Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
That gas tank should take you about 1,000 miles or so

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Dime - '95 Chevy S10 LS ExtCab RWD
Pickups
90 day: 18.23 mpg (US)

G/A - '96 Pontiac Grand Am
Team Pontiac
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)
Double check with others for precise angles and whatnot, but I'm thinking this is about what you'd want to do..

Angle your "horizontal" flat piece up at the back, from bottom of car seats to about 2/3rds up the back of the tire. Approx 12*?

Then for the bike, 'channel' out about 1' wide, and build vertical walls down. The idea is to flow the air smoothly under the back end, while channeling air around the tire that sticks out.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
Maybe this would be making things to complicated, but maybe it would be possible to use both the car's engine, and a motorcycle engine. Just use the motorcycle engine while at cruise on the highway? Not quite sure how you would switch over smoothly, but it's a thought
That would be easy to switch over have the clutch pedal to engage both clutches at the same time. Turn one off turn one on heck turn them both on for fun
Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Double check with others for precise angles and whatnot, but I'm thinking this is about what you'd want to do..

Angle your "horizontal" flat piece up at the back, from bottom of car seats to about 2/3rds up the back of the tire. Approx 12*?

Then for the bike, 'channel' out about 1' wide, and build vertical walls down. The idea is to flow the air smoothly under the back end, while channeling air around the tire that sticks out.
Thanks I will use this info when the time comes.

That gas tank should take you about 1,000 miles or so

10 gal
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Pickups

Team Pontiac
I wouldn't worry about using both the motorcycle engine and the CRX engine. That would create extra chain drag or driveline drag when the other isn't engaged. And besides, burning gas is still burning gas. A bike pushing around a CRX&motor wouldn't do much for mileage.

However, if you consider adapting a golf cart motor into the motorcycle frame, adding some batteries strategically for weight distribution, and jackshaft it appropriately, you could use the electric drive for up to ~25mph, then CRX on long drives. When the electric is engaged, keep the CRX idling to keep power brakes, etc and to charge batteries. There's the box, then there's thinking outside of it..

Play around using this Calculator, it's based on gas motors and go-karts, but figure approximately 3000RPM from a golf cart motor, and figure out your actual wheel circumference. Just goofing around, I tried a 24/64 and 24/64 jackshaft ratio at 3000RPM and it gave 25.97MPH.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #46 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about using both the motorcycle engine and the CRX engine. That would create extra chain drag or driveline drag when the other isn't engaged. And besides, burning gas is still burning gas. A bike pushing around a CRX&motor wouldn't do much for mileage.

However, if you consider adapting a golf cart motor into the motorcycle frame, adding some batteries strategically for weight distribution, and jackshaft it appropriately, you could use the electric drive for up to ~25mph, then CRX on long drives. When the electric is engaged, keep the CRX idling to keep power brakes, etc and to charge batteries. There's the box, then there's thinking outside of it..
Bad idea. You don't need power brakes on a CRX as it is, and they already don't (mostly) have power steering.

The net effect won't be a weight reduction, but it will be less brakes overall, and less tire contact surface, which means you want less leveraged force on the brakes to compensate.

Plus, burning a bunch of fuel to recharge the batteries is probably one of the least efficient ways to do that. If you're only using it for speeds up to 25MPH, you're probably also using it only around town... in the event that your (deep cycle) batteries get low, you can always start the engine and let it charge the batteries to get you home, or better yet, keep them out of that circuit altogether and drive home on gas, then grid charge the batteries like you should.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
Smurf (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Make sure to add yours in their galleries;

3-wheeler Project Gallery

Reverse Trike - Build Projects

DoolenHome

For $2,500, what this is, I do not know.

Peugeot - 20Cup

The Blackjack Zero

The Following User Says Thank You to botsapper For This Useful Post:
pquijal (02-09-2013)
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Pickups

Team Pontiac
That 350ci reverse trike would be a great starter idea for a MPG build. Instead of a Toronado V8, use a Metro 1.0L. Stretch the frame back another 18" so you sit down in front of the rear wheel instead of over it, get out of the air flow. And I don't know about a single-sided swingarm, that sounds dangerous in a 2F1R.

Good video, makes my mind wander

Old 10-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
That 350ci reverse trike would be a great starter idea for a MPG build. Instead of a Toronado V8, use a Metro 1.0L. Stretch the frame back another 18" so you sit down in front of the rear wheel instead of over it, get out of the air flow. And I don't know about a single-sided swingarm, that sounds dangerous in a 2F1R.

Good video, makes my mind wander
If you've seen how that SSSA is designed, you'd probably rescind that statement.

In general, the SSSA is just as strong as, if not stronger than traditional "grapple" style swingers. They're usually over-engineered to deal with non-standard and non-linear stresses.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Little update
light seats 60.00

Have a old header I will try for the getting it on the road thing. Any input on a better exhaust? I know the pipe is big on it and the stock system would be better Any thoughts? 1.75 dia so not to far off of the 1.5 exhaust for the HF

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gf 025.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	11761   Click image for larger version

Name:	gf 026.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	11762  

Last edited by groundflyer; 10-30-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread