EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Of course Elon, with Powerwalls you should bring solar panels (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/course-elon-powerwalls-you-should-bring-solar-panels-35718.html)

botsapper 10-06-2017 04:33 PM

Of course Elon, with Powerwalls you should bring solar panels

"The Tesla team has done this for many smaller islands around the world, but there is no scalability limit, so it can be done for Puerto Rico too. Such a decision would be in the hands of the PR govt, PUC, any commercial stakeholders and, most importantly, the people of PR." Elon Musk.

Tesla and production partner, Panasonic will be making modules that will serve in solar farms and solar tiling systems. Tesla has the opportunity to lead and supply a massive solar initiative to rebuild PR with Tesla microgrids and replace their sole dependence on imported fossil-fuel supplies.

“This is really just the beginning, but I think what this serves as is a good example to the rest of the world of what can be done.” EM

Elon Musk Wants to Replace Puerto Rico's Power Grid With Solar

oil pan 4 10-07-2017 01:26 AM

I see a problem.
Say everyone puts solar panels on their roofs, then they get hit by another cat 5 and most if not all the solar panels get destroyed? It's not a matter of if it will happen, only when.
Historically they get plowed by a cat 5 every 10 to 30 years.
Then they are dirt poor so the chances the can afford a proper cat 2 rated panel mount is further unlikely.

JockoT 10-07-2017 04:22 AM

From what I have read of the situation, the solar panels survived, but the power from the grid didn't, and that stopped the solar panels from being used.

Hersbird 10-07-2017 12:01 PM

The same philosophy of building a better grid can be better applied to the thousands of new developments built every year many where hurricane and tornados seldom if ever happen. Problem is giving them away to new homeowners in middle class neighborhoods isn't as good a PR stunt, and on it you have to spend your own money on them they have to be a financially sound investment. Someday maybe. Maybe if they re-introduced homesteading and each plot had to be self sufficient people should put more effort into it and it wouldn't cost the government anything.

oil pan 4 10-07-2017 12:08 PM

Problem is they don't rarely get hit by a hurricane, they get a little one every few years, it's been a regular occurrence since the end of the last ice age.

Hersbird 10-07-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 551980)
Problem is they don't rarely get hit by a hurricane, they get a little one every few years, it's been a regular occurrence since the end of the last ice age.

I'm talking about not putting them in P.R., but put them in Texas, California, Arizona, Nevada, etc. Where they are building new developments also with no existing infrastructure. See PR stands for public relations as well as Puerto Rico.

freebeard 10-08-2017 05:59 PM

Perhaps you're not, but he is?

Their solar roofing tiles are guaranteed for the life of the house or the end of Universe, whichever comes first. Sounds like a good test case to me.

oil pan 4 10-09-2017 12:00 AM

I like the solar roofing tiles.
WI'll they work as advertised, I don't know but I would like to see.

Fat Charlie 10-09-2017 08:39 AM

The life of the house in a Category 5 isn't likely to be a fair test of the solar roof's long term reliability.

freebeard 10-09-2017 11:29 AM

But it would be a good test of the warranty claims.