Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
The place I've regularly experienced so-called corridor effect in along I-80 near the IL and IN state lines. With 4-5 lanes I'd get moving walls (semi rigs) on both sides. When towing a trailer it made a huge difference. To me it's surfing a different kind of wave like a tail wind. When it works it's like a beautiful example of crowd source team work. But the mob effect goes the other way too. When log jams slow us to a crawl or stop, we all suffer together. (sigh)

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
IMO there is significant draft to be had when traffic is passing you. I just hang back at 52-54 mph and get a pull from everyone who passes me.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 05-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The road in front of my house is instructive when it rains. Then, the spray pattern caused by vehicles is easily apparent, due to contrast with the dark farmland in the background.

The visible wake behind vehicles is 4-5 times vehicle height, as the vehicle pulls (drags) the air with it, so any following vehicle encounters airflow already moving in the direction of travel. The closer to the rear of the leading vehicle, the more the dragged air matches the leading vehicle's speed. So, at 50 mph and following several car lengths behind another car, the following car may experience turbulent air with an effective airspeed of, say, 25 mph.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...ala' driving with the air, rather than driving against/thru it.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
skin friction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Yeah, I agree, ksa8907. Just this morning again, I was third in line behind a tanker and was able to blast along at 60, getting what I usually get at 52 mph by myself. It helps not P.O.ing traffic behind; the whole karma thing like skyking mentioned.
But the corridor, in my mind, is different than drafting. Related, but different. You can trail quite a bit further back when you're in a corridor.

Interesting comment about the airships, aerohead. I'm thinking it was primarily due to skin friction drag? A lot of surface area on those monsters.

Oh, and Howard Cosell would make an excellent replacement for Marlin Perkins; Steve Irwin is just a little too excitable for me. Ha ha! I'm showing my age.
Yep,pretty much all surface drag.On some of the ships,they kept the airspeed indicator pickups 75-feet away from the hull to guarantee 'virgin' air.

Reply  Post New Thread