Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
What if people don't drive a vehicle anymore ?
You can't just erase what they've achieved with it.

I'd rather see the erroneous entries being weeded out.
I would agree to that!

How about a top list of active cars with tank data in last 4 months (must not keep out those who drive infrequently). There could also be a best ever list that could have all cars in it (minus the erroneous ones).

BTW I am up to #142!

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Ya, I'd agree that there'd be a benefit to having a way to filter out those that enter one incredible fuel log entry and then disappearing. If someone still wants to see the "lifetime best list" that's fine, but a "reality filter" would be useful... 5 or more entries, with the last one in the past 4 (or 6) months.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
You need to have a really low min # of entry's though. If a car is active but the user bikes to work most days it may take a month to get 1 fill up. So keep it like 1 or 2 tanks in the past 3 or 4 months. People can still game the system but they can not avoid the forum for long stretches and still have their data screwing up the charts.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
There are people who only use a 2 tanks of gas a year. Like Darin for instance. I wonder if there is a way to tie it to posts or Last Activity for the lurkers out there. The car in questions last activity was in May.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I propose to continue the discussion on Top 10 List problems in the relevant thread.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasDude View Post
Just had my best tank ever, and it put me on the leader board: Top Ecomodder's % over EPA

Also reached 100% over EPA. I'd be #9 if it wasn't for that weird Camry at the top. 950% over? Really?
Congrats here as well!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I propose to continue the discussion on Top 10 List problems in the relevant thread.
Yes good call. Congrats Vegasdude. Keep it up!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Slipstreampilot

Civic VX - 94 - '94 Honda Civic VX
Last 3: 44.53 mpg (US)

Jetta TDI Sportwagon 1 - '10 Volkswagon Jetta TDI
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Congrats.

Please post the conditions during your measured interval(s) to include type of driving (% Highway, % City), approximate AVG MPH during the tank, grade (hills or flat), and any unconventional driving or extreme hypermiling techniques used.

I personally think one of the most important things missing in the qualifications process for the top mileage list is the conditional aspect - to include the driving conditions.

I believe to establish/maintain the integrity of this site, the moderators should scrub the list and qualify any entries claiming efficiencies in access of 20% over EPA ratings. Special conditions should be used to evaluate the validity and to classify claims. Entries that are generated through experimental or unconventional motor vehicle use should be classified as such, and standard motor vehicle operation should be classified accordingly. Modifications should also be clearly listed and evaluated for real-world applicability.

Just for example - I can have my car towed to the top of Pike's Peak and coast down the mountain to produce some great gas mileage numbers - but is that realistic? Obviously not. Additionally, anyone who goes out and causes traffic jams through the use of extreme hypermiling techniques (in order to produce good gas mileage numbers) is also not being genuine either - not to mention the obvious dangers and aggravation caused by that activity.

Qualifying mileage claims is as, if not more important than the claim itself.

There are many more claims on the top mileage list that have zero credibility - I had to scroll for a while before I saw one claim that was believable from a real driving standpoint.

Last edited by slipstreampilot; 09-09-2010 at 09:45 PM..
Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
See ya at the next light!

Slowest. Altima. Ever. - '05 Nissan Altima SE
90 day: 45.91 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstreampilot View Post
Congrats.

Please post the conditions during your measured interval(s) to include type of driving (% Highway, % City), approximate AVG MPH during the tank, grade (hills or flat), and any unconventional driving or extreme hypermiling techniques used.

I personally think one of the most important things missing in the qualifications process for the top mileage list is the conditional aspect - to include the driving conditions.

I believe to establish/maintain the integrity of this site, the moderators should scrub the list and qualify any entries claiming efficiencies in access of 20% over EPA ratings. Special conditions should be used to evaluate the validity and to classify claims. Entries that are generated through experimental or unconventional motor vehicle use should be classified as such, and standard motor vehicle operation should be classified accordingly. Modifications should also be clearly listed and evaluated for real-world applicability.

Just for example - I can have my car towed to the top of Pike's Peak and coast down the mountain to produce some great gas mileage numbers - but is that realistic? Obviously not. Additionally, anyone who goes out and causes traffic jams through the use of extreme hypermiling techniques (in order to produce good gas mileage numbers) is also not being genuine either - not to mention the obvious dangers and aggravation caused by that activity.

Qualifying mileage claims is as, if not more important than the claim itself.

There are many more claims on the top mileage list that have zero credibility - I had to scroll for a while before I saw one claim that was believable from a real driving standpoint.
To answer your first question: 99.93% City driving at 35 MPH max cruise speed, max pulse speed of 45 MPH. Min glide speed of 18 (but that's very rare) Average speed was 22 MPH. That includes all the time stopped, waiting for lights to change. Average gradient to work is +.9%; -.9% the way home. Driving techniques include EOC (aka FAS), DFCO, P+G, potentinal parking, face out parking, ridge riding, using my eyes and brain, putting the cell phone away. Mods to the car include max sidewall pressure, pass. mirror delete, wiper delete, mud flap delete, partial grill block, engine kill switch, 0-W-30 Mobil-1 oil. The most important mod though is patience and experience on the road. This means I can time the lights well and even with 22 of them in 11 miles, on a good day I can get 42 MPG to work. the downhill leg can easily top 70 MPG. (BTW the average of those is 52.5, not 56) So yeah, that's my hypermiling lesson in a nutshell.

The vehicles and techniques we discuss here run the gamut from completely unmodified cars, to those that bear little resemblance to what they began life as, or are powered by vastly different sources. As such, it's tough to qualify our respective mileage achievements into concrete categories, if that’s what you’re suggesting. It’s a pretty safe bet that most of us are hypermiling. BTW, most auto vs manual cars only vary in their EPA ratings by 1-2 MPG, but in real life the manuals are quite literally, miles ahead.

To my knowledge there are no prizes for posting unverified mileage gains over the internet, so there’s little reason to do it. That alone keeps most people honest. The only verified mileage claims are those that occur at competitions.

In reference to your last point, I would keep an open mind, a consistent performance of 125% over EPA isn't uncommon or unbelievable among the more experienced drivers. I have seen it possible even with my car, it's just not doable to make up an entire tank of gas (yet). It requires a lot of careful driving that doesn't include stop lights or other drivers.

Lastly, keep in mind than some of the cars here use alternative energy sources or are converted PHEVs, so the mileage gains they post don't compare apples to apples with everyone else's.

Last edited by VegasDude; 09-10-2010 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: fixed typos
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstreampilot View Post
I believe to establish/maintain the integrity of this site, the moderators should scrub the list and qualify any entries claiming efficiencies in access of 20% over EPA ratings.
I lolled at this one. I take it you're new here? Welcome aboard.

You can get 20% over EPA while keeping up with traffic and being quite civil about it. Just leave ample space in front of you so you don't have to hit the brakes, coast to stops in Neutral (coast down to 20mph, then hit the brakes), and use DWL instead of cruise control. Bonus points for time spent with the engine off.

Check out the bottom (i.e. oldest) five entries of my fuel log here: 1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton Gas Mileage (Soldbaru) - EcoModder.com

My MPG kept rising even as it got colder and colder, and all I did was add instrumentation and watch my technique. I slowed down a little, from PSL +14 to PSL +9 on the interstate. I used to run PSL +9, but after a little run-in with the law, I like to keep it to PSL +8 now. Still beating the EPA by a healthy margin, thanks in part to some mods.

The leaderboard is a bit of a competition, but hypermiling isn't against the rules. This means I'm not very competitive vs. the other active Insight drivers on this site. Oh well, I'm okay with that.

Reply  Post New Thread