Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Is long distance(1-10mi) coasting in neutral bad on my Auto transmission?(engine on)
Yes, absolutely 2 10.53%
No, not bad at all 11 57.89%
Maybe, it depends 7 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I EOC (engine on) the Altima all the time,
I just wanted to clarify that EOC stands for Engine Off Coasting. So "EOC (engine on)" would just be "Coasting"

Carry on...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I just wanted to clarify that EOC stands for Engine Off Coasting. So "EOC (engine on)" would just be "Coasting"

Carry on...
Try an original idea like "Coasting in Neutral-Engine ON". Maybe CN or CINEO. Coasting an automatic could mean you have your foot off the gas in drive, or in neutral.
The OP was a question about coasting in neutral. Got any input?

EOC= Engine ON Coasting. I can create my own terms and abbreviations.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
mcrews (10-06-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
With all the automatics I've driven, foot off the accelerator will enable engine (or transmission) braking and under some circumstances fuel cut (DFCO). I consider coasting with an automatic to only be when shifted into neutral.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Burning oil to move air.

ausiasmobil - '06 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI Reference
90 day: 40.22 mpg (US)

EcoTxec - '99 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI 110 cv Laurin & Klement
90 day: 52.85 mpg (US)
I recomended a Touareg 5.0 v10 TDI Driver to try coasting when downhill in a spanish forum.

But, some users of wich reported me that going neutral in Tiptronic automatic gaerbox will produce failure and "it's illegal in Somewhereland".

What do you think? Coasting will damage a torque converter automatic like Tourag V10? If you know Self Study Programs, Toureg's v10 gearbox is "ssp 300 6 speed automatic" where you could find technicaal description.
It has when full throttle: 500 Nm at 1000rpm and 750 Nm at 2000 rpm.
It also has large gearings 6th gear 1000rpm speed is 60 km/h, so neutral to drive transition at 120 km/h it will need 900 to 2000 rpm change.
Reving the engine to 2000 rpm will help? Tiptronic could be used lique a sequential box in the "maual" mode so is it posible go N to D in 6th?

It's neutral so bad when stopped in a red light?

I've heard the same hurt thing if you wait the green light stopped in Drive and pushing de brake pedal? I've tested only two automatic gearboxes ( peugeot 1007 automatic and Honda Insight' 2010) both of them started to move when I released the brake Pedal when D was selected.

Maybe so many questions, hahahaha

Sold:

Last edited by ausias; 07-18-2012 at 06:49 AM..
Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
High Mileage Lover

Sophia - '13 Fiat 500
Send a message via AIM to Atheria Send a message via Yahoo to Atheria
I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I posted the same type of question in the general discussion forum. I got some helpful answers.

Atheria
Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
2011 Ford Fiesta & 1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

2011 Ford Fiesta S-trim(sedan) w/ 6speed Dual-clutch Powershift. (Servo controlled)
Engine On/Off Coasting, both works flawlessly. No Tq converter so no lock-up. The AT/Computer keeps Power/Tq to the wheels at ALL time.

E(ON)C... If in 6th/70mph@~2600rpms at start of coast, end up at 25mph, the gearbox will downshift automatically to corrispond with the rate of speed. that includes down-shifting to either 5th/~45mph down to 4th/~35mph, and so-on down to the next gear to match speed

E(Off)C, key in (Acc/On Mode).. Take the same instance above, while engine is off, the Computer/Tranny will still downshift according to rate of speed. Restart engine whenever its time to shift back into (D)

E(Off)C, Key (OFF mode)... Start coast at any speed>switch to (N)>Turn key "Off'>Reach determined coast-down speed>Restart engine.. At this point While still in (N), the computer/trans has/should already have the gear selected to corrispond with the rate of speed before switching back to (D)

*Since this setup is to keep Power/Tq to the wheels at all time while in (D) except for at a full stop w/brake pedal active(which dis-engages the clutch/gear to elliminate friction losses). When re-entering (D) at speed, the engine will automatically rev-up to rpms to match Trans ratio/Rate of speed, to return power instantly to the wheels without any interaction with the "GO" pedal... There is a small continuos ammount of engine breaking, but with no sustained damage to the drivetrain.
<^>To counteract this event, about 5% added throttle will elliminate any engine breaking, once the engine is at load, then a steady press on "GO pedal" for smooth sailing.

**IF for any reason you are "E(OFF)C, in (Acc/On mode)" and accidently shift back to (D) with the engine Still OFF, the clutch does not engage! Further more will not burn up the clutch(s) or ruin the engine/drivetrain. In this case you must shift back to (N)>turn Key OFF completely>Restart, then engage into (D) from (N)... Is the safest way.

IN ANOTHER WORLD: Would NOT recommend ANY coasting in a 1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi other than, E(ON)C, Still in Drive ...Sounds like the spawn of satan trying to escape through the tranny otherwise!

Last edited by RiderofBikes; 08-09-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
automatic transmission, coasting, hypermile, neutural, sunfire