Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ranger - '94 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
90 day: 19.99 mpg (US)
4.0 4x4 Ranger improvements

I did a full upper grille block somewhere just after half way thru this last tank. Despite the ridicule from coworkers I am up from my last fill of 19.97 to my now best tank of 20.55. I expect the next tank to be better than that. Maybe not that impressive to most people here, but encouraging to me. My goal is 23 mpg.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Considering your fuel log it seems that you might just be adjusting the nut more and more. But as you start to do mods it'll become an addiction. If they think the grill block is weird there's something wrong because normally grill blocks are accepted by everyone because of cold weather. I think your goal of 23 is very easily achievable

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I agree most of my gains are from changing the way I drive. I'm positive the grille block has improved my mileage at least a small amount, if only due to the fact that my truck gets up to temperature much quicker. I also can't say I did anything different with my driving this week than last, and on top of that I did more driving through town in congested traffic than normal. I did fill up at a different tank than usual and that could have shifted my numbers, which will be evident in the next couple tanks if true.

I spent all week hearing about how I'm going to blow my truck up because my motor can't breathe. Monday I found flowers stuck in the grill. I've been asked about the air dam. No one can figure out why it's there because they KNOW there is no way it could improve my fuel efficiency. Apparently ford made the perfect truck in 1994 and I shouldn't be adjusting anything on it. I walked outside today and the same guy that told me how redneck and stupid it was has a pair of hemostats for a radio antenna... go figure. While he sits around this weekend using his antenna, I'll keep working on saving some money at the pump.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
just watch your temp gauge and you should be fine. I got a full block on my grand am and it only goes above normal temps in city driving. granted its not the bulletproof ford 4.0s. I had a 95 ford explorer with the 4.0 ohv, its 1 hell of a motor, had 208k miles on motor and tranny b4 the brake lines went on me...

As far as people get used to it... there are people that think there is no possible way to get better FE no matter what you do and we're all idiots but im laughin at the pump =)
And redneck haha no1 would dare say something like that in my area when theres trucks riding around on 37"+ tires

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
don't be discouraged if you don't get better mileage because of this cold weather, the mileage will drop..so you may be doing better but the cold is wasting a little more fuel than in the summer

Old 11-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Good point GRU - that's one I often find myself making at this time of year to people who may not know about the seasonal dip.

I think it's funny the other guys are giving you a hard time. They're not paying for your gas though!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New high 20.73 mpg. When the weather warms back up I'm going to try to get some pizza pan wheel covers and side skirts on. I'll also be doing a cab extension/kammback. I think my numbers would be a lot better right now if I had a block heater. This truck just seems to run cool. I have a new thermostat because I have suspicions the current one may be stuck open. I haven't been able to change it due to being busy/no garage to work in/weather.

Reply  Post New Thread