Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #1021 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Our politicians tend to sway around the middle regardless of political affiliation, which is mostly a good thing.

Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan is very conservative, suggesting some things in the past were great and worth conserving.

Obama's "Hope and Change" slogan is very liberal, suggesting things are bad now, and need to change.

Of course, both viewpoints hold merit. Things right now are fairly great, and those great things should remain. Things could be better though, and in those areas, change is needed.

I don't purge any friends, and I listen to extreme viewpoints on all sides, usually finding agreement somewhere in the middle. I have no interest in the big box "news" outlets though. If I wanted to listen to awful noise, I'd put something metallic down the garbage disposal.

Looks like I slightly bought in to the US ideal of freedom and personal responsibility.
The world needs more of you, open to people on their own merits and not so destructively and toxically tribal. I fall on a distinctive and different part of that political diagram, but I sense in you someone who's badly needed these days. You're also spot-on that news is more about providing a circus for profit rather than informing. It's turned reasonable people into slavish partisans who just want to hear some confirmation bias. We need both a conservative and a liberal side which exist in some tension to keep things from going too far, but the tension has been too strong for a number of years, and the pendulum swings risk becoming too great.

To tie it into the thread, global warming has become such a political issue that there's no room at all for nuance, which frankly is sad and precludes any real discussion on what to do, since we are still stuck on doing something vs. doing nothing. Once our politicians grab ahold of an issue, you can more or less kiss goodbye any notion of a sensible outcome.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #1022 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I'm self-diagnosed since I won't supply personal data to an obvious honeypot.

The only quarrel I would have with that 2D grid is in putting libertarian at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123
We need both a conservative and a liberal side which exist in some tension to keep things from going too far...
Look into Jordan Peterson on the Jungian concepts of animus and anima.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #1023 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

Did Turnip undo all of the coal-related regulations President Obama signed into law?
Yes the coal price has doubled in the last year with the removal of the senseless and ridiculous anti coal regulations.

If they really cared about the environment then then they would have taxed it and used those coal taxes to directly fund thorium reactor R&D.

Taxing it out of existence only hurts the consumer.
Legitimately making it obsolete by way of new tech would be good for everyone.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 02-26-2018 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #1024 (permalink)
Banned

Am I right to presume too much heat it's a enemy of solar cells efficiency ?
The infrared antenna coul be placed bellow the silicon colar cells, to capture the heat and convert to electricity, enhancing the efficience of the solar panel.

About global warming, I can say testosteron it's killing the planete=.
Cars are target of advertising connecting the car size and power to sexuality of driver, and that it's a rule for USA car's comrcials. On Europe people use a lot more small cars than on USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
When are you going to jump in? Here's what's on the horizon: Nanoscale infrared antennae harvests re-radiation

https://inhabitat.com/solar-panels-work-at-night/

Stepping blue down to a more efficient color for normal cells

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-ne...nel-efficiency

Old 02-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #1025 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Small cars for small countries with narrow streets.

q=do+women+or+men+buy+more+cars

Women buy 65% of cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Muldowney
Quote:
Shirley Muldowney (born June 19, 1940[1]), also known professionally as "Cha Cha" and the "First Lady of Drag Racing", is an American auto racer. She was the first woman to receive a license from the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) to drive a Top Fuel dragster. She won the NHRA Top Fuel championship in 1977, 1980, and 1982, becoming the first person to win two and three Top Fuel titles.[2][3] She won a total of 18 NHRA national events.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #1026 (permalink)
Banned

Women are very sexist too... they let man do dirty work (war, fights, profit greed), and then call them animals... Most man who left jail have many women waiting for them. In my citiy I'm less respected by women, me being right and very reserved, than a cretin son of a b... who cheat women and discharge after use.
And women likes to express power using material possessions too. But the power also can comes from the patriarcal culture.
No intention be blame women, but both genders are equally bad today.

Logic must be the key point. People today are selfish and individualist, most drive alone today instead of share a vehicle like decades ago. Cities are a chaos ... pollution, no space, streets congestion. If everyone use a large car to drive alone...

Car advertise exploit a sex to sell.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-27-2018 at 04:28 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #1027 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This is the appropriate venue for this discussion.

When you look into these issues you find that [big-F]eminism has had three waves, the suffragette that got the vote, the bra-banners that got equality, and the Frankfurt School Marxist post-modernists. The latter simply don't know to quit when they're ahead, and the results, like Gamergate, constitute a Men's Rights movement. To get an idea of what that's about look on Youtube for
Jordan Peterson (esp. the Cathy Newman interview)
Stephan Molyneux
Black Pigeon Speaks
Quote:
People today are selfish and individualist, most drive alone today instead of share a vehicle like decades ago.
The tension between collectivism and sovereignty is necessary, you need both tendencies.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #1028 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Good point All Darc about consumer motivations. (most) Men act macho because it's attractive to (most) women. You can't ignore core human nature when looking for solutions to problems; you have to work within it.

Quote:
The only quarrel I would have with that 2D grid is in putting libertarian at the top.

Look into Jordan Peterson on the Jungian concepts of animus and anima.
Authoritarian makes sense at the top axis since it's "doing something" that makes for an authoritarian environment, whereas libertarian is the outcome of doing nothing except for "live and let live".

I'm in the process of absorbing whatever ideas I can from Jordan. It's going to take some time because he will casually mention a fundamental philosophical concept that I'm not familiar with, and that will launch a whole new trajectory of study just to approach the idea he is discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
To tie it into the thread, global warming has become such a political issue that there's no room at all for nuance, which frankly is sad and precludes any real discussion on what to do, since we are still stuck on doing something vs. doing nothing. Once our politicians grab ahold of an issue, you can more or less kiss goodbye any notion of a sensible outcome.
Hyping your point here. For some reason our political discourse has an all or nothing approach rather than even acknowledging that the other point of view has any merit at all, or any concessions that address the other point of view.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-27-2018 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #1029 (permalink)
Banned

What's the name of the wave which forbidden man to pee stand in Sweden?

I call this crap of vaginacentrism, or vaginistocracy.

Quote:
This is the appropriate venue for this discussion.

When you look into these issues you find that [big-F]eminism has had three waves, the suffragette that got the vote, the bra-banners that got equality, and the Frankfurt School Marxist post-modernists. The latter simply don't know to quit when they're ahead, and the results, like Gamergate, constitute a Men's Rights movement. To get an idea of what that's about look on Youtube for
Jordan Peterson (esp. the Cathy Newman interview)
Stephan Molyneux
Black Pigeon Speaks

The tension between collectivism and sovereignty is necessary, you need both tendencies.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #1030 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Jordan Peterson's an interesting cat. I won't say I'm always 100% in his camp, but he darn sure brings a big brain to the table and makes a ton of great points that a lot of folks are too cowed to make these days. Even when I don't agree with him, he makes me think. I've definitely been a fan of his for the last year or so.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam