Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Huh?? In your picture, I see five wires. Black, white, grey, yellow, blue. There may even be a sixth wire, but if one is there it is hidden behind the others.

-soD

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mighty Mouse - '93 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 43.3 mpg (US)

Tank - '03 Infinity G35 premium
90 day: 22.24 mpg (US)
No, what you see is correct. There are only 5 wires. Slot 5 is empty you just can't see it. The thing that I'm boggled by is that 8 pin female connects to 8 pin male (new 5 wire 02). Pins 3 and 4 of 8 pin female in the instructions are used so they should connect to 8 pin male in the same place otherwise what's the point of those wires? Specifically,

"pin 4 needs to be wired to 6-pin male, pin 3. This line goes via C129, pin 3, and ultimately reaches D3. The old O2 sensor did not use D3. But we're taking advantage of the fact that C129 already is connected to D3, even in a CA VX."

I'm confused because on 8 pin male (new 5 wire 02) pin 4 there is no connection to the ECU.

Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing...
Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
I'll have to double-check my O2 sensor...
Old 02-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
There is a calibration resistor in those two spots that don't have wires on the O2 side. the ECU reads the resistance of it and then knows how to offset the voltage reading it receives and then uses the correct Duty Cycle for the Injectors.

All is well, you've received the right LAF.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
There is a calibration resistor in those two spots that don't have wires on the O2 side. the ECU reads the resistance of it and then knows how to offset the voltage reading it receives and then uses the correct Duty Cycle for the Injectors.

All is well, you've received the right LAF.
Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Got everything installed, double and triple checked all my work. Started up no problem, no check engine light etc...

Only problem is, now the part throttle hesitation i was experiencing previously has gotten much worse. Car runs fine until it reaches operating temp then it bogs and forces you to give it much more gas than before. I can tell having to drive this way is going to kill my MPG for sure. It's almost as though the car won't operate in lean burn mode at all.

When i pulled the old 02 it was white if this helps any.

The car has:
correct timing
new OEM cap, wires, rotor
new NGK plugs,
new fuel pump,

My thoughts are that since the wideband setup is much more sensitive, it's amplifying the problem.

My next guess would be:
clogged EGR, (****ty mechanic said this was working fine last week)
faulty TPS,
faulty MAP

help?...

EDIT:
I just unplugged the MAP and test drove it. Idle was rough but the hesitation went away completely! Does this mean the MAP needs to be replaced or does it mean the real problem is just being masked because the car is now running in limp mode?

Last edited by 93_VX_Guy; 03-02-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Old 04-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_VX_Guy View Post
Got everything installed, double and triple checked all my work. Started up no problem, no check engine light etc...

Only problem is, now the part throttle hesitation i was experiencing previously has gotten much worse. Car runs fine until it reaches operating temp then it bogs and forces you to give it much more gas than before. I can tell having to drive this way is going to kill my MPG for sure. It's almost as though the car won't operate in lean burn mode at all.

When i pulled the old 02 it was white if this helps any.

The car has:
correct timing
new OEM cap, wires, rotor
new NGK plugs,
new fuel pump,

My thoughts are that since the wideband setup is much more sensitive, it's amplifying the problem.

My next guess would be:
clogged EGR, (****ty mechanic said this was working fine last week)
faulty TPS,
faulty MAP

help?...

EDIT:
I just unplugged the MAP and test drove it. Idle was rough but the hesitation went away completely! Does this mean the MAP needs to be replaced or does it mean the real problem is just being masked because the car is now running in limp mode?
Never EVER drive around with a disconnected map sensor! You'll destroy your fuel economy and catalytic converter in short order! Do you have the helms service manual? If you follow the procedures in there, you should kinda be able to figure out things to try. Do you have a cracked exhaust manifold? Vacuum leaks? Cleaned the IACV? Cleaned ALL GROUNDS? When you're cleaning the grounds, do the bolts, washers, eyelets, threads with a wire brush. If there is paint on the chassis, don't scrape it off as the threads themselves are what's needed to conduct electricity. If you have an ohm meter (multimeter that can read ohms) try to get a reading from the O2 sensor to the battery and report back. Getting the ohm reading from the o2 sensor when the manifold is cold, warm and hot can also be useful.

Last edited by imzjustplayin; 04-02-2011 at 06:01 AM..
Old 04-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello,

New to Ecomodder and recently picked up a 93 vx. I would like to convert it to fed vx(every mile counts), i already have the computer and will pick up the wide band o2 sensor soon. I just need the wiring, and will not want to mess it up eventhough there are DIY instructions(this is my daily driver). Will someone be willing to make a plug and play wire conversion? Please PM me. Thank you in advance.

Cheers.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It might be worth asking some of the Honda swap guys. Some make their own conversion harnesses, and may be able to set up one for you if they know what is required. For example, Rywire : .

Just make sure they know what exactly you are asking for and make sure you know exactly what they are going to provide. They generally make stuff to put bigger engines in smaller cars (e.g., B18C into a late-80s Civic or CRX), so "convert VX to fed" may not mean much to them.

-soD
Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thanks Some_other_dave for the information, will look into that, but preferably would prefer someone that has done and make one for a fee.

Cheers.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
5-wire o2 sensor, ca to fed conversion, civic vx