Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #781 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sipper - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 40.14 mpg (US)

Global warming, wait nope that's not working and a lot of scientists are showing how that wouldn't entirely be a bad thing as it would allow large areas of land that can't currently grow much to grow more crops, we shall call it climate change so no matter what natural disaster happens we can blame it on it. Look see polar ice caps are melting be afraid be very afraid do what we say or we're all going to die! look see sea levels are rising... WHAT wait sea levels are dropping how is that possible!!???

Simple psyhics, waters like heavy man, more was added, so it like crushed the ocean floor down more man, Earth ant a perfect sphere dude it's like a ugly spheroid **** moves around man.

Q: If the ocean floor is being crushed lower, and sea levels dropping, doesn't that mean sooner or later something has to equalize?

Last edited by DSMHondaGuy; 01-11-2018 at 11:49 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #782 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 31.25 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 79.06 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)
I listened to 2 Rubin Report podcasts on climate change during my 3 day, 1,600 mile travel to Montana and back.

I found the Epstein interview more interesting and compelling.

The Mann interview was also interesting, but I found it lacking in substance. If the science is so well known, then why can't there be consensus as to what level of CO2 is acceptable? It seems too convenient that "science" says humans are capable of adapting to natural climate change, but incapable of adapting quickly enough to the small portion that is attributable to human activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
You shouldn't believe the FUD. There is no data manipulation. The science is strong and as certain as we can be.

Read "Merchants of Doubt" - and follow the money. Fossil fuel companies are desperate to keep earning record profits.

Exxon knew in 1978 that humans are causing climate change.
What science is strong? That the earth has been warmer than it is today for most of history?

What does a business wanting to remain profitable have to do with a facts truthfulness?

Humans do not cause climate change; not even close. They affect it, but do not change it. If we had the ability to change climate, we would engineer rain in the deserts to increase productivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Neil, did you completely ignore Forbes saying Daily Mail may have a point?
That was among the worst articles I've read lately. In all those words, it said nothing. It alluded to damning Daily Mail accusations, but never mentioned what those accusations were. Then it went off the rails suggesting that biased people are incapable of finding truth. Nonsense. Everyone has biases.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-12-2018 at 01:17 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 03:03 AM   #783 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,437 Posts
I like Rubin Report. He's a centrist.

I've made it 2/3rds through the Epstein interview. He seems like an earnest young man that has been exposed to Ayn Rand. Someone needs to inform him about R. Buckminster Fuller's Anticipatory Design Science, his ground-breaking articles in 1940 Fortune magazine, his World Game, 'metaphysically engendered materials', and so on and so forth. His mind would be receptive. And blown.

OTOH he insists 'fossil' fuels are life-based. He admits methane in Saturn's rings, but neglects carbonaceous asteroids and deep, hot abiotic processes.

His 'anti-nuclear argument' is specious. Energy is consumed and it's gone, but radiation has a long tail. Nobody got time for that.

He's right about fossil fuels being our 'free' energy period. Fracking isn't progress, it's declining return.

No love for Moon (tidal) power?
Old 01-12-2018, 03:21 AM   #784 (permalink)
Ecomuggler

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.24 mpg (US)
Neil, it is curious you said to follow the money. Yes, oil companies are more interested in their own profits than anything else. Is McDonald's any better?

Remember how the Paris Pinkie Swear costs $100 Trillion for just the first phase?

Oil companies are suspect because money is involved, but the people pushing the green agenda aren't?
Old 01-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #785 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 31.25 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 79.06 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I like Rubin Report. He's a centrist.

I've made it 2/3rds through the Epstein interview. He seems like an earnest young man that has been exposed to Ayn Rand. Someone needs to inform him about R. Buckminster Fuller's Anticipatory Design Science, his ground-breaking articles in 1940 Fortune magazine, his World Game, 'metaphysically engendered materials', and so on and so forth. His mind would be receptive. And blown.

OTOH he insists 'fossil' fuels are life-based. He admits methane in Saturn's rings, but neglects carbonaceous asteroids and deep, hot abiotic processes.

His 'anti-nuclear argument' is specious. Energy is consumed and it's gone, but radiation has a long tail. Nobody got time for that.

He's right about fossil fuels being our 'free' energy period. Fracking isn't progress, it's declining return.

No love for Moon (tidal) power?
I appreciate Rubin's approach to seed the conversation and just let the guest speak uninterrupted. I also appreciate that he can be strongly opposed to an idea while still valuing the person who holds them. I'm of a similar personality, where no topics are out of bounds, and nothing said can make me hate.

As stated elsewhere, modern nuclear reactors need not have "waste" that lasts thousands of years. It's still a true statement to say that nuclear produces more MWh of energy per human life than any other source.

Fracking is progress since it allows us to extract more energy than what is invested. Sure, it's more costly, but all advances have diminishing returns.

I'm as excited to move away from fossil fuels as anyone (I saved weeks worth of allowance to buy an $8 photovoltaic cell from Radio Shack to experiment with), but until better alternatives get us there, we should not loath our own existence for having benefited from them.

In my view, Epstein's most profound comment is the insane view some hold that the less human ingenuity in a product, the better it is for humanity.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #786 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)

Click to play gif.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1515771395

>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noaa_gisp2_icecore_anim3.gif
Views:	9
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	23353  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #787 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,148 Posts
Here's a science reporter, with sources, that addresses this far more comprehensively than I can.

The fact that we humans are driving the climate to change at this time - is as certain as smoking tobacco causes cancer. Period.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #788 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I can believe we're having an effect. I disagree with the magnitude some (many) propose however.

Also note the short period of time we have accurate global weather data makes it statistically meaningless, and will be imo for several hundreds years more before there's enough data from a long enough length of time to be meaningful in showing any trends, patterns or changes.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #789 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,148 Posts
We have long term climate data - which is distinct from weather data.

I urge you all to watch the video series I just posted.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 01-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #790 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What from, polar ice cores? That tells a portion leaves causes purely up to speculation and is fallible.

Also consider the green save the world from ourselves movement is worth billions. Anyway I'll watch the videos you posted later once in home, on a 10min break at work now.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam