Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Controller Questions

Hi Guys,

I'm new here although I have been lurking for a long time plotting and planning. I ordered a controller from Paul and it arrived Monday evening. I've got the thing all assembled and have began playing with it on the bench.

My EV is a 94 Ford Ranger. I'll be running 144v (24 12v AGMs) but im still torn on which motor to use -- Maybe FB1-4001...Kostiv...Warp9? Not sure. I've installed the Batts in the pickup bed, beefed up the suspension, and gutted the vehicle wiring harness of everything related to the ICE.

Now for my questions:

1) Is there a schematic available that outlines each component on the control board and why (at least the big hitters) it is there?

Questions 2 and 3 could probably be answered via (1) but I'll ask anyways.

2) Precharge output -- Is this intended to only operate a contactor? I read some posts in the very long design thread about wanting to incorporate the precharge resistor into the board. My limited electrical knowledge (I'm only a lowly ME) and inspection of the control and power boards tell me that this is not incorporated in this 2C controller and the precharge output is only a driver for a contactor. Correct?

3) I have access to alot of (really) cheap parts through my work and in interest of saving money I'd like to use as much of them as I can. I have my eye on 2 different throttle peddle options. Both are voltage output (0.65v to 3.85v) & (1.1v to 4.2v). Is there a way to modify the the throttle circuit (and maybe software too?) to get these input ranges to work rather than the 0-5K pot?

4) Is it preferred to mount the controller near my battery pack or up near the motor?

Thanks!
Jason

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

experimental - '90 honda crx hf
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 67.81 mpg (US)
Welcome! sorry i have no knowledge to help you with, but welcome anyways, sounds like your on your way to a really awesome project.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ro View Post
1) Is there a schematic available that outlines each component on the control board and why (at least the big hitters) it is there?
Yes. I've heard that the wiki has broken links. I haven't been on here much, but I can email you a schematic if you want.

Quote:
2) Precharge output -- Is this intended to only operate a contactor? I read some posts in the very long design thread about wanting to incorporate the precharge resistor into the board. My limited electrical knowledge (I'm only a lowly ME) and inspection of the control and power boards tell me that this is not incorporated in this 2C controller and the precharge output is only a driver for a contactor. Correct?
Ya, the 2C board just outputs 12v after some programmed amount of time, which can be used to power the 12v coil of a contactor. I've got other boards that incorporate the precharge resistor and everything, but I've had trouble with the power section, and I'm (planning on) still testing it. Right now life keeps getting in the way. We're trying to move out of my mother-in-laws basement, and aren't spending much money, which doesn't allow for much testing either. haha.
Quote:
3) I have access to alot of (really) cheap parts through my work and in interest of saving money I'd like to use as much of them as I can. I have my eye on 2 different throttle peddle options. Both are voltage output (0.65v to 3.85v) & (1.1v to 4.2v). Is there a way to modify the the throttle circuit (and maybe software too?) to get these input ranges to work rather than the 0-5K pot?
Yes there is a way to modify the throttle circuit, and also the software. People have done it, and it seems to work well..
Quote:
4) Is it preferred to mount the controller near my battery pack or up near the motor?
I think it's preferable to keep the motor leads short, so closer to the motor is better.

Quote:
I know karate better than the Karate Kid!
That's very interesting!!! hahaha. Just kidding. I love making people say fake things.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Paul, Thanks for the replies, I was going to email you again but thought maybe I should just post it up here so that other people may get some benefit from your and/or other people's responses.

If you could email a schematic that would be great (you should have my email address). I noticed the Wiki links were broken and it made me so mad that I used my awesome karate kid skillz and broke a chair.

Once I have the schematic I'm going to make a crack at a throttle circuit modification and post it up here for review...buuuut, If anyone already has one availible for these or similar voltages ranges that would be AWESOME!
The Following User Says Thank You to J-Ro For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
LOL. Strike first, strike hard, no mercy sir. I'll email it to you now... It would be good to have that modified circuit up. It would be pretty easy to make a new board that could do either, but you know... saving money and all that. We need someone to host all the wiki stuff I think. I don't know what the heck happened there.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

After going through the trouble of playing with a throttle circuit to accept the voltages I described, I tried to physically mock up one of the throttle peddles I had described. I knew it was goign to probably be a bit on the big side...but for the right price I wouldnt care...but man, "bit on the big side" is the understatement of the century! It wont even come close to fitting in my foot well :-(

Looks like I am going to have to spend money for a 5k Pot. the Curtis 40degreee 5K pot seems to be a good choice.

Does anyone have an opinion on them or maybe a better and or cheaper alternative?

Thanks!
Jason

Reply  Post New Thread