Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #71 (permalink)
Heilopower

Platinum Ghost - '14 Ford Fusion SE
90 day: 27.51 mpg (US)
The recent Photoshop job showing the improved aero designs on the truck sure do look promising. Is there anyway the windscreen angle could be increased slightly to gain improvement in that area?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-04-2017, 03:18 AM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
$ure.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
ThermionicScott (02-06-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks guys... Quick reply from my phone..

Brushes... Would definitely need to see if something is available that could resist the pressure... May be as simple as increasing from a hair of thin nylon brush.. To something more rigid... To be investigated...

Air gap... I am looking at using vortex generators to skips the gap... For far reduced pricing compared to modifying every trailer...

We can't change the cab without significant changes and testing for safety... So the windscreen will remain static unfortunately
Old 02-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Guys,
The back of the drivers / passengers step..(behind the fender..inline with the top step prior to entering the door, the area just infront of the "sleeper")..
Would that be high pressure or low pressure?

I am thinking I could possibly put air intakes from there...would only be a simple redirect..and would negate the need to have anything other than cooling intakes on the front..

thoughts?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:48 AM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I'd go with alternating high and low, AKA turbulent buffeting.

If you pace one of your truck in a driving rain, you'll probably see an outward, forward-rolling vortex exiting the wheelwell. At least that's my experience observing trucks on the freeway.

Then there's the gusting sidewinds.

Not saying it can't be done. Compare the VW Beetle's air intake, intentionally positioned under the vortexes created by the short roof, to the Tatra that used big elephant-ear scoops over the rear fenders. CDF or wind tunnel time.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
craysus (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:57 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Might just go with a snorkel.. Known to work well... Put it up behind the cab into a cut out on the top edge of the roof fairing... Should have minimal effect on aero... And work really well with cold clean air

Last edited by craysus; 02-06-2017 at 01:18 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to craysus For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-06-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Have just investigated the prime model of truck I am looking at modifying..
Looks like the radiator can be lowered, and the header tanks relocated very cheaply..meaning that hood in the mock up drawing will be VERY easy to fit..
We also have a later model Kenworth hood here we can modify easily..it has the modern fender lines, and would simply need sectioning to reduce width (New cabs much wider than old trucks), and the nose cone dropped to the new angle..meaning the time taken to develop this is significantly less (And associated costs!)
We would then simple have to remount the fan (Or a higher quality unit) onto the crank shaft..mount a modern aero bumper (slightly lower than original OEM) and then work on the rest of the aero..

Gives me the ROI estimate as shown in this spreadsheet

Please feel free to advise if you think my estimates are wrong...I am trying to be accurate and conservative..

Last edited by craysus; 02-07-2017 at 08:24 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Interesting place to host your spreadsheet.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Its quick to upload, and works well with forums, and unlike some of the other image hosting sites, the images dont expire 3 months later..

A performance car forum im one of the administrators of, uses it for their forum image hosting, instead of the default vbulletin rubbish..

Although...I posted it on postimg.org....not on pixxxels lol...must be a sister site they have hahahahaha

Last edited by craysus; 02-07-2017 at 08:12 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I had a bit more investigation into the "brushes" under the truck. Some of our current rigs have a simple mudflap with some 10mm bar behind it to add support, already located infront of the wheels..
As such, it would be simple enough to use mudflap style material to create a V, and put a simple frame behind it using the same 10mm bar. Yes it might bend if hit hard enough when going over something...but also would be relatively easy to straighten back to correct location.
Might be able to use the mudflaps I am proposing taking off the trucks to replace with aero flaps to save some costs as well.

Reply  Post New Thread