Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Spin - '03 Mazda Miata SE
90 day: 26.55 mpg (US)
I really enjoyed reading that review. It may have swayed my decision on the car that I replace the miata with. It's a lot easier to ecomod a "beater" than a low miles temp car.

Interesting you mention that, since if you compare them side-by-side how similar the old Integra is to the new civic, yet the civic is getting 5-7mpg higher. Then again, it is 5 more years of technology

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I really enjoyed reading that review. It may have swayed my decision on the car that I replace the miata with. It's a lot easier to ecomod a "beater" than a low miles temp car.

Interesting you mention that, since if you compare them side-by-side how similar the old Integra is to the new civic, yet the civic is getting 5-7mpg higher. Then again, it is 5 more years of technology
The newer Civic does, in fact, offer similar mileage to the Integra. The difference is the up-front cost, configuration, and transmission:
  1. My review includes a 10-year old vehicle, thus cheaper to purchase
  2. The Civic does not currently offer a 3-door with the cargo capacity (either 2- or 4-Doors), and...
  3. The 5-speed option in either vehicle is available (I reviewed the 4-speed auto)...

The newer Civic probably emits less -- it all depends on your budget and the consideration of the amount of energy it takes to manufacture and transport a new vehicle vs. a used one...

RH77

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 01-15-2008 at 11:05 PM..
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm sorry if my response came across wrong. I understand that you were reviewing the automatic 1998 Acura Integra with the base 140hp B18B1 engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
The newer Civic does, in fact, offer similar mileage to the Integra. The difference is the up-front cost, configuration, and transmission:
  1. My review includes a 10-year old vehicle, thus cheaper to purchase
  2. The Civic does not currently offer a 3-door with the cargo capacity (either 2- or 4-Doors), and...
  3. The 5-speed option in either vehicle is available (I reviewed the 4-speed auto)...

The newer Civic probably emits less -- it all depends on your budget and the consideration of the amount of energy it takes to manufacture and transport a new vehicle vs. a used one...

RH77
Looking strictly at the "upmarket civic" comment, I find it ironic that the current generation civic has essentially replaced the Integra... matching its msrp, weight, engine displacement, dimensions, etc.

considering all that (especially the similarity in weight/x-area/engine displacement) I find it quite interesting that the city mileage (strictly looking at EPA specifications for the 5spd manual version of both) of the civic is higher. Which (to me) raises the question of if you had an Integra, what types of tricks/tuning could be gleaned from the new civic and applied to improve your efficiency?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm sorry if my response came across wrong. I understand that you were reviewing the automatic 1998 Acura Integra with the base 140hp B18B1 engine.
Looking strictly at the "upmarket civic" comment, I find it ironic that the current generation civic has essentially replaced the Integra... matching its msrp, weight, engine displacement, dimensions, etc.

considering all that (especially the similarity in weight/x-area/engine displacement) I find it quite interesting that the city mileage (strictly looking at EPA specifications for the 5spd manual version of both) of the civic is higher. Which (to me) raises the question of if you had an Integra, what types of tricks/tuning could be gleaned from the new civic and applied to improve your efficiency?
Sorry as well, I wasn't trying to be defensive -- just personally justifying (mosty to myself) that it's OK not to run out buy that new Civic.

You're right, the new Civic with a 1.8L is very similar as it plumped-up over the years. The emissions on a new car are, indeed, much lower. If I got another vehicle at this point, it would probably be along the lines of a Civic GX -- but the refueling availability has to improve. My commute is perfect for its range. For now, the 'Teg keeps plugging away, and it's paid off

Regarding your question, I know of someone who had a late-model Civic 5-speed Coupe, and became frustrated with the mileage on it and got a Mazda 3. I think he mostly focused on technique, tho.

I'd probably go with the standard intake air temp increase, EBH, LRR tire choice and over-inflation, aero mods, and mods beyond...

RH77

_
_
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Sorry as well, I wasn't trying to be defensive -- just personally justifying (mosty to myself) that it's OK not to run out buy that new Civic.
No worries, that's something I can *completely* understand

Quote:
Regarding your question, I know of someone who had a late-model Civic 5-speed Coupe, and became frustrated with the mileage on it and got a Mazda 3. I think he mostly focused on technique, tho.
I dunno, i've found that with buying a car new (or over $10k) I'm less likely to want to do the kind of ecomodder things that I'd be more likely to do to a used sub-$10k car.

Reply  Post New Thread