload pics...

Andrey 05-20-2018 08:29 PM